Electric Step stopped retracting automatically (1 Viewer)

N&K

Free Member
May 26, 2008
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630L
Exp
Hi Everyone

I have a "mappa" step on our Autoroller. It has stopped retracting automatically when the ignition/engine is started. The manual operation of the step works 100%.

I have pulled out the fridge vent and found a relay and the wires to the manual in/out switch. The Microswitch on the step looks to be working fine on the underside of the motorhome.

Any ideas on how to get it working again? Could it just need a new relay?

thanks in advance

N&K

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
maybe a silly question but have you checked to see if everything else 12 volt is working it could be a fuse - sometimes the manufacturers use in line fuses they can be right b--er to find simple circuit tester might help

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Could it just need a new relay?

N&K

two ways to find out.

touch the relay while someone turns on the ignition....you should feel the relay click in.

another way is to find the live feed wire to the relay and the feed wire from the relay to the step motor.

remove from relay and connect them together and turn on the ignition.....if the step retracts the motor's working but the relay is kaput.

relays arent expensive and it could be useful to have a spare anyway.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
N

N&K

Free Member
May 26, 2008
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630L
Exp
hi

Everything seems to work, and all fuses are ok in the box. I have just traced some more wiring under the sink, and now I'm off to find my 12v meter. I have opened the relay and if I push the relay manually the step goes in, so I suspect its not getting its signal to retract or the relay is dead. If I find the 12V which goes on and off with the ignition then I assume its gotta be the relay now....cheers.

Thanks pappajohn, there is no click on the relay when the ignition is turned on/started. Once i take a meter reading and see if there is 12V then hopefully just the relay :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

N&K

Free Member
May 26, 2008
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630L
Exp
Hi Landy lover & Pappa John

thanks, the 12V signal is there when the ignition is on, but there is no action from the relay. I'll go to Halfrawds tomorrow and let them rip me off for a new one ::bigsmile:

thanks for the quick replies hopefully that will fix it.

Cheers N&K

Last edited:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi, whilst it is olmost certainly the relay failed the question is why. Increased current drawn because the step is stiff and sticking is probably the answer, make sure you clean, oil/grease as instructed by the manufacturer. don't be tempted to mask the problem by increasing the wattage of the relay.
Good luck.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi, whilst it is olmost certainly the relay fail the question is why. Increased current drawn because the step is stiff and sticking is probably the answer, make sure you clean, oil/grease as instructed by the manufacturer. don't be tempted to mask the problem by increasing the wattage of the relay.
Good luck.

or the ampage.....
relays are rated in amps roger:thumb:

too low an ampage relay and it will burn out but too high and the fuse will blow if theres an overload fault leaving the relay undamaged.
probably better with a slightly higher ampage relay in my opinion.

you having an off day roger?::bigsmile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Landy lover & Pappa John

thanks, the 12V signal is there when the ignition is on, but there is no action from the relay. I'll go to Halfrawds tomorrow and let them rip me off for a new one ::bigsmile:

thanks for the quick replies hopefully that will fix it.

Cheers N&K

check the relay earth connection.....remove the earth, clean it and replace.
or run another temporary wire from the relay earth terminal to a known good earth to see if it works then.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back