RAC European Breakdown Cover - Impressed by Countries Included (1 Viewer)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I have had European breakdown cover with the RAC for a couple of years now but in planning for a slightly more adventurous trip I checked the countries covered and found where I wanted to go was not included as I only had Zones 1 & 2.

Ringing the RAC they charged me an extra £50 to include what they call Zone 3 countries, which effectively is the whole of Eastern Europe, as shown on the map below.

Unfortunately, they only cover MHs up to 3500kg which is fine for us and it includes repatriation of the vehicle if it cannot be locally repaired up to the market value of the vehicle.

The policy runs out this September so I might look elsewhere then, for example ADAC but for the moment I'm covered for where we want to go. :)

zone-3.jpg

andrewjw

Free Member
Oct 23, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
La Strada Regent L
Exp
20 years plus
That seems good value to me...

Where are you planning to go?

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
That seems good value to me...

Where are you planning to go?
Nothing too adventurous, Slovenia and Croatia but further south if not too hot and the co-pilot agrees!

Now need to look at the coverage of the vehicle and medical insurance.

andrewjw

Free Member
Oct 23, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
La Strada Regent L
Exp
20 years plus
Nothing too adventurous, Slovenia and Croatia but further south if not too hot and the co-pilot agrees!

Now need to look at the coverage of the vehicle and medical insurance.

Hopefully both your vehicle and medical insurance should be ok for Slovenia and Croatia as they are both in the EU...

We'll be in S Croatia [again!] for most of May...will look out for you!:)

Reactions: DBK
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I have had European breakdown cover with the RAC for a couple of years now but in planning for a slightly more adventurous trip I checked the countries covered and found where I wanted to go was not included as I only had Zones 1 & 2.

Ringing the RAC they charged me an extra £50 to include what they call Zone 3 countries, which effectively is the whole of Eastern Europe, as shown on the map below.

Unfortunately, they only cover MHs up to 3500kg which is fine for us and it includes repatriation of the vehicle if it cannot be locally repaired up to the market value of the vehicle.

The policy runs out this September so I might look elsewhere then, for example ADAC but for the moment I'm covered for where we want to go. :)

View attachment 98254
£50 more than what?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
As I mentioned originally when the current policy expires I'll try ADAC. They weren't taking new UK customers a while ago, only renewals for existing customers. Hopefully things have changed.

Andy in Lossie

Free Member
Mar 29, 2016
Lossiemouth
Funster No
MH
Burstner A Class
Exp
Done a bit
RAC only cover for a 90 day trip in the EU according to their T&Cs. I have sent an email to ADAC to try and get some clarification on their 90 day limit or not policy. I'll post when I get a reply.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
RAC only cover for a 90 day trip in the EU according to their T&Cs. I have sent an email to ADAC to try and get some clarification on their 90 day limit or not policy. I'll post when I get a reply.

Don't think there is a limit on ADAC...somewhere on the forum is an English translation of their terms and conditions,,,BUSBY.

Andy in Lossie

Free Member
Mar 29, 2016
Lossiemouth
Funster No
MH
Burstner A Class
Exp
Done a bit
Don't think there is a limit on ADAC...somewhere on the forum is an English translation of their terms and conditions,,,BUSBY.

Hi Busby, that's what I mean, there seems to be conflicting info. I phoned ADAC yesterday and the lady that I spoke to said that I would need to return to the UK every 90 days to maintain their cover. As has been mentioned in other threads, it seems to depend on who you get to contact at ADAC as to how the rules are interpreted and unless I have it in writing from them that up to 6 months is ok in EU, I would feel vulnerable that I wouldn't be covered if we broke down, post 90 days.

Andy in Lossie

Free Member
Mar 29, 2016
Lossiemouth
Funster No
MH
Burstner A Class
Exp
Done a bit
Comfort Insurance.. 365 foreign use..

Full UK & Continental Breakdown Cover, with no Limits on Height, Weight or Length.

Cost me £60 for the full year ..

Sounds great, do you have to have one of their van insurance policies to "bolt" this on to or can you just buy it as a stand alone? (Comfort were £200 dearer for their policy and thought that I could get RAC EU cover for £110 but then read their T&Cs ..... 90 day/trip)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Sounds great, do you have to have one of their van insurance policies to "bolt" this on to or can you just buy it as a stand alone? (Comfort were £200 dearer for their policy and thought that I could get RAC EU cover for £110 but then read their T&Cs ..... 90 day/trip)

as far as I know they don't do a 'bolt on', it comes as an option with the policy.. all in, mine was £340 this year ..

Andy in Lossie

Free Member
Mar 29, 2016
Lossiemouth
Funster No
MH
Burstner A Class
Exp
Done a bit
as far as I know they don't do a 'bolt on', it comes as an option with the policy.. all in, mine was £340 this year ..

Ok thanks for that, it's what I suspected. Comfort quoted £465, CC £265 so thought that that was a no brainer. Next year I should be in a stronger position knowing exactly what we need and which products offer the added benefits i.e. breakdown cover for long periods. The small print is a minefield as always.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
R

RAC Advantage T&Cs not limited to 90 day EU trip?

Possibly different T&Cs with the Aviva policy ..

as far as I can determine, there is no 90 day trip time limit on the Comfort / Aviva breakdown cover abroad, not in the schedule or policy document.. but worth asking the question if it is important..

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Hi Busby, that's what I mean, there seems to be conflicting info. I phoned ADAC yesterday and the lady that I spoke to said that I would need to return to the UK every 90 days to maintain their cover. As has been mentioned in other threads, it seems to depend on who you get to contact at ADAC as to how the rules are interpreted and unless I have it in writing from them that up to 6 months is ok in EU, I would feel vulnerable that I wouldn't be covered if we broke down, post 90 days.
When i broke down in SPAIN they never asked,,,,i will try and find their conditions,,think i have them on file. BUSBY.

Andy in Lossie

Free Member
Mar 29, 2016
Lossiemouth
Funster No
MH
Burstner A Class
Exp
Done a bit
Possibly different T&Cs with the Aviva policy ..

as far as I can determine, there is no 90 day trip time limit on the Comfort / Aviva breakdown cover abroad, not in the schedule or policy document.. but worth asking the question if it is important..

Going to over-winter in southern EU so need longer than 90 days and, having read the RAC Premium cover T&C their policy is a no go. Hopefully get a positive reply from ADAC.

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
when I contacted RAC through CCC it was a good deal until I found out that they only cover you for ONE call out per trip.

Andy in Lossie

Free Member
Mar 29, 2016
Lossiemouth
Funster No
MH
Burstner A Class
Exp
Done a bit
So far it's looking as though my only option is ADAC and hope that you get the "right" operative if I breakdown after 90 days out of the UK! :cautious:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
So far it's looking as though my only option is ADAC and hope that you get the "right" operative if I breakdown after 90 days out of the UK! :cautious:

Not found it yet,,,SAGA cover 365 days a year///

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Busby, is the Saga breakdown part of their insurance policy or do they offer a stand alone breakdown through one of the big 3?

I don't honestly know,,,,BUSBY.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back