Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Just wondered what people's thoughts were regarding Elddis motorhomes, we're looking at a '62 plate 175 majestic, we've had Elddis caravans in the past and always found them fine, any feedback welcome
Dave

AMK

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
gainsborough
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2014
Elldis seem to be excellent value for money and they don't seem to hit the radar like autotrail and swift for problems. I've been thinking about one myself. If you go European it will cost you another 20,000 and you don't get 20,000 more for your money, just 20,000 less in the bank.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Had one with the Majestic branding, same thing though.

All I'm going to say is I would never have anything else made by Eldiss even if they were going to pay me to take it.

OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013

All I'm going to say is I would never have anything else made by Eldiss even if they were going to pay me to take it.

I'm guessing you had a lot of problems then?

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013

Could not agree more, our Elddis issues are on this forum somewhere. Still like everything i am sure there are some good ones out there but wide berth for me as once bitten and all that. Do your homework before parting with the money, make sure everything works and look for the obvious signs of misuse or bad workmanship. Ours was a 63 plate 155, i knew we were selling it straight after the first trip with the all issues which should not of been on a new vehicle. The trouble is i have got more issues with a new Autotrail Frontier Delaware that was twice the price.

On the positive side with a 2nd hand vehicle you would hope all the issues are sorted and you dont lose so much money when you buy or sell it. :)

OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Elldis seem to be excellent value for money and they don't seem to hit the radar like autotrail and swift for problems. I've been thinking about one myself. If you go European it will cost you another 20,000 and you don't get 20,000 more for your money, just 20,000 less in the bank.

Yes that's what I'm thinking, the layout would suit us as well

OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Could not agree more, our Elddis issues are on this forum somewhere. Still like everything i am sure there are some good ones out there but wide berth for me as once bitten and all that. Do your homework before parting with the money, make sure everything works and look for the obvious signs of misuse or bad workmanship. Ours was a 63 plate 155, i knew we were selling it straight after the first trip with the all issues which should not of been on a new vehicle. The trouble is i have got more issues with a new Autotrail Frontier Delaware that was twice the price.

On the positive side with a 2nd hand vehicle you would hope all the issues are sorted and you dont lose so much money when you buy or sell it. :)

Whatever motorhome you look at there is always horror stories on here, some won't buy British at all but personally the van needs to be comfortable so sat in an upright chair throughout the holiday wouldn't interest me at all. Unfortunately you have also shown that we can spend a lot more money and still get issues, sorry to hear of your problems

LAM

Apr 23, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 Welcome
Exp
Began with the purchase of our first, ever MH in 2014
Our first, ever MH was a Majestic (a short time ago). Had no or few, only 'teething problems'. We loved it but following the necessary 'hab check' it threw up a 'big issue' which put a huge question mark as to whether the longevity of the van would be in tact. However, the dealer dealt with it in such a professional way we are now in possession of a completely different MH with a layout that is more suitable.
We all know everyone have their own opinion and what will suit one would not the other. So with that said, this new venture for us is another thing that needs to be experienced before we find out what we actually need/want..... and of course, it depends on what we expect from our Motorhomes ?? :reel:
:whistle2::imoutahere::imoutahere:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I'm guessing you had a lot of problems then?

If you have a search on here I'm sure I posted the gist of it a while ago. My main issues were with the build quality and the way it drove.

I'm not the only one by any means.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
'hab check' it threw up a 'big issue'

I wonder if that was the quite well known and quite common "big issue" that they have.

Did it affect the back of the vehicle by any chance?

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Surely the only reviews on their website will be favourable ones? How is that unbiased?

Reviews by definition are biased one way or the other.

Maybe, maybe not - how can you be sure ?

I disagree with your definition - there are many people who give honest reviews without bias.

You are clearly anti Elddis for reasons you didn't state.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Surely the only reviews on their website will be favourable ones? How is that unbiased?

Reviews by definition are biased one way or the other.
Am getting the feeling you don't like Elddis Nic(y)

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Our 2014 Aspire ha now done several trips to France and covered about12,000 miles without missing a beat. We find it meets all our requirements and was competitively priced. No complaints at all. It is our first motorhame having been caravanners for over thirty years/ Whilst caravanning we bought our first one sencondhand (an old Sprite) and followed that with around 10 new vans - 2 Adrias and the rest all British. Only the Adrias came fault free and maintained that state throughout our ownership.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Maybe, maybe not - how can you be sure ?

I disagree with your definition - there are many people who give honest reviews without bias.

You are clearly anti Elddis for reasons you didn't state.

Why on earth would a manufacturer allow negative reviews of their product on their own website? That would be just silly.

I agree that many people can give partially honest reviews however I would never look for them anywhere connected with the company being reviewed. I say partially honest because any review contains an element of the reviewers opinion on the subject which will either be positive or negative therefore biased.

Yes, after my experiences I suppose it would be fair to describe me as anti Eldiss. The reasons are the appalling build quality of the vehicle which I don't accept can be a one off, the way it felt to drive at anything over 40mph was simply horrible and finally I know the details of the main design/build flaw that they had. They may have fixed this but as they never owned up to it in the first place I guess we'll never know. The vehicle that I owned was affected by it but luckily I sold it before it came to light. I have spoken to several other people unfortunate enough to be affected by the same problem whilst they still owned the vehicle.

I won't post the details on an open forum because the only evidence I have is anecdotal and I know that things like that can cause Jim problems. If you really want to know PM me and I will give you the details but they are not to be re posted here.

OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Our 2014 Aspire ha now done several trips to France and covered about12,000 miles without missing a beat. We find it meets all our requirements and was competitively priced. No complaints at all. It is our first motorhame having been caravanners for over thirty years/ Whilst caravanning we bought our first one sencondhand (an old Sprite) and followed that with around 10 new vans - 2 Adrias and the rest all British. Only the Adrias came fault free and maintained that state throughout our ownership.

I think our 2 Elddis caravans were better quality internally than our current Swift motorhome, which is a Bolero so not base range, and a Bailey Pegasus caravan. I'm a carpenter/ joiner by trade and so I'm quite critical, the latches and catches on the Bailey were awful, the Swift is poor in in quality as well, I always found the Elddis to be decent for the money. A lot of manufacturers use the same base, Fiat or Peugeot, so surely there can't be that much difference in that respect, it's a minefield of opinions I suppose!

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Visiting the Elddis website shows reviews from various respected independent Caravan & Motorhome media companies whose reviews I would expect to be objective & unbiased.
The many awards Elddis have earned & achieved over many years are not biased i.m.o. as they are independently awarded.

Of course there are bound to be lemons of any make / model & it's regrettable that you purchased one, maybe it had issues you were unaware of.
It should be noted that, as with any vehicle, generally only the complaints are made public as the many thousands of content Elddis / other makes owners rarely, if ever, post to state that their vehicle is operating perfectly. :)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Of course there are bound to be lemons of any make / model & it's regrettable that you purchased one, maybe it had issues you were unaware of.
It should be noted that, as with any vehicle, generally only the complaints are made public as the many thousands of content Elddis / other makes owners rarely, if ever, post to state that their vehicle is operating perfectly

Ignore my opinions about the build quality and the way it drives. I was merely stating my opinion of those things, nothing more. I've come across perhaps 10ish Eldiss owners to talk to. Of those 10 people, 3 (maybe 4, I forget) have reported the same design issue that my van had. If you include my vehicle that's either 35% or 45% of the, admittedly small, sample. That's far too many to just write off as the odd lemon.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Perhaps not relevant to your van as it's quite a bit newer than ours, but we have got a 07 compass(elddis) avantgard, had it three years and never plan on selling it , it is everything we need in a mh, and never had any trouble at all in the living part , had a bit of trouble with the Peugeot part, but that's the same with all of them(y)

Jun 17, 2015
Portsmouth
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
July 2015 plus 20 years of camping
Have been very happy with our 2011 elddis 180. Yes the tanks are a bit small and the interior is a bit more basic than some more luxury models. But the payload is good, it drives nicely, even with the 100bhp 2.2 hdi peugeot. Its comfy and it was reasonably priced. I think its an ideal holiday machine.

Now if i was looking for a van for living in longer term or for extended touring then i'd probably want to stump up more cash for an A class. But theres nothing wrong with the Elddis.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Visiting the Elddis website shows reviews from various respected independent Caravan & Motorhome media companies whose reviews I would expect to be objective & unbiased.
The many awards Elddis have earned & achieved over many years are not biased i.m.o. as they are independently awarded.

It should be noted that, as with any vehicle, generally only the complaints are made public as the many thousands of content Elddis / other makes owners rarely, if ever, post to state that their vehicle is operating perfectly. :)
Am not so sure these are awards mean a great deal since there all given by the British press/public, if they have won an international award that's different because they would then be competing against the Germany/French and others
Friends that we go away with every couple of weeks have an Elddis and they have had no problems over the last 3 yrs (07) plate

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Ignore my opinions about the build quality and the way it drives. I was merely stating my opinion of those things, nothing more. I've come across perhaps 10ish Eldiss owners to talk to. Of those 10 people, 3 (maybe 4, I forget) have reported the same design issue that my van had. If you include my vehicle that's either 35% or 45% of the, admittedly small, sample. That's far too many to just write off as the odd lemon.

Ours is nearly six years old with no issues, no faults, everything works & it drives as I expect it to, every M.O.T. has been passed with zero advisories.

Maybe we're lucky to have purchased a meticulously serviced & maintained example.

This factual information is the other side of the coin.

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Absolutely.

Your factual information is no more or less valid than mine though.

It is if you were sold a pup . . .

If all, or even the majority of Elddis M.H.'s were as bad as your example, ours would likely be in the same category, but it isn't.

You state you wouldn't have another even if you were given one free & that is based on your individual one bad experience which clearly doesn't reflect on every Elddis M.H.

OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Am not so sure these are awards mean a great deal since there all given by the British press/public, if they have won an international award that's different because they would then be competing against the Germany/French and others
Friends that we go away with every couple of weeks have an Elddis and they have had no problems over the last 3 yrs (07) plate

I think it proves that amongst the other British manufacturers that it holds its own, even at a cheaper price, German/ French vans aren't in the same price bracket really

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
It is if you were sold a pup . . .

If all, or even the majority of Elddis M.H.'s were as bad as your example, ours would likely be in the same category, but it isn't.

You state you wouldn't have another even if you were given one free & that is based on your individual one bad experience which clearly doesn't reflect on every Elddis M.H.

As I posted before, of the people I've spoken to (in the flesh, not on a forum) who own or have owned them nearly half have been "sold a pup"

That's far too big a ratio for me.

If yours is one of the good ones and you're happy with it that's great for you but the "pups" are far more widespread than you seem to want to accept.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

No , he said he wouldn't have another one " Even if they were paying him to take it " .:) Which is even worse ! :LOL:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
No , he said he wouldn't have another one " Even if they were paying him to take it " .:) Which is even worse ! :LOL:

I'd probably even pay them not to try and sell me another one :LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back