sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I have read that when A framing putting a bungy around the steering wheel spoke to a seat frame helps keep the wheels straight especially if trying to reverse?
Any comments?

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
As when towing round a sharp bend the steering wheel may turn more than half a turn, the bungee could end up preventing the wheels returning to straight ahead. Probably a bad idea. I don't think a bungee would be strong enough to prevent the wheels moving in reverse anyway.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Whats happening with the steering wheel about 40 sec in? Looks to be loads of movement

Last edited:
OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
And also a load of banging as he pullaway after the 3 point turn. I read that a bungy on the steering wheel restricts the movement, not stop it but creat friction to reduce the caster effect?

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
The relationship of Caster angle and "Trail" as the Americans refer to it is a complex one but both working together will aid steering.

Caster gives a damping effect whilst trail helps with the steering wheel returning to the straight ahead feeling.

Sadly whilst reversing the opposite effect is encountered. The steering wheels will want to oppose the straight ahead position and under this situation the tyres will scrub unless the occupant holds the steering wheels in the correct position.

Interesting though because of this I discovered that if you really do have the need for a tight turning circle reversing will almost every time turn tighter than ahead.

Even the old Triumph Herald with it's ridiculously small turning circle could turn even tighter if done in reverse.

This doesn't help when reversing whilst towing an unmanned vehicle and I would imagine a very strong bungy might just help but I would want to inspect upon pulling away again to make sure all was as required.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
A bungy could be used.....but not for keeping the wheel straight.
A bungy doesnt have enough elastic strength to hold the wheel anyway.
The only thing which will do that job is a solid belt/strap or the steering lock....defeating the object.

What it should be used for is to assist the brake pedal back up after braking.
Placed on the brake pedal and around the seat frame will help pull back the pedal against any resistance in the A frame brake cable thus preventing brake bind and overheating.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2015
Ashbourne
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 645
Exp
Since 2013
Definitely a bad idea when driving. The caster action of the from wheels will keep it straight behind you. Locking or restricting the steering wheel will try to keep the towed car going straight when you want to turn. This can be proved...,try pushing a supermarket trolley with a donkey wheel round a corner ... It wants to go straight on.
Mike

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back