Free Member
Jan 13, 2015
Nr Aberystwyth
Funster No
MH
A class, Hymer 620 mli
Exp
since 1982
Gaslow is great, but I wonder...does anyone make a rectangular log tank that fits in the usual cabinet?

Deleted User
It's very rare to see a pressure vessel anything other than "round"

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
Indeed they are all cylinders for a reason, rectangular tanks would need to be much heavier and thus expensive to contain the gas pressure. Gasit also supply tanks for chassis fitting

Broken Link Removed

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Correct (y)

Or at least, they try to :)
A friend of mine supports his son who has been racing hovercraft for the past 25 years. By 'supports' I mean he does most of the engineering required to fit the engines, exhausts, ducts, and fans, to the basic GRP moulding. The engines are usually tuned two-stroke snowmobile engines of up to 900cc - most are triples. He has gained a reputation in the Hovercraft Club for making various bits - some of which are expansion chamber exhausts. He makes these from two sheets of flat 1mm steel cut to contorted shapes then edge welded. He inflates this totally flat assembly using hydraulic pressure from a hand-pump. Normally required pressure is 700psi at which the exhaust assumes a round cross-section with the various diameters and bends needed. The final operation is to dress the welded seams with a panel beating hammer. With the pressure locked for this operation it is like hitting a solid steel object and allows the weld (and the inverted crease alongside it) to be beaten out. Pressurised fluid is very, very solid.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
A friend of mine supports his son who has been racing hovercraft for the past 25 years. By 'supports' I mean he does most of the engineering required to fit the engines, exhausts, ducts, and fans, to the basic GRP moulding. The engines are usually tuned two-stroke snowmobile engines of up to 900cc - most are triples. He has gained a reputation in the Hovercraft Club for making various bits - some of which are expansion chamber exhausts. He makes these from two sheets of flat 1mm steel cut to contorted shapes then edge welded. He inflates this totally flat assembly using hydraulic pressure from a hand-pump. Normally required pressure is 700psi at which the exhaust assumes a round cross-section with the various diameters and bends needed. The final operation is to dress the welded seams with a panel beating hammer. With the pressure locked for this operation it is like hitting a solid steel object and allows the weld (and the inverted crease alongside it) to be beaten out. Pressurised fluid is very, very solid.

Hydroforming

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back