Help required re:Floor repair. (1 Viewer)

Gorsecover59

Free Member
Jun 6, 2011
Jersey
Funster No
MH
Swift,Lifestyle 530l
Exp
new
Hi Guys,
Hoping you can guide me in the right direction.
Have a 2002 530l swift sundance which when I bought it 4 1/2 years ago had some slight damage to the underside floor behind one of the rear wheels. It looked to be stone damage which is deteriorating slightly over a period of time. The floor is not soft, but in a few small areas the outer layer of ply is staring to come away and a few small holes are appearing.
I was thinking about using wood hardener followed by filler then a waterproof coat of some sort.
Some pics are attached
What do you think?
Any advice would be very welcome.
Martin

Attachments

• P8260017.jpg
    P8260017.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 85
  • P8260018.jpg
    P8260018.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 83
  • P8260021.jpg
    P8260021.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 78

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Your method is sound for sure, substitute filler for a resin based material and your 100% there(y)
they do a product called bridging filler in the trade that is resin and
fibre glass strands mixed, just add the Catalyst and it sets in minuets
then choose either underseal or the old waxoil treatment as a finish, i would prefer waxoil as it too will soak into the wood
Car body filler is not waterproof and will absorb moister and expand when wet or damp
G

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
It certainly doesn't look too serious in the pictures, I would probably be tempted to seal it well as it is bitumen based or waxoyl as suggested by geo, then I would fit 2 pieces, maybe 200mm2 (one behind each rear wheel for symmetrical finish) of 6mm exterior ply sufficient size to cover the damaged area and coat these too with the bitumin or waxoyl, these will then act as sacrificial boards to stop damage to your main underfloor from stone chips etc and can be replaced as and when but would probably last years if sealed well.

OP
OP
Gorsecover59

Gorsecover59

Free Member
Jun 6, 2011
Jersey
Funster No
MH
Swift,Lifestyle 530l
Exp
new
Gorse Hill,Geo and Wickload many thanks for your advice. Will get onto it.
Martin

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Your method is sound for sure, substitute filler for a resin based material and your 100% there(y)
they do a product called bridging filler in the trade that is resin and
fibre glass strands mixed, just add the Catalyst and it sets in minuets
then choose either underseal or the old waxoil treatment as a finish, i would prefer waxoil as it too will soak into the wood
Car body filler is not waterproof and will absorb moister and expand when wet or damp
G
Are you sure it's not waterproof, I have used as a repair in impregnated concrete on my drive still there 3yrs later never moved its flexible enough to use on cars
Not 100% about wood if that asorbs moisture then the wood would shrink/contract, seal the wood with SBR primer should be ok

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Yes 101 %
I have no idea what you have used on your drive but can assure you it is not body filler, the main ingredient of which is talcum powder
May I suggest you are not using the correct terminology
If its sticking to concrete and staying there I would gamble on it being a resin /catalyst mix

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Yes 101 %
I have no idea what you have used on your drive but can assure you it is not body filler, the main ingredient of which is talcum powder
May I suggest you are not using the correct terminology
If its sticking to concrete and staying there I would gamble on it being a resin /catalyst mix
Probably right about excact specc of what I consider to be body filler, however I got it of a good friend of mine who has a body shop, whatever it is certainly good s**t(y)

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
As a cabinet maker I would use a flexible waterproof filler for wood and seal with a sealant that will soak into the wood, wax oil would be perfect.... Then you'll find yourself doing the rest so it all matches in..:D(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back