Controller, B2B and Split Charging System? (1 Viewer)

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
OK. I've read these terms bandied about and this is my understanding. If I'm wrong please correct me.

Most motorhomes have some kind of controller which allows the leisure battery to be charged when the engine is running. The same controller will also charge the leisure battery (and possibly the engine battery) on EHU and there is sometimes an additional connection for a solar panel (which may need a separate controller as well - not sure about that).
A B2B system operates without the controller. It also ensures the leisure battery is charged when the engine is running. I think the only advantage of this is that as you have heavy duty leads connecting the batteries you can combine both batteries if you need a heavy current draw. Presumably you are risking flattening both batteries if you overdo it.
A split charging system is the same as a B2B

I fitted a split charging system to our Acadiane van when I installed an additional leisure battery to run the cool box. One feature that system had which I haven't seen mentioned on here is that it has an override switch to manually link the 2 batteries so that if the engine battery is flat you can utilise the leisure battery to start the engine.

With a controller such as a Schaudt I can't really see any great advantage in installing a B2B or a split charging system which would make it worthwhile.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hi Paul. .my thoughts on your comments..
Any solar panel above 20/30w will require a charge controller fitted to allow proper battery charging.
A b2b charger isn't quite the same as a split charge system..
It has electronics that allow faster more efficient charging than the alternator would normally provide.
And I would say if your van has a control system that already allows charging of both battery banks when running and on ehu then the need for other devices most probably isn't necessary...
Other than solar... The solar can be used for both start and leisure if you fit a dual output controler or single output controller and a device like a battery master..
Ta andy

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
If you plan to use the LB to start engine, you need whacking great cable between them, not what you'd normally use.
FYI - I'm installing a ctec d250s which does "it all" bar 240v, e.g. mppt solar input, b2b from VB to LB and vice versa if LB full. Seems the easiest way to set that up

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
As I understand it, with some Schaudt controllers (including mine, an EBL220) you MUST NOT use a B2B or similar between batteries that are already being serviced by the EBL. Apparently, if you do it will confuse the EBL, which might then shut down.

OP
OP
mustaphapint

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
As I understand it, with some Schaudt controllers (including mine, an EBL220) you MUST NOT use a B2B or similar between batteries that are already being serviced by the EBL. Apparently, if you do it will confuse the EBL, which might then shut down.
Yes. That makes sense to me.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back