Anyone been to Russia with an MH (1 Viewer)

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
We've been invited to visit our daughter in law's family in Russia. Travelling through Russia is something I always hoped I'd do by motorbike but SWMBO (and myself as well if I admit it) is demanding a bit more comfort than a motorbike on our longer trips nowadays. We would be travelling as far as the east coast near Vladivostok. The urge to make an adventure of it by going overland in the motorhome is very appealing so I was just wondering if anyone else on here had any experience of it.

Last edited:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Guy who bought my van last week has..and India as well in a camper!

Very adventurous chap for an Australian, still out there or I would ask him...

Insurance would need a little research I would think.

nelly

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8090DF A Class
Exp
Since 2002
I think the only way to do it is with a company from Germany. I cannot remember the name but yo need them to get the travel permits i think

Neil

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
I think the people who blogged on www.theworldisourlobster.com got to Russia as part of their Europe tour. There is also resource info on their blog which might link you to others who have done it.

OP
OP
mustaphapint

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
Guy who bought my van last week has..and India as well in a camper!

Very adventurous chap for an Australian, still out there or I would ask him...

Insurance would need a little research I would think.
Having ridden a bike and driven a car in India I am full of admiration for anyone who drives a motorhome there. The local bus and lorry drivers are mental and rely on God or Allah to protect them, not their driving skills.
Insurance is one of my concerns. It's one thing to risk an old motorbike work 2K at most and another to risk even an 18K motorhome containing our possessions. The kind of insurance you pay at the border might satisfy the local police at a roadside check but I doubt it would pay out for accident repairs or a total loss.

OP
OP
mustaphapint

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
I think the only way to do it is with a company from Germany. I cannot remember the name but yo need them to get the travel permits i think

Neil
Thank you for the reply but I do know independent travel is possible with your own vehicle.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
We've been invited to visit our daughter in law's family in Russia. Travelling through Russia is something I always hoped I'd do my motorbike but SWMBO (and myself as well if I admit it) is demanding a bit more comfort than a motorbike on our longer trips nowadays. We would be travelling as far as the east coast near Vladivostok. The urge to make an adventure of it by going overland in the motorhome is very appealing so I was just wondering if anyone else on here had any experience of it.
I spent a month travelling across Russia but not driving......the police are as bent as a 9 Bob note (had an experience of one of our drivers bribing them), its well known any trouble and you will be emptying your wallet, and dont expect the state to be functional in any western way, if you complain. The drivers are often drunk and the car drivers are pretty disrespectful of road rules, one driver we had downed a bottle of vodka every night with sneaky visits to the beer shops (disguised as a cigarette kiosks) during the day. This was deemed acceptable!!! Many vehicles themselves are in a poor state of repair and I saw a lot of those. In Moscow (and this is no lie), I saw an accident every 30 mins when being driven, one tit in a car had managed to take out the back end of a bus!
The stats say it all https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate Russia is by far the most dangerous place to be in a vehicle compared to European countries.
Interestingly those stats are favourable compared to Thailand where I have driven several times on hired bikes and been fine, so you pays your money and takes your chance. Good luck!

OZeRV

Free Member
Jul 22, 2014
Cobram, 3644, Victoria, AUSTRALIA
Funster No
MH
Aust bus conv., UK C
Exp
Since 1995
An Aussie couple drove their motorhome through Russia for four weeks on route from Australia to UK a few years ago and very briefly on the return journey. If they give their OK I will place a link to their travel blog on this thread.

Last edited:

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Just look up dashcams on the YouTube and that WILL put you right off any ideas about going there , Smashes, Crashes, Kalashnikovs firing from cars, Beatings, Road Rage, Failing meteorites, all come from Russia . They all have dashcams to protect themselves from BAD happening being blamed on them.

OP
OP
mustaphapint

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
Just look up dashcams on the YouTube and that WILL put you right off any ideas about going there , Smashes, Crashes, Kalashnikovs firing from cars, Beatings, Road Rage, Failing meteorites, all come from Russia . They all have dashcams to protect themselves from BAD happening being blamed on them.
Thanks. I'm aware of most of the negatives and to be honest reading the blog on Jenben's link hasn't filled me with enthusiasm for such a trip. However I do know many riders who have ridden their motorcycles across Russia and survived, although they would probably refer to it as an experience rather than a pleasure trip.

OZeRV

Free Member
Jul 22, 2014
Cobram, 3644, Victoria, AUSTRALIA
Funster No
MH
Aust bus conv., UK C
Exp
Since 1995
A couple of posts back I referred to an Australian couple who drove their motorhome from Australia to UK and back which included 4 weeks in Russia. Details of this are in their travel blog at http://epicycles.com. It's a great read.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Perhaps Blackthorne International Transport could offer a few pointers. I think its Colnbrook Berkshire. Worth a punt,give them a ring.
Tea Bag

OP
OP
mustaphapint

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
A couple of posts back I referred to an Australian couple who drove their motorhome from Australia to UK and back which included 4 weeks in Russia. Details of this are in their travel blog at http://epicycles.com. It's a great read.
Next on my list to read. I've just finished the articles on the Silk Road mentioned by unimog. Well worth reading but ours fails at the first hurdle by not having rear wheel drive.

OP
OP
mustaphapint

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
Maybe you need to look at it again.
It's not the same route as the "road of bones" and I know the roads across the country have been upgraded since those early films were made. That's why I was asking about anyone with motorhome experience in the country.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back