Recommendations for Sat Nav please (1 Viewer)

Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
I am sorry if this is the lazy way of doing it but I have spent a while reading various posts and am just confusing myself more. We have a Tom Tom Go Sat Nav which we used when we had a caravan. We now have a 7.4m Motorhome and looking at a lot of the posts it would seem that a 'Truck' Sat Nav would seem to be a useful addition. I am reading a lot about "7 ins Chinese Sat Navs" I had a quick look on e bay and there seems to be so many of them. So... Please could someone recommend one or 2 particular ones which they have used and are happy with. It is for use both UK and European travel, mainly France,Spain and Portugal. Thanks .

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I wouldn't touch any of the Chinese ones at the moment because of mapping problems. See Broken Link Removed. The absence of the .ftr file makes them no better than your TomTom for large vehicles.

Our favourite is the Garmin Camper 760 LMT-D that we got from Aldi last year. One of the current specials from Aldi last Thursday is the slightly smaller Broken Link Removed. I see they still have 8 left for on-line ordering if none of your local stores have any left.

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Snopper IMO
I have the 7000
Now replaced I think .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: f6c

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Agree with Graham on the 760 Camper (or the 660 on offer in Aldi) however others will be along who will say different.

And you can install Garmin BaseCamp onto a pc or mac to pre-plan routes and transfer to the device.

Last edited:

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Snooper for me,but gave got both the xody 7" one on trial and also the Aguri ..dvr700 so will report back on the aguri later ,lots of info on Chinese one if you have a look at the sat nav threads on this forum..Roy

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The big drawback with Snooper for me is that you can't load your own sets of POIs, only those which Snooper make available for download from their site. If you have a POI set containing over 2200 entries like I do that isn't practical :)

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
The big drawback with Snooper for me is that you can't load your own sets of POIs, only those which Snooper make available for download from their site. If you have a POI set containing over 2200 entries like I do that isn't practical :)
Unfortunately very true but a great bit of kit I found especially in the mountains of North Wales last year

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I can't find any single sat nav that does everything. I currently use three in the mh. A tomtom for the pois, a snooper and a chinese cheapy, navibuzz because I like the long distance routing. Set to'easy' and no tolls does it for me in Europe.
I n my car I use the built in one for convenience, though its rubbish.

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
Currently in a bun fight with a company that sold me the snooper Ventura that would immediately switch off after powering on. As the unit has only been used 3 times I argue that at £300 It is not fit for purpose and have now as the bun fight continues and doesn't look as if it will be resolved anytime soon, purchased the Garmin ML760 which after using it should have been my first choice JMTW.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Currently in a bun fight with a company that sold me the snooper Ventura that would immediately switch off after powering on. As the unit has only been used 3 times I argue that at £300 It is not fit for purpose and have now as the bun fight continues and doesn't look as if it will be resolved anytime soon, purchased the Garmin ML760 which after using it should have been my first choice JMTW.
I would insist on getting your money back from whoever sold you the Snooper if I were you.

Following the problems with the Noza Tec I bought a Mio Spirit 6970 LM Truck, after checking with Mitac that it should do the job. It seemed OK at first but on its first real trial it kept crashing. I got a refund from the supplier as I thought it was a software problem rather than hardware. Mitac subsequently confirmed that - it requires at least 100MB free internal memory on it but, despite me having put a 32GB card in it the software still filled up the internal memory and left the card empty. A pity because it looked as if it would be quite good.

OP
OP
M
Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Our Tom Tom is the caravan version, I have not tried it yet with the Motorhome but was looking for an add on or back up I suppose. Interestingly I have just been on the Tom Tom web site and they no longer do the caravan/camper version and recommend the Garmin 660 instead!! I wonder if this means they will see stopping the updates as well.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Our Tom Tom is the caravan version, I have not tried it yet with the Motorhome but was looking for an add on or back up I suppose. Interestingly I have just been on the Tom Tom web site and they no longer do the caravan/camper version and recommend the Garmin 660 instead!! I wonder if this means they will see stopping the updates as well.
Your TomTom should work just as well for your motorhome as it did for your caravan. Just alter the profile to the measurements of your motorhome.

I knew TomTom no longer did the camper & caravan unit as I had to buy a Trucker 5000 (before I found that POI support did not include icons :mad:) as a backup to the Garmin 760 recently (after the Mio failed as mentioned above). I'm surprised they recommend a Garmin though - are you sure it isn't just a post from a disgruntled user? :D

With your TomTom and the Garmin 660 you should be well covered - at least I hope so as that is not far different from what we have now :D

OP
OP
M
Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Just read the link provided above by GJH. All sounds like a no-no for the Chinese one. I am not technically savvy enough to start and mess with files either. Thanks for the input.

OP
OP
M
Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
No it's actually on their site. This is copied from it.
PLEASE READ
TomTom No longer do a Caravan Version, We would now recommend you looking at the Garmin 660LMT D Caravan & Camper Version Here

?

Deleted User
If you have a tablet, pad, large phone get CoPilot Truck app. No extra hardware, plan where ever you want to, add POI's and update your hardware anytime.

^^ What she said. Here is another sat nav software you can try before you buy.

Forgot Link :)

Broken Link Removed

Last edited by a moderator:

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Can't go wrong with the aldi garmin. Waited it out last year and picked a 760 let-d up for £150.

As with ANY sat nav use common sense and check your route before blindly setting off.

Reactions: GJH
OP
OP
M
Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Had a look at the Go pilot truck app. I have iPad and iPhone so no problem but how reliable is it when using 3G etc. Does it need a good constant signal in which case how does it work in remote areas?

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
I have just bought a Garmin 760 and a few things are going on at the moment. CoPilot Trucker does not allow you to add your own POI's on IOS devices at the moment although that will be addressed at their next revision. Tomtom are advising buying their Trucker version not a Garmin. They do not offer free traffic for life as they are now doing on one/some mainstream models. TomTom are also changing their Iphone software so that in three years time they will start charging you a fee each year.

?

Deleted User
Had a look at the Go pilot truck app. I have iPad and iPhone so no problem but how reliable is it when using 3G etc. Does it need a good constant signal in which case how does it work in remote areas?

It works from your GPS not data unless you want live traffic.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
You need a cellular Ipad which include the GPS gubbings i.e. you need an Ipad which accepts a sim card although you do not need to use a sim card unless as above you need traffic.

OP
OP
M
Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
OK I have one of those, in fact will be upgrading v old iPad soon as this one is full!. So I just download it and it works as we go along. Sounds good. As an aside is that the same with google maps which I sometimes use in car but that can grind to a halt at times.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
No it's actually on their site. This is copied from it.
PLEASE READ
TomTom No longer do a Caravan Version, We would now recommend you looking at the Garmin 660LMT D Caravan & Camper Version Here
I see how you have been misled but that is not TomTom's own web site, it's a site owned by a sat nav retailer.

At the foot of the page it says:
"TomTom Navigation - Gothic House, Barker gate, Nottingham, NG1 1JU- T: 01159 599 995 F: 01159 503 852
This website is owned by TTW Partners Limited - 2003-2014 - All images copyright TomTom B.V"

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I downloaded co pilot normal and set it to caravan,no problems as yet, I have downloaded poi's and added them to it from camper contact and search for sites which went in ok. Chose the Tom Tom poi's as they are in ov2 format which the co pilot needs, all for £29.99.
All new mapping in it which snooper failed to detect new roads in spain even though that was new mapping too.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I downloaded co pilot normal and set it to caravan,no problems as yet, I have downloaded poi's and added them to it from camper contact and search for sites which went in ok. Chose the Tom Tom poi's as they are in ov2 format which the co pilot needs, all for £29.99.
All new mapping in it which snooper failed to detect new roads in spain even though that was new mapping too.
You can also use .csv files, but sometimes they need editing with header labels in Excel.

?

Deleted User

Where is this camper option? I have copilot as a backup in my phone and never seen that. I have version 9.6.3.91

?

Deleted User
Where is this camper option? I have copilot as a backup in my phone and never seen that. I have version 9.6.3.91

Scrap that just found it. Thought it was something where you could put the size of your van in.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
On the direction screen. You will see a little car. Press and hold that and a choice will come up. Either car/ walking/ caravan. Choose caravan then edit to your choosing.
Edit...see your post above. I don't think you can edit the size of caravan.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back