Buying Chunnel tickets with tesco points on a Sunday? (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
We're hoping to book our tunnel crossing tomorrow and travel this Tuesday.
Does anyone know if the tesco voucher office is manned on a Sunday ? Haven't done it before. Do they give me a code or something for when I make the booking?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
You need to order the vouchers on the Tesco Clubcard website. They email you the voucher code. You do not directly book the journey through Tesco

You need to ring the normal Eurotunnel reservation/ticket line.

The booking has to be made in the same name as the Clubcard account is registered in.

They're open from 9.00 to 5.30 tomorrow (y)

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Link to the Clubcard page:

https://secure.tesco.com/clubcard/boost/eurotunnel-le-shuttle/UK-003223.prd

The voucher code email will usually turn up in 15-20 minutes.

The number to ring is 08443 35 35 35

A couple more things to be aware of:

You don't get "change" with the vouchers so have a look at the fares first so you know how much it will be and only change just enough vouchers. You probably won't be able to get the exact amount so we usually get as close as we can without going over and just pay the balance on a card.

The other thing is that if you're taking a dog you can't use the vouchers to pay for it. That has to be on a card.

Upvote 0

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Broken Link Removed Is a non premium telephone number.
Tell the agent first thing that you are using Tesco vouchers as they have to repeat much of the process if you only tell them when you come to pay.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks everyone
That is a blow Minxsy girl . We'll have to forego using the vouchers this time.
Thanks for the website and phone no etc.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Trying to buy the ticket now. Do you just pay one price per van and not per person?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
It's ok just done it
Funny to put 'cultural' down as reason for trip not 'holiday/break'!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
You don't get "change" with the vouchers so have a look at the fares first so you know how much it will be and only change just enough vouchers. You probably won't be able to get the exact amount so we usually get as close as we can without going over and just pay the balance on a card.

I don't have tesco vouchers (they don't have them in Waitrose :whistle:) but no.1 son uses Tesco - can he get these vouchers? Can multiple vouchers be used against a single purchase at the rate of £30 per £10 voucher?

Upvote 0

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
The booking has to be made in the same name as the Clubcard account is registered in.
However there is no reason why you cannot have a shared account so you need to get a card then phone up and link it to your son's.
You can pay for all (exc pets) or part of your ticket using the vouchers.

Upvote 0

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
However there is no reason why you cannot have a shared account so you need to get a card then phone up and link it to your son's.

Excellent, ta!

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I don't have tesco vouchers (they don't have them in Waitrose :whistle:) but no.1 son uses Tesco - can he get these vouchers? Can multiple vouchers be used against a single purchase at the rate of £30 per £10 voucher?

If he uses a Clubcard it's those vouchers. We get most of ours via petrol rather than shopping.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

No reason at all. As long as the name on the club card account is the lead name on the booking that's all that matters. Someone else can pay any balance.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Remember you can only use one voucher per booking so make sure you put enough club card points towards it.

Upvote 0
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
The reason you cannot pay for a pet with Tesco vouchers is that the fee goes directly to DEFRA. Apparently government departments don't take Tesco vouchers.:rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The reason you cannot pay for a pet with Tesco vouchers is that the fee goes directly to DEFRA. Apparently government departments don't take Tesco vouchers.:rolleyes:
If that's the case though, it can't be the WHOLE amount, otherwise the ferries wouldn't be charging less than Eurotunnel for pets.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
If that's the case though, it can't be the WHOLE amount, otherwise the ferries wouldn't be charging less than Eurotunnel for pets.

The other thing that I always wonder about, if that really is the case, is why there is a charge both ways when there are only checks on the return trip?

I don't believe it all goes to Defra anyway. The Pet Check In facility at the Calais terminal is operated by Eurotunnel staff, not Defra staff. If there is any money passed on to Defra then it will be after all Eurotunnel's expenses have been deducted.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
or eurotunnel charge more than the defra fee ?
The other thing that I always wonder about, if that really is the case, is why there is a charge both ways when there are only checks on the return trip?

I don't believe it all goes to Defra anyway. The Pet Check In facility at the Calais terminal is operated by Eurotunnel staff, not Defra staff. If there is any money passed on to Defra then it will be after all Eurotunnel's expenses have been deducted.
& dfds staff do the check when you book in.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
or eurotunnel charge more than the defra fee ?

& dfds staff do the check when you book in.

I'd imagine they're all making something out of it. Not least because if it was purely the Defra fee then it would only be charged on the return leg when there are checks carried out.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Eurotunnel currently charge £18 per dog, cat or ferret each way/£36 return ... with 3 dogs that's £108 for ours! Some ferries charge £15 each way/£30 return (£90 for ours) and one (can't remember which) charges £30 return for the first pet and £15 for subsequent ones, for us that would be £60 - quite a bit less! I have suggested a couple of times that Eurotunnel ought to consider doing something but they're not interested.

Upvote 0
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
OK folks.

The info I gave re the fee going to DEFRA was given to me four years ago by two different ferry companies when I asked them the question at The France Show. Surely they wouldn't lie to me!:whistle::eek:

Having said that, I wasn't aware that different Companies are charging different amounts. I was aware of the £15 each way or £30 one way on the France/UK leg but that was all.

I stand corrected . (Well, actually, rather stooped, with head bowed in shame for my misleading info. Boo, hoo.):cry:

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
It still could mean that some of the fee goes to DEFRA, but obviously it all can't. Personally I think it's just the companies who take it themselves.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I think it should only be charged for coming back to UK as nothing at all is done when you leave.At least it would be more reasonable.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I think it should only be charged for coming back to UK as nothing at all is done when you leave.At least it would be more reasonable.
No argument - it used to be that one ferry company charged £0 on the outward but £30 on the inward crossing, whilst another charged £15 on each leg .. if you got it right you could use the one who didn't charge on the outward to go abroad, an the £15 one for the inward which cut the cost in half ... I'm not sure if that's the case now though as I can't remember which companies it was with as its a long time since I've used a ferry!

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
No argument - it used to be that one ferry company charged £0 on the outward but £30 on the inward crossing, whilst another charged £15 on each leg .. if you got it right you could use the one who didn't charge on the outward to go abroad, an the £15 one for the inward which cut the cost in half ... I'm not sure if that's the case now though as I can't remember which companies it was with as its a long time since I've used a ferry!
I think it was MyFerry Link no longer trading.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back