Comfort break for the dog (1 Viewer)

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
Just taking our dog on her first long trip to France and wondered how many hours would you travel between comfort breaks for the dog taking into account normal health and fitness for her.

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
With our 8 yr old Springer if she's had a walk or a run in the garden before hand then the wife needs a comfort break before she does!!! We wouldn't travel more than 4 hours....When she was younger then perhaps no more than 3 hours...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
No set time,we stop when she tells us........ True LOL.
Tea Bag
Edit. All joking aside,she is old and got/was a bit leaky,but thanks to the vet and "Urilin"40mg/ml. She can carry on quite normaly until we stop for a meal break or look-see at some beauty spot,where i take her off on a jaunt,while a meal is being prepared
Obviously... You would have to check with your vet first,if your growler gets these symptoms,but the change was amazing and all it takes is to put 6 drops (Dosage may vary!!) onto the main meal and sorted .

Last edited:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We have 2 dogs, we stop every couple of hours or so, then we all get a break. I have driven for 6 hours without stopping with the dogs asleep, it was doable, but I wouldn't want to do it often.
Generally, the dogs will let you know when they want to go out, just like at home.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It's not good for you to keep going for that length of time without stretching your legs, regardless of whether you feel you need a break ... you can actually get deep vein thrombosis from driving, not just on planes. Better to have a break every couple of hours just to get up and let your circulation get going a bit, even 5 minutes is better than nothing.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I agree with those who say that a comfort break should be when we take one. That is unless your dog struggles but, You'll know your own dog.

We used to head for Carmarthenshire from Ayrshire monthly & we tended to stop just once, Keele services being roughly the half way mark & the dogs were quite happy with that. Of course this could be very different if whoever was driving felt tired, then common sense must apply.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
We tend to stop every 2-3 hours and this is fine. When we sailed we had a dog which would not pee on the boat unless really desperate (dogs are naturally clean animals and do not foul their homes and the boat was her home) and would regularly last 24 hours without complaint despite encouragement to relieve herself

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
image.jpeg
With mine it depends on the weather: if it's raining they'll hold it up to 12 hours or so. If it's fine they go when we go.

Love it!!! We got one exactly the same, I often wonder if I'm on the correct end of the lead. We don't want to go out but feel we must and they won't have it.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
View attachment 97627

Love it!!! We got one exactly the same, I often wonder if I'm on the correct end of the lead. We don't want to go out but feel we must and they won't have it.
It seems all long dogs are the same. I've had a Lurcher, two Greyhounds, and now two Whippets. They were/are all the same. They walk round puddles on the pavement and if you try to leave the house when it's raining you get the 'you must be joking' look just before they turn round to head away from the door. If it's raining when we get up the Whippets stay in bed until they hear it stop then they immediately ask to go out.

Jan 18, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670SLS
Exp
A long time
2 hours for our Lhasa Apso, so lvong as there is a bit of grass by the roadside she wees on demand, just like the wife!!!

JFD

Apr 9, 2015
Crawley Down, West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Aventura G730
Exp
since 2014!
We have travelled to and from family in Switzerland for several years with our two doggies, and we always stick to a two hour stint of driving, with a 20 minute break for the dogs and us! So far, no accidents in the car, apart from the one time when one of our dogs was given the wrong wormer for re-entry to the UK, and was sick all the way from Chaumont to Calais!!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
It's not good for you to keep going for that length of time without stretching your legs, regardless of whether you feel you need a break ... you can actually get deep vein thrombosis from driving, not just on planes. Better to have a break every couple of hours just to get up and let your circulation get going a bit, even 5 minutes is better than nothing.

I should have that then due to my ex occupation..Lorry driver,,,used to drive until you had to take a legal break which before tachos would be until you arrived at your destination,,5 or 6 hrs usually...BUSBY.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I should have that then due to my ex occupation..Lorry driver,,,used to drive until you had to take a legal break which before tachos would be until you arrived at your destination,,5 or 6 hrs usually...BUSBY.
The risk increases as you get older as your arteries clog up and your circulation lessens, not everyone gets it but it is a risk nonetheless. Someone driving is probably at less risk than a passenger who doesn't move their legs at all.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Can't say for our dog, but we stop every couple of hours and she is more than happy with that.

The only time that didn't work was when she had a stomach upset. On that occasion she made it quite clear to us that she needed to stop. A plaintive whine and then, if we couldn't stop immediately, a short bark.

No accidents. She's not that sort of dog. She's a Lady!:)

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Since when did we go American and use the term comfort break ? ;)

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We tend to do every 4 hours .. or when we stop.
As above.. can do even more hours through the night.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We usually stop every couple of hours for a cuppa and a pee, this relates really to the time when we smoked so had to stop for a fag, obviously would not smoke in the MH any more than we would in the house.
This suits the dogs as they can go far longer than us, probably due to us drinking tea and them water.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Every couple of hours !
Maybe it's just me but I let my dog out for a wee at around 9 at night and he manages to survive untill 8 the next morning .
As said by others a dog will let you know when it needs to do its business ,mine can last longer than the wife and kids who use the toilet in the van.
Thank god I'm still relatively young as my dog would get more pissed off than me if I had to stop every couple of hours for a leak.In retirement when there's no rush maybe a few more breaks makes sense but I like to crack on I'd probably opt for a bag to save time.

Vlad

?

Deleted User
Just taking our dog on her first long trip to France and wondered how many hours would you travel between comfort breaks for the dog taking into account normal health and fitness for her.

Taking my dog for the first time to Holland and Germany this year and intend on just doing below but keeping a stock of bottled water for her

The same time we take a break.. which is every couple of hours normally..

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Taking my dog for the first time to Holland and Germany this year and intend on just doing below but keeping a stock of bottled water for her

Bottled water for a DOG? - why can't he drink the tap water same as you? - if it's potable water - it's potable, end of!

?

Deleted User
Bottled water for a DOG? - why can't he drink the tap water same as you? - if it's potable water - it's potable, end of!

Mostly due to the fact when i am away i dont have my tap to drink from so i buy bottle. If i wont drink tap in Europe then neither will my dog plus if you go to the likes of Aldi, Lidl then it costs next to nothing.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Oh true then, but I always wonder why people don't trust the water they have filled their Moho tank with.

I mean you start off with water out the tap at home and only refill it (with the same hosepipe you use at home or a similar one) from decent clean drinking water taps, so it always puzzles me. That's all.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back