Problem with electric windscreen blind/inverter (1 Viewer)

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
We have an electric windscreen blind (not sure if it was original or retrofitted) which is powered off the inverter. The last few days it hasn't worked properly, ie it won't roll up or down on one press of the button, and the inverter makes a bleeping noise. We can eventually raise/lower it in stages with pauses in between each button press- it is at this stage that the inverter bleeps.
Our solar panel is working fine, our batteries are fully charged, we are on EHU. Can anyone suggest where we should start looking?
I don't really know much about inverters, only that they convert 12v to 230v so please be gentle with your suggestions. Many thanks.

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
Hi there, I don't know what size inverter you have but if the blinds have gotten a little stiff, it could be that the inverter is being overloaded, hence the beeping, warning.
I know inverters give this audible alarm and cut off if battery power is too low but you say they are fully charged and you're on EHU, so I would presume the fault lays with the current draw taking the inverter to its limit and hence the alarm and cut off. You could try cleaning the blind tracks and lubricating with a bit of graphite or silicon spray to free them up. This will in turn reduce the current draw on the inverter. I am not saying this is the cause but it's where I would start. It may well solve the problem. Good luck, Lance.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Presumably the inverter works fine for anything else? if so that would confirm it is a load issue with the blind

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Does it have a manual wind mechanism in the event of electrical failure in the deployed position?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
My 4.5 meter awning only needs a 300 watt inverter so your blind I imagine is a considerably smaller draw but I know if my awning is stuck out that I can wind it in with an allen key even if a tedious task. There must be an emergency procedure for yours? otherwise you'd be rendered immobile

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
The Dudess
Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Presumably the inverter works fine for anything else? if so that would confirm it is a load issue with the blind
Haven't checked anything else yet. As we are almost always on EHU we have not really needed to use the inverter for anything other than the blind. Moving site tomorrow so will check once we are settled on new site. Thanks.

OP
OP
The Dudess
Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Does it have a manual wind mechanism in the event of electrical failure in the deployed position?
Can't see anything - will try to find the manual and see what it says. Bit scared of trying the blind again just in case it gets stuck down. Thanks.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back