LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Just a quick caution when filling with LPG. I went to top up my truck on Tuesday and as I attached the gun to the filler, liquid gas gushed out all over my hand and arm. I thought bloody hell that's cold and carried on. I now have serious frost burns all over the back of my hand and up my arm requiring hospital treatment on the EHIC. Thankfully we are still in the EU so no problems here in Portugal. Many thanks to JJsuperstar for his errand of mercy yesterday fetching medication. Take this as a warning and use gloves and take great care when filling any gas bottles or tanks. I am not new to filling these things and have been doing it for years, maybe it was a momentarily lack of concentration that caused the malfunction or a technical problem, I don't know,but will be treating the filling of gas with more respect in future.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Hope wound heal......Have you tugged the fiver down to Portugal :)

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Without exaggeration I have a blister the size of a tennis ball on the back of my hand, fingers black and blistering all up the back of my arm. Never take the filling of LPG for granted. It's dangerous stuff and will hurt you immensely without warning.

Deleted User
There was a thread on here or the other forum recently about the possibility of LPG pooling after a spill/leak.

A poster with some technical knowledge stated that LPG would vapourise almost instantaneously, apparently not instantaneous enough.

Hope your burns heal quickly and do not cause too much disruption to your plans.

I have no experience of filling LPG bottles or tanks but this is a warning for all.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Without exaggeration I have a blister the size of a tennis ball on the back of my hand, fingers black and blistering all up the back of my arm. Never take the filling of LPG for granted. It's dangerous stuff and will hurt you immensely without warning.
Hi Dave, sorry you hurt and glad it not even more serious.

I am a worrier.. I will be filling my LPG gas for the first time this weekend so already nervous about it.. Can you just clarify .. was it as you pushed the nozzle from the tank into your van or as you pull the lever back that the problem happens. This might be a daft question, as until I try it I'm not too sure how it works. Thank you.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Ooooo ... my sympathy Snowbird! I know how painful it can be and so does hubby certainly does as he had similar blistering and swelling all over his feet and ankles/lower legs (from sunburn though not gas), sounds like you've got a touch of frostbite too. If you're not happy with it for any reason, get it looked at again, as much as necessary, no point in suffering more than you have to but it will take a long while to heal up sufficiently so you can drive again I'm afraid - 2 weeks at least I would say. If you find you get a lot of 'weeping' I can honestly say that ladies disposable towels (you know what I mean!) are very good at absorbing it, and cushion too, much better than just a dressing.

We carry a pair of 'rigger gloves' for this very purpose, even if the filler has a guard on it we still use them.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Hi Dave, sorry you hurt and glad it not even more serious.

I am a worrier.. I will be filling my LPG gas for the first time this weekend so already nervous about it.. Can you just clarify .. was it as you pushed the nozzle from the tank into your van or as you pull the lever back that the problem happens. This might be a daft question, as until I try it I'm not too sure how it works. Thank you.
In the UK the gun has a shield to protect your hand but gas shouldn't be coming out without the trigger being pulled or the pump started. Sounds like faulty equipment to me

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
In the UK the gun has a shield to protect your hand but gas shouldn't be coming out without the trigger being pulled or the pump started. Sounds like faulty equipment to me
Agree Andy ref faulty equipment, we have, however, found some UK ones don't have the shield, hence the carrying, and using, of gloves.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
The only problem I found when filling my RV was when using the threaded adapters in Spain , Portugal etc when removing the adapter there was a release of gas from behind and when unscrewing by hand your hand is close to to the gas.
The only way I overcame that was to slightly unscrew the adapter to release pressure slowly.
I did get the odd icy jet but not enough to hurt.

In the UK no adapters are needed and your hands stay on the gun when removing so far less risk.

@Snowbird hope your hand heals soon.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Sorry to hear of your mishap Dave Scary when someone as seasoned as you gets caught out.:eek:
Thanks Dave I'll take it as a timely warning and as Minxy suggests get some gloves just for that purpose in the gas locker
I also consider myself well seasoned BUT never too old to learn(y)
Geo

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I was using the Portuguese cup type adapter, screwed into my bayonet. As I attached the gun it released gas from my tank but the gun was still attached to the cup. I tried to release the trigger but nothing happened. I then noticed a little brass button on the side of the gun that had to be pressed to release the gun. At this point there was LPG all over the place and I had no choice but put my hands into it to release the button. Am not saying gloves would have stopped the burn,but it would have saved a lot of it.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Dave don't be a whimp and get the blister busted :D:LOL:No doubt thats the wrong advice ;)Hope you are well soon -Do you stick cold burns in hot water as opposed to hot in cold :)I have found myself over the yrs holding the rubber hose just off the nozzle for the very same reason-Get well soon mate (y)
Joy give me a call or if there is a gas station at Chester leave filling your gas and I will go to the station and show you how -it's a little daunting first time ;):)
terry

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
A nasty accident. I'm not sure how gas can escape from the tank on ours as there is a one way valve which is only opened by the pressure of the gas in the filling hose. But we did have problems with it last year when it wouldn't let any gas in, so they can fail.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
There is little risk in the UK with the bayonet fitting as your hands are on the gun and only a relatively small amount of gas escape , but gloves will eliminate injury.

A completely different case when using adapters in Europe, far more care is needed as there is liquid trapped behind the adapter.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
It all happened so quickly am not sure how,but I think there must have been pressure in the gun that caused my none return valve to release. This then sent the gas back from the tank. Or of course there could have been a fault on the gun. Or more likely an over confident operator. Either way I will be carrying my welding gauntlets in future.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I use a pair of Broken Link Removed. They also help with grip if the Alugas adapter is a bit tight to unscrew.
... yeah, we all know you've got a rubber fettish anyway Graham so I bet you've got loads of pairs! :D

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I would go for gauntlets rather than just gloves, they give you more arm protection.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Hi Dave don't be a whimp and get the blister busted :D:LOL:No doubt thats the wrong advice ;)Hope you are well soon -Do you stick cold burns in hot water as opposed to hot in cold :)I have found myself over the yrs holding the rubber hose just off the nozzle for the very same reason-Get well soon mate (y)
Joy give me a call or if there is a gas station at Chester leave filling your gas and I will go to the station and show you how -it's a little daunting first time ;):)
terry
NEVER get a burn blister busted!!!!!! It is the wrong thing to do completely as it actually aids healing to leave it alone regardless of how large it gets! This is the initial treatment when when it's just happened:
  • Move the victim to a warm area as soon as you can to allow the affected area to slowly warm up. Do not apply direct heat to the area, as it can cause further injury.
  • Gently cover or drape the affected area with a clean sheet or other type of dressing
  • Fill a small basin or tub with neutral-temperature water that is neither hot nor cold. Immerse the affected area in the water to relieve some of the pain.
  • Encourage the injured person to slowly work/exercise the affected area. Have the victim drink warm, nonalcoholic liquids, and keep the person away from excess cold or heat such as snow, ice, hot or cold water and heat lamps.
  • Call for medical assistance as soon as possible.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I would go for gauntlets rather than just gloves, they give you more arm protection.

.. just go the whole hog...

Chemical protective suit CPS 7900 (complete kit), Dräger

Provides excellent protection against chemicals,
chemical agents and other dangerous substances.
Furthermore it is suitable for works in explosive areas
as well as for handling of cryogenic substances.
Approval EN 943.

8904911.jpg

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I am a worrier.. .

Yes.

His experience it different to yours, he was using a foreign pump.

British Pump, The One True Pump, you slide on the nozzle and turn it 90 degrees to engage the pins. You then pull the handle back, you lock the handle with the lock bar. All now solid. No gas will leak.

Now hold the pump button for ages and ages, you'll hear when gas is passing then, thud, it stops suddenly when full. You release the pump push button.

Now the scary bit, just a bit, when you release the locking lever there will be a big hiss as a small amount of gas escapes. It can sting your hands, so better with gloves on. After that turn 90 degrees and pull off the nozzle.

I know you'll be stressed out but don't forget to pay.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back