Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Aires are for motorhomes, not caravans.
Firstly, is that correct?
But, motorhomes with car trailers seem to be OK.
Motorhomes with other trailers too.
So, what about a motorhome towing a small caravan?
Never seen one, does anyone else know?

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
You answered your own question I think, aires are for motorhomes. Motorhomes with trailers are not welcome if the trailer takes a space which means a motorhome cannot use it when there are no other spaces. However, if there is plenty of space I doubt anyone would say anything. I don't think the same is true of caravans.

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
Some Aires are larger than others and can be quiet so that would not be a problem then. However somewhere busier like Honfleur it maybe an issue

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Yep, Aires are for motorhomes only (as in Aires de service de camping cars)
MH's with trailers seem to be tolerated as long as they are not taking up a space that could accept an MH, but towing a small caravan? That's cheating :)

Deleted User
Of course it's France and "rules" are in most cases "guidelines" it's not unusual to see a car/caravan using an aire.

In some cases quite permanently :)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
what about a motorhome towing a small caravan?

yes, I have seen that on more than one occasion..

over the years have seen all-sorts.. 5th wheelers, caravans, tents, etc..

I used an RV with a trailer.. never had an issue but was always mindful not to use a space intended for a motorhome with the trailer..

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Lots and lots of motorhomes towing caravans in France, nearly always together.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
There were a couple of caravans in the aire at cordes sur ciel that were moved on after a few hours.
A small pvc towing a caravan at the Charmes aire was interviewed by the police but they eventually let them stay one night. That is a very busy aire.
you will almost certainly risk eviction if you uncouple the caravan though.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
yes, I have seen that on more than one occasion..

over the years have seen all-sorts.. 5th wheelers, caravans, tents, etc..

I used an RV with a trailer.. never had an issue but was always mindful not to use a space intended for a motorhome.
Nice to see you back SJ(y)

OP
OP
Candapack

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks all. I'm still pondering if a small PVC together with a small caravan is the way ahead for us.
Best of both worlds, or worst?

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Thanks all. I'm still pondering if a small PVC together with a small caravan is the way ahead for us.
Best of both worlds, or worst?
Worse,,just get a decent PVC and cut back on equipment a bit,,BUSBY.

Reactions: DBK

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Tell that
You answered your own question I think, aires are for motorhomes. Motorhomes with trailers are not welcome if the trailer takes a space which means a motorhome cannot use it when there are no other spaces. However, if there is plenty of space I doubt anyone would say anything. I don't think the same is true of caravans.
to the bloody French!:rolleyes:

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I think you would be limited to the places you can legally stay overnight, speaking from experience a motorhome Aire is there to allow you to Park and Sleep, and be able to remove your motorhome without any fuss, Caravans are regarded as being put down more in a permanent state and are therefore Camping, so thats where you should be looking to overnight, even Motorhomes are restricted as to how they pitch up overnight, eg. no corner steadies, tables and chairs out etc.
Many years ago we had the rig you are thinking about, it worked well for us, great fun, strange looks when arriving on sites, just how many beds do you have, 2 berth m/h and 4 berth caravan for 2 people. Good luck and happy travels.
Jumar.......Camperstopsierraespuna. Totana. Spain.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
You might get away with it in a few places but I doubt if you'd have a leg to stand on if challenged by officialdom, and the Police Municipale do monitor aires more keenly in the high season. It would also cause problems in smaller aires at peak times if you had to take two pitches. As others have said, 'setting down' (ie stabilisers and so on) implies camping in the legal sense and there are often restrictions against that, to prevent travellers occupying the aires.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Worse,,just get a decent PVC and cut back on equipment a bit,,BUSBY.
Agree, what's the point, you still haven't got a small car for sight seeing in the centre of towns but still towing something you have got to leave somewhere, one or the other , fine , but mixing the two is just not really going to be any good for anything.

OP
OP
Candapack

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Agree, what's the point, you still haven't got a small car for sight seeing in the centre of towns but still towing something you have got to leave somewhere, one or the other , fine , but mixing the two is just not really going to be any good for anything.
I know what you're saying, but not sure I agree. We tend to do either 2 or 3 nights away, for which a small PVC on it's own is fine. Or, we go away for a couple of months, and find we stay put for 2 weeks or more at a time. Then, a caravan is better, and I think I could comfortably take a small PVC (say less than 5.5 metres) into most small towns and villages.
But, while the theory seems sound, I'm thinking there's a reason I don't see similar outfits around.

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
I only know of one aire where caravans are specifically allowed and that is at St Jean Pied de Port. There is probably a few more but not many.

airesign.JPG

You would have no problem in Germany though, as quite a few stellplatze except them...

caravan.jpg
caravan-Stellpl-tze[1].jpg

Pete

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back