Jun 24, 2009
Alvorge,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Rockwood Fiver
Exp
2 years long time ago
Hi

Thinking of doing a Desertdetours trip to Morocco 2010 has anyone here taken a 5ver on one of the Tours? Any advice welcomed.

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
VWalan - member here seems to spend most of his time in one in Morocco (although we met them in Portugal) and an email to Ray an Debbie at DD will give you a straight answer as to whether it's suitable for their tour.

:Smile:
Keith

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi
Thinking of doing a Desertdetours trip to Morocco 2010 has anyone here taken a 5ver on one of the Tours? Any advice welcomed.

We took a normal MH this April. There were only two "different" tracks that might worry you, off road onto forest, one with a big dip and the other with a steep drop that meant we were told to go down at an angle so the front or back did not ground out.

Then there is Source Bleu, one of the nicest campsites where the drive is steep and twisty on polished stone, not for the faint hearted but not to be missed.

Some roads had roadworks, Moroccan style, that means a loose stone surface and I was surprised, when over a pit for the MOT, to find the underside was undamaged, it did not feel like it at the time.

Ray will be along any minute an say "No Problem" and he's usually right.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, i take my truck all over morocco n alot further .if a motor home goes there it cant be a bad road. soft sand as its problems so does wet grass . i follow the 4x4s they can usually pull you out . if not get out backwards with a winch or tow . every one gets stuck some time so have fun. i,m sure Ray will look after you he has been doing it for along time . its not like you are on route cape town. might see you there some where only if its warm though . cheers alan.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
We took a normal MH this April. There were only two "different" tracks that might worry you, off road onto forest, one with a big dip and the other with a steep drop that meant we were told to go down at an angle so the front or back did not ground out.

Then there is Source Bleu, one of the nicest campsites where the drive is steep and twisty on polished stone, not for the faint hearted but not to be missed.

Some roads had roadworks, Moroccan style, that means a loose stone surface and I was surprised, when over a pit for the MOT, to find the underside was undamaged, it did not feel like it at the time.

Ray will be along any minute an say "No Problem" and he's usually right.

The forest site could present problems but not insurmountable, when I was there taking the dip at a gentle angle and it was fine ,,

The Source Bleue site would no be possible with a 5er or a large RV .. we sat at the top by the site entrance along with another another RV. No big deal, we had the desert to ourselves..

Don't know if Ray is still using the site we were on in Meknes, if so that would be a challenge as would the sites at Quarzazate, Essauira and Todra Gorge .. all very tight ..

Roads are generally very good, but with narrow lanes, oncoming trucks don't give a stuff as I had the misfortune to find out .. cost me a side marker light and a door hinge on the metal part of a bridge .. the hard shoulder is dirt with a sharp drop off of the tarmac .. hit that at speed and you could damage tyres or worse ..

There is no way you can keep up with a convoy of euro vans, after the argument with the bridge we dropped our speed and caught up with the boy racers at the next stop.. usually about 10 - 15 mins behind , but what's the hurry ..

When we go back to Morocco we will do our own thing.. the DD tour is a good introduction to Morocco, you have none of the planning and breakdown worries but at 21 days it is too short and it's a hectic and tiring three weeks.. we stayed behind at Essauira for another 10 days then made our own way back to Spain ..

Rough route with sites we stayed at

Morocco Tour - Google Maps

OP
OP
Ant&Debs

Ant&Debs

Free Member
Jun 24, 2009
Alvorge,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Rockwood Fiver
Exp
2 years long time ago
morocco 2010

Thanks for your post. Might have me confused with another. never had a motorhome!:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Ant&Debs

Ant&Debs

Free Member
Jun 24, 2009
Alvorge,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Rockwood Fiver
Exp
2 years long time ago
Hi Thanks very much for the information very helpful. We thought that it would be best to go the first time in a group.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Roads are generally very good, but with narrow lanes, oncoming trucks don't give a stuff as I had the misfortune to find out

we stayed behind at Essauira for another 10 days then made our own way back to Spain ..

Tell me about it ! 'Er indoors was driving, actually overtaking a wagon which she insists he moved over, so there was I on the rough stuff , not slow, convinced we were going to go over as she wrenched my side back on the black stuff, we didn't. To this day I don't know why. Damned good these Fiats, that's all I can say.

Mind you, she did write off her Punto on the M62. I guess a MH would have been the pinnacle of a smashing career.

Essouria - what a lovely place, but we were all holidayed out by then so we did not stay on. We did get there a day early because Marrakech was too hot. It would be nice to fly back to there, I'm sure it would be much cheaper than driving and the toilets in a hotel must be a bit better.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Thanks very much for the information very helpful. We thought that it would be best to go the first time in a group.

Most people are of that mind, however, if you stuck to the Atlantic coast down to Agadir it's not much different or more difficult than driving in Spain, tens of thousands of vans do this route every year, that said to see the REAL Morocco and escape the tourists you need to get over the High Atlas, this is where being part of a tour with a guide who knows Morocco is recommended for the first trip at least..

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
it's not much different or more difficult than driving in Spain

From a crime POV I think much safer than Spain and too much of the EU. Ask Geo !

We did have some kids throwing stones at us and some vans were damaged, I think our passenger window is chipped, but that is an insignificant threat. The worst damage was a broken windscreen due to a stone thrown up by a lorry.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back