Straw Clutching Time- Hobby Locker Seals (1 Viewer)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Hi All,

I've discovered the dreaded H2O immediatley under the rear o/s 'under bed' locker of our Hobby (X244 650EC)

Having had a good examination, I'm convinced that the said water is managing to get between the rubber seal on the locker door and the inboard closure.
I've rung Hobby in Derbyshire who don't have a code for the offending seal which is showing it's age. It hasn't split in two yet but the rubber is showing signs of fatigue, (who isn't.)

I haven't as yet pulled out the offending profile because it seem to be glued into the central 'female' groove' and I'm absolutely convinced such action will end in tears. (Mine.)

I've looked at the 'Seals-Direct' site with no apparent match.

Has anyone out there replaced the seals on a Hobby with other than 6" nails and if so, can they direct me to a supplier of repute. Don't kill yourselves in the rush to answer this question

Regards

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Thanks for that Jimbo but nothing I've seen looks anthing like. I'll keep looking (or failing that, Google translate to Hobby in Germany to see what they say.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
When we sold our Motorhome we had a full hab check done. We had had them done for our piece of mind during ownership . So knew she'd be ok.
When the couple who were buying it, brought a damp meter with them (and stuck it in every surface available ! ) they found damp in the locker door to the garage and gas bottle storage.
Un be known to us , the hab checks don't check this area. ( Doors to lockers) We honestly didn't know it was there. Anyway we knocked an agreed amount off the price for them to fix it.
The buyers told us they were going to get some new door seals from Magnums.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I'll try to explain what I'm looking for.
I apologise if this doesn't come across well.
On the Hobby, there are several lockers that all fit flush to the body. On the inside of each locker door is a strip of metal running around the whole of the circumference. This strip of metal that has the appearance of the herzim strip that you find on a caravan.
This strip holds a rubber 'foot that is glued to the inside of the herzim strip. It from that 'foot' is formed a hollow tube. When the door/locker is closed, the tube squashes against the lip of the inside profile of the opening, thereby making it waterproof. With time the hollow tube is becoming not as resiliant to water attempting to enter the van.
The width of the Herzim strip is critical in purchasing the seal and, because it is attached, (and I don't want to remove it) without there being a replacement.
e

Upvote 0

Al1

Free Member
Jul 20, 2008
Funster No
Could you feed something into the hollow to bulk it out a bit and get the seal back till you find the part?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
I could replicate your seal for you using silicone rubber. Although it depends if the cost is inside your budget. I will need a small sample (only about 20mm) from that I can price it up for you. If you are interested, PM me and I will give you my address.

Cheers,

Keith :cool:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Could you feed something into the hollow to bulk it out a bit and get the seal back till you find the part?

Yes Al,

I did think about putting some of that self adhesive door trim on the 'inside' of the closure and I'll probably do that as an intrim,:rolleyes: (no pun intended) measure but I don't want to regard that as anything but temporary.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back