Oct 31, 2012
here there and everywhere
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650
Exp
Since December 2012
Good evening everyone.
Having just returned from a 4 week trip to France and Spain, ( 3 weeks in France, and 1 week in Northern Spain) I am seeking your expertise, regarding Wi Fi in Spain.
I purchased a Huawei Pocket Wi-Fi thingy with a Sim Card, in France from SFR in Boulogne over 2 years ago, and top it up with €35 every time we go to France. This lasts us about 4 weeks, for general browsing, e-mails, etc. and works well for us, while in France. I also have one of these for 3, in the UK. Again, this works well for us while on the road in our MH in the UK.
We travelled into Northern Spain for about a week, for a look see, as a taster if you like, as we had not ventured into Spain before. Obviously our SFR Wi-Fi would not work in Spain, as I knew before hand it wouldn't. We did enquire at a Vodaphone shop in Burgos in Spain, but I don't think they sell those Huawei Wi-Fi Router thingies, like they do in France, or UK. Any advice as to what you Funsters use in Spain ( Portugal also, as we tend to visit there as well in the future) would be gratefully received. I am under the impression that you can rent these Wi-Fi units, but you can not buy them there, is that true? Sorry it's a long one. Many thanks. BillyS

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
SFR does work in Spain. We have a French contract one that works. BUT it don't half cost.
Roll on 2017 when roaming charges are banned.....in the EU!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
We also have a Huawei mifi, unlocked, with a 3 sim for use in UK, France and Spain.

Recently bought a 3 sim with 12 gb for £30 as we are off for 3 weeks in France, possibly Spain shortly, this should work fine with 3's At home thingy.

No good in Portugal though.

You can buy mifi devices on Amazon and eBay, more modern than mine can also have an aerial connection for better reception.

Hymie.

OP
OP
BillyS
Oct 31, 2012
here there and everywhere
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650
Exp
Since December 2012
Vodaphone huawei mi fi bought in Spain with their SIM!
Is that a Phone, or a Mobile Wi-Fi Router unit you purchased? They wanted to sell me a Phone, one with a 12 month Contract at over €20 a month, and another cheaper Phone on Pay as you Go.
BillyS

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Good evening everyone.
Having just returned from a 4 week trip to France and Spain, ( 3 weeks in France, and 1 week in Northern Spain) I am seeking your expertise, regarding Wi Fi in Spain.
I purchased a Huawei Pocket Wi-Fi thingy with a Sim Card, in France from SFR in Boulogne over 2 years ago, and top it up with €35 every time we go to France. This lasts us about 4 weeks, for general browsing, e-mails, etc. and works well for us, while in France. I also have one of these for 3, in the UK. Again, this works well for us while on the road in our MH in the UK.
We travelled into Northern Spain for about a week, for a look see, as a taster if you like, as we had not ventured into Spain before. Obviously our SFR Wi-Fi would not work in Spain, as I knew before hand it wouldn't. We did enquire at a Vodaphone shop in Burgos in Spain, but I don't think they sell those Huawei Wi-Fi Router thingies, like they do in France, or UK. Any advice as to what you Funsters use in Spain ( Portugal also, as we tend to visit there as well in the future) would be gratefully received. I am under the impression that you can rent these Wi-Fi units, but you can not buy them there, is that true? Sorry it's a long one. Many thanks. BillyS
I am using a 3 (unlocked) mifi in Spain with 3 feel at home, in Portugal I temporarily replaced it with an NOS Livre data card €10 for 10 days unlimited data (y) You absolutely need an unlocked mifi and I am not sure if Voda sell that!

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Why dont you unlock one of the MIFI you have already so it can use any sim ??
No need to carry seperate ones.. I think thats what most of us do..
Then buy a local sim when you are in country..

Unlock codes are 99p on ebay..

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Is that a Phone, or a Mobile Wi-Fi Router unit you purchased? They wanted to sell me a Phone, one with a 12 month Contract at over €20 a month, and another cheaper Phone on Pay as you Go.
BillyS
It is a mi fi

Feb 29, 2012
Reading & Surgeres France.
Funster No
MH
Hymer 584
Exp
Motor homing since 1998.
Hi, your mifi will unlock easily, then you can use whichever sim you choose, 3 is a good bet as Hymie says,
12 gb for £30, valid for 12 months.Or a local sim wherever you are.
Unlock codes can be bought for about £1 on ebay.
Barrie.

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
I took out a 3 mobile mifi with an allowance of 20Gb per month on a rolling monthly contract before we left the UK for £22 per month. It works in feel at home locations, which includes France and Spain, for no extra charge up to a limit of 12Gb per month for 2 months in any one year. We are just back from 8 weeks in France and Spain and I can't fault it. We've used it for email, working, downloading from BBC iPlayer, Facebook and for Fun of course. Speeds have varied from reasonable to very slow but we were only once in a location where I couldn't get a signal. I've used the 2 month "feel at home" allowance for this year now so I may cancel the contract before we go abroad again and start a new contract or just use PAYG sim cards in the future.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
According to your original post you already have one with a 3 sim. This will work in UK and France and Spain all at the same rate on the 3 feel at home thingy, so you don't have to do anything apart from taking it with you of course.

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
According to your original post you already have one with a 3 sim. This will work in UK and France and Spain all at the same rate on the 3 feel at home thingy, so you don't have to do anything apart from taking it with you of course.
I was just about to say the same thing. The 3 feel at home scheme should have your mifi working all over France and Spain just as it does in the UK... or have I missed a vital piece of info :D:D it wouldn't be the first time :LOL::LOL:

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
We also have a Huawei mifi, unlocked, with a 3 sim for use in UK, France and Spain.

Recently bought a 3 sim with 12 gb for £30 as we are off for 3 weeks in France, possibly Spain shortly, this should work fine with 3's At home thingy.

No good in Portugal though.

You can buy mifi devices on Amazon and eBay, more modern than mine can also have an aerial connection for better reception.

Hymie.
Me too. Just used 3.9 gig in Spain in 2 weeks mostly just checking emails, campsites. Hungry thing indeed. I've got a cheepo ebay squarial, it does seem to work well, always adds a bar or two. No, not that sort of bar!! But it is definitely more convenient than trotting along to reception to pay through the nose for a connection you can only get in the bar - yes, that sort of bar!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back