Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I'm just about at the end of my pre- expedition ;-) shake down and everything is looking good.... except

The fresh water doesn't come out of the taps when I turn them on but instead dumps out under the van through presumably what is an overflow.

Is this a blockage of some sort or have I forgotten something ? Neither the shower or sink taps are working but both trigger the water pump. They were working fine a few weeks ago.

Any suggestions would be really welcome as I'm off tomorrow to catch the boat.

Many thanks!

Motorhome Man

Free Member
Mar 2, 2016
Upper Halling, Kent
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2015
HiTriple, is the water coming out from underneath when the pump is running, or is coming out when you open the taps.If its the first did you open the boiler drain prior to shut down and forget to close it, or it could be stuck open,if its the latter perhaps a waste pipe has come away from its tank fitting or possibly split.Luke

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Possibly your boiler frost protection has operated so when you turn your taps on and the pump starts it tries to fill the boiler first and the water is just draining onto the ground.

These are some of the more common ones to give you an idea of what you're looking for:

Leak.JPG
2urmkvn.jpg
Tap.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Triple7

Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Thanks for the quick reply.

Should the blue tap be at right angles or straight on? I've pushed the reset button but still no water although it doesn't dump it anymore. How does the boiler re fill itself?

Attachments

• DSC_0241.JPG
    DSC_0241.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC_0239.JPG
    DSC_0239.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 43
OP
OP
Triple7

Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Thanks for the quick reply.

Should the blue tap be at right angles or straight on? I've pushed the reset button but still no water although it doesn't dump it anymore. How does the boiler re fill itself?

Getting there. After a few resets I'm now getting some flow. It's not as good as normal so is that because there is an air lock or something to do with the boiler refilling?

What's the best way to sort an air lock?

Thanks again for your help

Cheers
Rory

Motorhome Man

Free Member
Mar 2, 2016
Upper Halling, Kent
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2015
Hi Triple, valve is right as pic you need to open a hot tap and leave it open until water flows freely then you know boiler has filled, then open all other hot taps until they flow, do the same with cold taps. Make sure fresh water tank is at least half full.

OP
OP
Triple7

Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
HiTriple, is the water coming out from underneath when the pump is running, or is coming out when you open the taps.If its the first did you open the boiler drain prior to shut down and forget to close it, or it could be stuck open,if its the latter perhaps a waste pipe has come away from its tank fitting or possibly split.Luke
Hi Like,It was only coming out when I turned on the taps. I didn't do any draining over winter as it never got very cold. I think it's the frost protection as motorhome man says as I now getting a dribble from the tap and it's not dumping anymore. Thanks for your suggestion. Cheers Rory

OP
OP
Triple7

Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Hi Triple, valve is right as pic you need to open a hot tap and leave it open until water flows freely then you know boiler has filled, then open all other hot taps until they flow, do the same with cold taps. Make sure fresh water tank is at least half full.

Great thanks for the info. The tank is almost empty . In fact I did empty it trying to get it to work and had to go to the river for a couple of bucket loads. I will probably wait until I'm at my first stop. Pretty sure I can sort it now with this info. Cheers mate. Rory

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
It seems you've got all the good advice you need, but one extra thing we do when filling the water tank on arrival on site is to 1) ensure the boiler dump valve is closed, then 2) open the hot taps and this draws water into the boiler whilst you ar filling the main tank. I know the boilers only hold around 11litres, but you might as well fill the boiler and the main tank to full capacity at the outset.

Motorhome Man

Free Member
Mar 2, 2016
Upper Halling, Kent
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2015
Yes that is " very good " advice ,in fact something I never thought of doing, I will next time "open the taps when filling up" so simple when you know. Like most things, and once again never too old to learn. Thank you Hymer. Many thanks Luke

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Filling up in cold weather can be a pain in the arse.

When we went away in February I was putting some in before we left and couldn't make the bloody dump valve stay in because the van was so cold. In the end I had to make 'er indoors sit there and hold it manually shut for 20 minutes while I got some water in and ran the heating to get the temperature of the van up enough. :D

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I dont have an auto dump valve....makes life much simpler.
I always drain down in winter....even if there's little chance of a heavy frost.
Takes a few minutes to refill and purge the boiler and taps.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I stick a peg on ours.
Lee

Ours is the third type in my post above. Nowhere to put a peg. You can try and put tape or cable ties around it to hold the button in but it doesn't work very well. I don't mind it being there and operating if it needs to, it's just when it does it as you're filling that it becomes a pain.

OP
OP
Triple7

Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
It seems you've got all the good advice you need, but one extra thing we do when filling the water tank on arrival on site is to 1) ensure the boiler dump valve is closed, then 2) open the hot taps and this draws water into the boiler whilst you ar filling the main tank. I know the boilers only hold around 11litres, but you might as well fill the boiler and the main tank to full capacity at the outset.
Great suggestion, Thanks very much:)

OP
OP
Triple7

Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
@Triple7 you're welcome. Whereabouts in Devon? Gary
Tavistock. I thought it would be a good place to start from :)

I'm in La Rochelle now. Seems like I won't be having a spring this year. Straight from winter to summer lol

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
@Triple7 lovely place La Rochelle, have you been on Ile De Re too? Before we ended up in Probus, we spent a week on a site near Tavistock, can't remember the name but it looked just like a club site. We liked Tavistock a lot, and looked at houses there too, but opted for Cornwall in the end. Gary

OP
OP
Triple7

Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
@Triple7 lovely place La Rochelle, have you been on Ile De Re too? Before we ended up in Probus, we spent a week on a site near Tavistock, can't remember the name but it looked just like a club site. We liked Tavistock a lot, and looked at houses there too, but opted for Cornwall in the end. Gary
No but it's tempting. I'm headed south to Spain. Where abouts in Cornwall did you settle?

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
@Triple7 We ended up in Probus, just on the St Austell side of Truro. We spent Winter in Spain two years ago, at Los Madriles, just outside Puerto Mazarron in Murcia. Loved it, dead cheap and unspoilt. Went back again last month, but only for two weeks. We'll be going back for the Winter next year, but doing Southern Britanny for three weeks this September.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Ours is the third type in my post above. Nowhere to put a peg. You can try and put tape or cable ties around it to hold the button in but it doesn't work very well. I don't mind it being there and operating if it needs to, it's just when it does it as you're filling that it becomes a pain.
What model of boiler do you have? That type of frost dump valve is relatively recent & most of the recent Truma heaters can be turned on to heat the air with the boiler empty.

OP
OP
Triple7

Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
@Triple7 We ended up in Probus, just on the St Austell side of Truro. We spent Winter in Spain two years ago, at Los Madriles, just outside Puerto Mazarron in Murcia. Loved it, dead cheap and unspoilt. Went back again last month, but only for two weeks. We'll be going back for the Winter next year, but doing Southern Britanny for three weeks this September.
#motorhome addict :)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
What model of boiler do you have? That type of frost dump valve is relatively recent & most of the recent Truma heaters can be turned on to heat the air with the boiler empty.

Alde.

It has a Truma air heater as well but that obviously only works on EHU. Easier to make her sit there than faff around getting the cable out and connecting it up with the van parked at the side of the road at home.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back