Free Member
Mar 16, 2016
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Still looking!
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi, I am about to embark on a European trip for a year with children who I will home educate along the way! I am currently in the process of searching for my first motorhome to do this in! We will of course be living in it full time. Whilst we have never even been on a motorhome holiday before, we have camped for many years so this will a little luxury for us. I am very torn between a rear lounge layout or a Bunk Bed layout and am going round in circles a bit! However, do want a 6/7 berth for the additional space and seating area/chill out/study area for the children. I also want cab air con but have a budget to stick to which is making this a bit difficult. We are starting in the north and heading south for the winter months. Any advice would be very gratefully received!

I have my eye on a 2009 Rimor Europeo with a Bunk Bed layout but struggling to find any information about these on line. Does anybody have one or can give me any advise on these?

Thank you

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It might be difficult if you have children in tow but you can potentially get a much better bargain if you buy the MH in Europe, Germany for example, then drive it back here to get it registered. It is a well trodden route and there are lots on here who can give advice on the process.

Apart from having the steering wheel in the right place you will have a much better chance of getting a fully winterised vehicle, which many British built vehicles are not.

Alternatively look at these folk: Link Removed
They have been well spoken of on here.

I'll avoid any reference to Lady Penelope (in the news at the moment) and just add:
:welcomesign:

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
As one who home educated my four who have all grown up now - what a wonderful thing to do for them to take them travelling .
The best of luck. It was the best thing I did in my life.
Hope someone can advise you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
PenelopeP

PenelopeP

Free Member
Mar 16, 2016
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Still looking!
Exp
I'm a newbie
It might be difficult if you have children in tow but you can potentially get a much better bargain if you buy the MH in Europe, Germany for example, then drive it back here to get it registered. It is a well trodden route and there are lots on here who can give advice on the process.

Apart from having the steering wheel in the right place you will have a much better chance of getting a fully winterised vehicle, which many British built vehicles are not.

Alternatively look at these folk: Link Removed
They have been well spoken of on here.

I'll avoid any reference to Lady Penelope (in the news at the moment) and just add:
:welcomesign:
Thank you. We have had a little trip to Germany in search of a LHD but didn't find what we were after! I will look into Bundesvan to see if they can help!

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
PenelopeP

PenelopeP

Free Member
Mar 16, 2016
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Still looking!
Exp
I'm a newbie
As one who home educated my four who have all grown up now - what a wonderful thing to do for them to take them travelling .
The best of luck. It was the best thing I did in my life.
Hope someone can advise you.
That is reassuring, thank you. I am currently researching it and trying to source resources to support us!

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
Sounds absolutely fantastic!
As been said, plenty of help on here before after & during your travels.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
That is reassuring, thank you. I am currently researching it and trying to source resources to support us!
welcome to fun
Theres a dealer in belgium called Decuper,if you google the name you will find their web site,Camperama is also well thought of amongst funsters ,im picking up a new Rapido in three weeks time from belgium,the savings on UK price are very good

OP
OP
PenelopeP

PenelopeP

Free Member
Mar 16, 2016
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Still looking!
Exp
I'm a newbie
Sounds absolutely fantastic!
As been said, plenty of help on here before after & during your travels.
Thank you, as I'm sure I will be coming back with many questions along the way. I will arm myself with the haynes manual and have purchased various other books to help me become an 'armchair expert' but there are still little things I haven't worked put yet, like how to empty the toilet cassette if I'm not on a campsite with the dedicated facilities and can't find a service point?! I've picked up that in the UK service pints are not readily available!

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
What a great adventure, just make sure if you are using it all year that it is fully winterised! Good luck and enjoy!!

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
Thank you, as I'm sure I will be coming back with many questions along the way. I will arm myself with the haynes manual and have purchased various other books to help me become an 'armchair expert' but there are still little things I haven't worked put yet, like how to empty the toilet cassette if I'm not on a campsite with the dedicated facilities and can't find a service point?! I've picked up that in the UK service pints are not readily available!
in no time at all things will become second nature. with a full van it may pay you to have a second toilet cassette. we empty using public loos in uk as well as disposal points as we use washing machine fluid instead of chemicals. in europe there arre lots of 'service points' at which to fill up and empty at. try camper contact website & app as a start point (http://www.campercontact.com/en/).

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Welcome have travelled with 3 children in an escape 686 rear lounge central dinette and over cab bed. the 2 separate seating areas were invaluable, especially in bad weather it was great being able to have the gang away from the cooking area too. only downside going for a year would be making up beds every night. this British van was far better insulated than our present European one too. lots of vans about with same layout to be found. what a great experience for you all.

OP
OP
PenelopeP

PenelopeP

Free Member
Mar 16, 2016
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Still looking!
Exp
I'm a newbie
Welcome have travelled with 3 children in an escape 686 rear lounge central dinette and over cab bed. the 2 separate seating areas were invaluable, especially in bad weather it was great being able to have the gang away from the cooking area too. only downside going for a year would be making up beds every night. this British van was far better insulated than our present European one too. lots of vans about with same layout to be found. what a great experience for you all.
Thank you. I really want cab air conditioning and I have been told a couple of times that this is rare in a rear lounge set up for the years and budget we have, as it is a British lay out and British ones didn't really have cab air con then! If I go for bunk beds it will be the type with an additional 2 seater dinette to the 4 seater or a little bench seat along side it. From your experience would you have thought this in addition to the bunk beds was enough for 2 young children to escape each other and us? The advantage of the bunk beds is the fact I don't have to make them up, the children may be more comfortable sleeping in 'proper' beds long term and they have more boot storage space! But I do like the idea of 2 completely separate seating areas for those wet cold nights and for escaping mosquitoes when necessary! It is a difficult decision!

OP
OP
PenelopeP

PenelopeP

Free Member
Mar 16, 2016
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Still looking!
Exp
I'm a newbie
in no time at all things will become second nature. with a full van it may pay you to have a second toilet cassette. we empty using public loos in uk as well as disposal points as we use washing machine fluid instead of chemicals. in europe there arre lots of 'service points' at which to fill up and empty at. try camper contact website & app as a start point (http://www.campercontact.com/en/).
I like the idea of using washing machine fluid rather than chemicals in the toilet! Must smell much better, do I just poor it in?

OP
OP
PenelopeP

PenelopeP

Free Member
Mar 16, 2016
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Still looking!
Exp
I'm a newbie
What a great adventure, just make sure if you are using it all year that it is fully winterised! Good luck and enjoy!!
I am still looking into that! Thank you! I am not planning to be in the mountains on the Winter but you never know where we might end up!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
When you say cab A/C do you mean A/C in the living area or the one which blows cold air out of the vents on the dash board? I would have thought the latter was fairly common these days but of course perhaps not if you are looking at an older vehicle. I think these days most folk buying a new MH irrespective of layout will be going for cab A/C - we have all grown soft I guess!

Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
Is it really that bad or are they just not using the right fluid? Do you need to use toilet liquid sold for this purpose or is it OK to use bleach or ordinary toilet cleaner?

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
That video was a joke. If you use bio wash fluid it doesn't really smell at all, if you use the official blue stuff ig just smells of loo fluid. Empty frequently and there is no problem.

Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
Thanks, I'm still waiting to take possession (hopefully in a couple of weeks) of my first motorhome so I couldn't be sure!

Welcome to the site Penelope (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back