LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
A very useful summary - though I like the bit that says "This strategy is based on the opinion of a number of legal experts, who don’t always agree" (my italics) ::bigsmile:

I read recently that the DVLA is reviewing its procedures and proposing in future to deal only with companies which are members of a recognised body (i.e. the BPA at the moment) in order to ensure fair recovery practices and reasonable charges. Hopefully that will get rid of the cowboys.

Graham

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980

Sweet Chariot

Free Member
Sep 30, 2007
Staffordshire Moorlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2006
My Wife has just received a letter for parking on a Morrisons car park for more than the 2 hours allowed. The fine was for £70 but if she paid within 14 days £40. The letter stated they had photo evidence. (not supplied)
Wife rang Morrisons informing them she had shopped and had a meal in their store was told to forget the fine and if she visited again just pop in the store and we will remove your vehicle details and stop as long as you want. I was going to send a letter to the company issuing the letters to provide the photo evidence if you want your fine paying as we are not sure whom was driving at the time.:roflmto:

Baggins

Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
Torbay
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Thanks for posting this Dylan.

Too many people just accept the threats and pay up.

Scotland has quite simply outlawed these bandits.

Good advice on the site about non-council PCN's being the responsibility of the driver not the owner. I would never remember who was driving and have no responsibility to these toe-rags to make any effort.

Regarding having been clamped and paid up make it very clear that you are paying under duress (in writing) - get their licence details and then hit them with the County Court. It will not fail as, if they ignore CC judgement in your favour, their licence to rob is lost.

Why local councils do not stamp out these rogues is beyond my comprehension - especially when the clampers remove vehicles to compounds 50 miles away as they do in Torquay.

BW

PS. I should say that I have never personally been ripped off but have had dealings with these scum on behalf of Self-Drive hire companies.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
snip)
Why local councils do not stamp out these rogues is beyond my comprehension - especially when the clampers remove vehicles to compounds 50 miles away as they do in Torquay.
Quite simple - because local authorities do not have the power to stop companies undertaking these acts on their own (or their employers') private property.

It's good to see that Morrisons were flexible when presented with evidence of someone's bona fides but we have to remember that it isn't everyone who parks who is actually using the store facilities. Many stores have introduced restrictions purely because people were using their car parks as free long stay areas and preventing genuine shoppers from being able to stop, to the detriment of both store and shopper. If those people had a bit of respect for others and parked where they should then stores wouldn't have to introduce restrictions.

Graham

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sweet Chariot

Free Member
Sep 30, 2007
Staffordshire Moorlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2006
Quite simple - because local authorities do not have the power to stop companies undertaking these acts on their own (or their employers') private property.

It's good to see that Morrisons were flexible when presented with evidence of someone's bona fides but we have to remember that it isn't everyone who parks who is actually using the store facilities. Many stores have introduced restrictions purely because people were using their car parks as free long stay areas and preventing genuine shoppers from being able to stop, to the detriment of both store and shopper. If those people had a bit of respect for others and parked where they should then stores wouldn't have to introduce restrictions.

Graham

That is a interesting point as some of the people who argue over the legality of parking om Morrisons even admitted that they drove through the exit sign to confuse the camera. Do not get me wrong if they have no intention of using the store but want to park there cough up the money.::bigsmile:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
many councils are just as bad as the cowboys. dont pay let them take you to court ,usually never happens ,works on fear. you can always pay at the last minute. if you dont want to be the one to stand up n say i,m sorry wont do it again. its all about greed .

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
many councils are just as bad as the cowboys. dont pay let them take you to court ,usually never happens ,works on fear. you can always pay at the last minute. if you dont want to be the one to stand up n say i,m sorry wont do it again. its all about greed .

I agree, it's all about greed.

Greedy, selfish people who think they can just park where they want, when they want, no matter the adverse effect on anyone else :Smile:

Graham

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, graham. i was given a ticket for not parking in with the trucks at stratford upon avon. i had parked in the car n caravan park. they said i would be taken to court but it never happened . i was in my car n caravan see pic. sometimes even the council use fear. i dont aprove of blattent not paying or abusing the parking .its just sometimes even a few minutes gets you a ticket. yes i know if your late back its your fault, but sometimes they just seem to pounce. there are rules n regs even for steet parking and authority very often get it wrong. no signs , no permission ,for yellow lines etc its always worth a challenge .authority isnt always right. have fun i do. cheers alan.

Andy - V8 Diesel

Free Member
Sep 3, 2008
Manchester
Funster No
MH
30ft 5th wheel
Not actually unlawful. The point made by the article referred to in the OP is that tickets issued by private companies can be challenged as they are a response to breach of contract rather than being fines (as imposed by public authorities).

Graham

Breach of contract hhmmmm thats nice thats my point really i never contract with any of them so don't pay there stupid unlawful fines or penalty's.

They are all private company's and all there letter's are just a way of putting fear into you.
So you payup

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Wait for the flames:Eeek::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

love and peace Andy

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
hi, graham. i was given a ticket for not parking in with the trucks at stratford upon avon. i had parked in the car n caravan park. they said i would be taken to court but it never happened . i was in my car n caravan see pic. sometimes even the council use fear. i dont aprove of blattent not paying or abusing the parking .its just sometimes even a few minutes gets you a ticket. yes i know if your late back its your fault, but sometimes they just seem to pounce. there are rules n regs even for steet parking and authority very often get it wrong. no signs , no permission ,for yellow lines etc its always worth a challenge .authority isnt always right. have fun i do. cheers alan.

I agree that if the TRO is wrongly written and/or signage is wrong then it is quite right to challenge a ticket. If public authorities get things wrong by carelessness then they deserve to be shown up. I do have sympathy for councils when it is not their fault though - like when a marking (yellow line, say) is destroyed by somebody digging up the road and not reinstating it properly.

In my experience of working with local authority parking offices I've never known them use fear as such - but I wouldn't class going through the legal process of chasing an unpaid fine as fear :Smile:

I suppose parking attendants appear to pounce if they have actually just happened to be in the right place to issue a ticket when someone is a few minutes late back because we don't think of them not pouncing if we get back late and find no ticket :Smile:

Graham

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Breach of contract hhmmmm thats nice thats my point really i never contract with any of them so don't pay there stupid unlawful fines or penalty's.
As pointed out on Martin Lewis's web site, a driver enters into a contract when parking - so I'm afraid that, in law, like it or not, there is a contract. Whether action for breach is fair or not is the question.

They are all private company's and all there letter's are just a way of putting fear into you.

Except for the public authorities of course :Smile:

Graham

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back