Chassis extension on Rapido (1 Viewer)

Aug 21, 2014
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20 yrs on and off
:smiley: Advice please fellow Funsters, we've been and gone and done it again :smiley: Have part exchanged our current forever van for a Rapido 840f and would like advice about fitting a carrier for small motorbike and this would mean extending the chassis. Does anyone have any experience/advice to offer please :smiley: We're very pleased with the van so it won't be a big deal if it's not a good idea, just playing around with ideas :smiley:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
First, you need to get underneath and see if its already been extended.
If it does have extensions then I would say forget it.
Also, it may be an ALKO chassis which requires bolt on extensions...not welded.
Welding will destroy the galvanised coating then the rot sets in.
As a last point, the chassis may be a lot higher than the lower edge of the rear valance/skirt making extensions too high behind the skirt to fit a towbar or rack brackets.
The last one I made had to be lowered 5" to clear the skirt.

OP
OP
2spritelyislanders
Aug 21, 2014
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20 yrs on and off
First, you need to get underneath and see if its already been extended.
If it does have extensions then I would say forget it.
Also, it may be an ALKO chassis which requires bolt on extensions...not welded.
Welding will destroy the galvanised coating then the rot sets in.
As a last point, the chassis may be a lot higher than the lower edge of the rear valance/skirt making extensions too high behind the skirt to fit a towbar or rack brackets.
The last one I made had to be lowered 5" to clear the skirt.

:smiley: Thanks pappajohn :smiley: Nowhere else but Fun would you get such a quick response :smiley:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
My Hymer has the usual floor support extension to the chassis. The towbar, made from steel section that would do justice to the Forth Bridge, bypasses the original extension and bolts the the main chassis. Two 10mm bolts for each rail. The steel sections used are 120mm x 10mm joined at the rear by box section that's at least 75mm x 75mm onto which a short extension is welded to accept the towball mounting plate. It would be more than capable of carrying a small motorbike. I'd be tempted to approach a motorhome towbar manufacturer for a custom build. Shouldn't cost much more than having a towbar made.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
My Hymer has the usual floor support extension to the chassis. The towbar, made from steel section that would do justice to the Forth Bridge, bypasses the original extension and bolts the the main chassis. Two 10mm bolts for each rail. The steel sections used are 120mm x 10mm joined at the rear by box section that's at least 75mm x 75mm onto which a short extension is welded to accept the towball mounting plate. It would be more than capable of carrying a small motorbike. I'd be tempted to approach a motorhome towbar manufacturer for a custom build. Shouldn't cost much more than having a towbar made.
I think there was a post showing a towball mounted short 2 wheeled trailer designed for exactly this purpose? I can find it but it was posted in the last couple of weeks or so!

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
I would email Rapido and ask the question, give them model number, vin number etc, the address is info@rapido.fr marked for the attention of Anthony Pfaff, he has been very helpful to us in the past. (y)
Cheers
Ed

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Gary
Towbar Fitter From Bournmouth did a brilliant job with our Hymer Exsis got the Alko type approved and he fitted it with van on my driveway in half a day with all the electrics etc he is very thorough.
Call him on this number 07778 343464
He really has got a good reputation and gets most of his work by word of mouth.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
My thoughts were someone bolting/welding to the existing extensions, which are barely substantial enough to support the floor never mind a towbar.
On mine if Hymer had had the foresight to fit a towbar it would easily have replaced the (as you say - flimsy) extensions they've used.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back