Securing Satellite to the roof. (1 Viewer)

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
New Snipe Satellite arrived yesterday so hopefully if i have time will start to fit it in the morning, depends how i feel after tonights Night shift.

Question is what adhesive do you recommend for fixing it to roof and would you use only this or screws also.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Sikaflex....no screws.

Roof needs to be THOROUGHLY dry and clean.
Before fixing the baseplate put 4 washers just inboard of the corners of the plate, sikaflex needs a small gap between surfaces to cure properly and remain flexible.
Leave 24 hours to cure fully

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
In case you need more weight of opinion ............ exactly as PJ says :).

Could you possibly measure the thickness of your mounting plate? - I need one & I have no intention of buying the correct expensive item - just need to know what thickness to buy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
In case you need more weight of opinion ............ exactly as PJ says :).

Could you possibly measure the thickness of your mounting plate? - I need one & I have no intention of buying the correct expensive item - just need to know what thickness to buy.
Will do that for you before fitting

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
I didn't fit my Snipe permanently to the roof.
(a) I didn't want any more holes in the roof and
(b) It would mean difficulty if I sold the van. ( I would either have to buy a new Snipe, or clean off the gunge, risking damage to the roof or paint colour differences)

I just pop mine up on the roof via the large Hekki rooflight or (security permitting) put it on a small camping table.

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
fitted mine last week .its very easy .lots of cable come with it .before fitting i did a test on drive picked up astra 2 quickly used Broken Link Removed

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
I used Sikaflex 252 without any screws to secure my Megasat (Snipe Pro Clone) to our van.

2015-10-10 17.43.59.jpg 2015-10-11 10.02.14.jpg

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I didn't fit my Snipe permanently to the roof.
(a) I didn't want any more holes in the roof and
(b) It would mean difficulty if I sold the van. ( I would either have to buy a new Snipe, or clean off the gunge, risking damage to the roof or paint colour differences)

I just pop mine up on the roof via the large Hekki rooflight or (security permitting) put it on a small camping table.

As long as you don't forget when you drive away:(

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
fitted mine last week .its very easy .lots of cable come with it .before fitting i did a test on drive picked up astra 2 quickly used Broken Link Removed
Planning on trying it before we fit it just to make sure alls ok, heading off this weekend so might just pop it out on roof before fixing it.
Did you just use this on its own or with screws

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
Followed instructions used the screws supplied.you have to drill a hole for cable whats a few more .screws hold down mounting plate firmer onto roof

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Followed instructions used the screws supplied.you have to drill a hole for cable whats a few more .screws hold down mounting plate firmer onto roof
Cheers, yes I'm ok with drilling hole for cable just wondered if you done them for the plate as per instructions as most folk seem to just use the adhesive

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Just Sikaflex holding our Snipe on Gerry, the roof of a PV is soooo thin the screws would do little.
For the first few trips you will stick your head through the skylight to see if is still there and then you begin to have faith in Sikaflex.
Just as an aside Gerry our Snipe has worked really well

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
When fitting my solar panel I put masking tape around the mounting feet have placed them in the correct position. I then lifted them off and could see by the tape where to roughen the paint. I also used the Sikaflex activator but I think meths would be almost as good to clean both the roof and feet.

I then used 3mm tile spacers to create the gap for the Sikaflex adhesive.

I used small stainless steel self tappers for extra security and they do ensure nothing moves while the adhesive is setting.

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Just Sikaflex holding our Snipe on Gerry, the roof of a PV is soooo thin the screws would do little.
For the first few trips you will stick your head through the skylight to see if is still there and then you begin to have faith in Sikaflex.
Just as an aside Gerry our Snipe has worked really well
Thanks Alan, its just doesn't feel right not using screws but that was my worry the thickness of the roof. If I have time tomorrow I will set about it before heading off for the weekend. If not I will just throw it on the roof to try it out.
Glad to hear your happy with yours

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
When fitting my solar panel I put masking tape around the mounting feet have placed them in the correct position. I then lifted them off and could see by the tape where to roughen the paint. I also used the Sikaflex activator but I think meths would be almost as good to clean both the roof and feet.

I then used 3mm tile spacers to create the gap for the Sikaflex adhesive.

I used small stainless steel self tappers for extra security and they do ensure nothing moves while the adhesive is setting.
good idea with the tile spacers, I understand about the screws holding things in place just think the less holes I drill the better.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
I've yet to fit a Snipe (on wish list) but did install solar and reversing cam at the same time.

This multiple entry gland was a good buy, room for solar, satellite and camera cables (y)

I also used Sika 252 and tile spacers, it's worked well.

Broken Link Removed

IMG_1506.JPG

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I've yet to fit a Snipe (on wish list) but did install solar and reversing cam at the same time.

This multiple entry gland was a good buy, room for solar, satellite and camera cables (y)

Broken Link Removed

View attachment 97219
I was thinking of 251 as i thought this was the one for caravans and motorhomes so what made you pick the 252

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999

Broken Link Removed

View attachment 97219
That's an excellent box. Some of the ones I've seen have most of the base cut away leaving a fairly narrow strip around the base for adhesive/sealant.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
@lorger I bought it in a kit with the 205 activator.
I think they're all suitable tbh, even sika ebt from Screwfix would do the job.
My panel's a quite large 140w and it's certainly stuck down well.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
That's an excellent box. Some of the ones I've seen have most of the base cut away leaving a fairly narrow strip around the base for adhesive/sealant.
Yes, it makes for a very tidy install.
It fits through the roof perfectly although I did slightly tear the wallboard while fitting :cry:IMG_1505.JPG

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I've got one of these:
Broken Link Removed
That should work just as well? Good tip about the washers.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Alden supply Sikaflex and Sika Akitvator with the dish fitting kit, complete with disposable gloves ... and even if you felt the need, there is no facility on the base to use screws..

DSCF2360.JPG

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Yes, it makes for a very tidy install.
It fits through the roof perfectly although I did slightly tear the wallboard while fitting :cry:View attachment 97221
I know it sounds wrong but I always use the holesaw from the inside. The worst that can happen then is that it raises a lip if it's an aluminium outer skin & that's easily trimmed. I like your box even more now - it's like the ones I've done in the past using a plumbing fitting & a waterproof box. The ones I've seen supplied with solar kits are as I described in my last post and simply glue to the roof over a pre-drilled hole.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I've got one of these:
Broken Link Removed
That should work just as well? Good tip about the washers.
I don't like that type - if any water gets into the box it can enter the roof too easily. The one moho has used has a complete base to the box and is held onto the roof by the plastic nut inside. My van had one like yours & I needed to install extra panel wiring. When I got it off the roof it was wet underneath - which might actually say more about the original installer than the box or sealant used :).

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
Gland boxes are often fitted over holes larger then really needed for the cable size that is passed through this allows warm air from inside the vehicle to travel up through the hole contact the cold casing of the gland box and condensation forms , to avoid this I ether drill holes just large enough to pass the cable through or if using a larger hole somebody else has drilled pack out the hole with insulation.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
I don't like that type - if any water gets into the box it can enter the roof too easily. The one moho has used has a complete base to the box and is held onto the roof by the plastic nut inside. My van had one like yours & I needed to install extra panel wiring. When I got it off the roof it was wet underneath - which might actually say more about the original installer than the box or sealant used :).
Agreed about your choice, the one Moho used is much better for sealing and maintaining IP
Did look on the site. However there was no confirmation of the box IP rating, looks IP65 but would be interested to know

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back