Hymer/Reich Tandem submersible pump (1 Viewer)

Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
Hi all!
I drained down the water system in December and today partly refilled the fresh water tank to flush through and test the system for the season.
In addition to water coming out of the taps (and at reduced pressure for the kitchen tap), water is also coming out of the ventilation hole (I think this is what it is?) on the top of the pump.
Has anyone experienced this please?
I can only think that either:
a) I've somehow acquired a partial blockage in the pipes over the winter and the water pressure is causing a sort of blowback through the pump (not easy to test or locate I don't think?), or
b) the pump is faulty.

Any help/advice would be appreciated,
John

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Hi there we are in Spain at present in our Hymer Exsis we have the same problem I took out pump to see if I could sort it out but they are sealed it had started to work intermittently and has now completely packed up have been in touch with dealers who have ordered a new pump.they are around £40 to buy.

OP
OP
johnandi
Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
Hi there we are in Spain at present in our Hymer Exsis we have the same problem I took out pump to see if I could sort it out but they are sealed it had started to work intermittently and has now completely packed up have been in touch with dealers who have ordered a new pump.they are around £40 to buy.

Thanks Alan, I'm suspecting - and almost hoping as it's more accessible - it's the pump but exploring other possible avenues before I commit to buy.
Enjoy your time in Spain and the weather of course!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Thanks we are going to wing it without a pump until we return to UK just have to carry a
few bottles of water.

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
One of the 'problems' I encountered after refilling with water after a winter drain-down and created a low flow situation, was my failure to reset the 'Auto Drain Valve' on the boiler.

OP
OP
johnandi
Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
One of the 'problems' I encountered after refilling with water after a winter drain-down and created a low flow situation, was my failure to reset the 'Auto Drain Valve' on the boiler.

Yes, thanks. I thought I'd sorted it when I noticed the boiler trip valve was open. However, closing it hasn't unfortunately fixed the problem.
The pump actually pumps water well when disconnected from the system - but then again, in this situation it's not under any external pressure.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Yes, thanks. I thought I'd sorted it when I noticed the boiler trip valve was open. However, closing it hasn't unfortunately fixed the problem.
The pump actually pumps water well when disconnected from the system - but then again, in this situation it's not under any external pressure.
Mine did the same when out of the system

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
No expert on this but have the same pump in ours and bought a new one for spare and you can get one without a anti return valve or one with one, if you have the one with the anti return valve , has it stuck and letting your pressure escape, only guessing (y)

OP
OP
johnandi
Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
No expert on this but have the same pump in ours and bought a new one for spare and you can get one without a anti return valve or one with one, if you have the one with the anti return valve , has it stuck and letting your pressure escape, only guessing (y)
Hi. I'm not sure to be honest but suspect it's not an anti-return valve problem as it pumps well when disconnected from system - but, will take it out and investigate further tomorrow.
Thanks

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Thanks but I think my pump has somehow got something in it which is stopping the vanes turning as it worked intermitantly for a while before packing up all together

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
The Reich tandem pump fitted to Hymers has two separate pump barrels inside - hence the name. They are designed so that if one pump unit fails, the other will continue to work but the pump will deliver reduced pressure. Perhaps one barrel suffered frost damage? I try to remember to shake my pump after draining down for winter to get water out.
Alternatively, perhaps it has stuck; might be worth tapping it gently and trying again. One other thought; try switching over the cable connectors on the terminal block that supplies the pump.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
The Reich tandem pump fitted to Hymers has two separate pump barrels inside - hence the name. They are designed so that if one pump unit fails, the other will continue to work but the pump will deliver reduced pressure. Perhaps one barrel suffered frost damage? I try to remember to shake my pump after draining down for winter to get water out.
Alternatively, perhaps it has stuck; might be worth tapping it gently and trying again. One other thought; try switching over the cable connectors on the terminal block that supplies the pump.
Thanks @JeanLuc ill try that but fear the pump is up the creak.

OP
OP
johnandi
Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
Hi JeanLuc, thanks for your advice. I've tried your suggestions this morning including removing and tapping (with a moderately sized hammer!) the sides of the pump but all to no avail.
Water spouts out of the 2 vent holes whilst in operation and the pump just doesn't sound normal.
The supply is reversed (brown to blue, etc) but from reading other blogs this is apparently quite normal.
So, think I'll take the plunge (pun intended!) and opt for a new pump.
Not sure whether the current one has a none-return valve fitted, suspect it has as water runs back into the tank when I disconnect its outlet pipe. Any other way of determining whether it has a valve and does it make a difference anyway when buying a new one?

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
@johnandi Thanks for the feedback, I was going to as you have but after your trial I don't think I'll bother as it was sounding cranky last time it worked and wait for a new one when we get back.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
:drinks:@scotjimland Thanks for that but the van is still under warranty so Hymer are going to sort it for me.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back