Low Disk Space - 2 computers @ same time (1 Viewer)

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
Have two laptops - within same day - the C drive has gone from 1/3 free space to almost full.

Laptop 1 - XP Professional no Windows updates.
Laptop 2 - XP Home has Windows updates.

Both have Avast Antivirus - update automatically

Both being used mainly for Word documents and on Laptop 2 Internet.

Done disk clean, CHKDSK, temporary files and all that stuff. On both ran Tune Up and everything in order program and registry wise.

'Extra' seems to reside in Documents and Settings.

Could it be the Avast Antivirus and should I remove and re-install?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
icon_smile.gif

Keith</SPAN>

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Have a look in Windows Explorer to see what files were added on the date when the drives were almost filled up. That should give a clue as to which program did it.

Graham

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I think you will find that once the drive space gets low windows panics and reserves the rest as working space/swapfile. Speed is significantly reduced once the drive is half full.

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
System restore will be taking up quite a lot of space dissable system restore reboot the re-enable.

Regards

ps download treesize this will show you what's on your drives

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
superk

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
Problems solved :roflmto:

On one computer Tune Up found 1.5GB of Windows Update backups - that helped a lot. There were a lot of TMP files from Word docs.

On the little ASUS I had to use Tune Up like Windows Explorer after exposing hidden files and folders then drill down through the drive and folders to find where the biggies lay.

The Route:
C:\
Docs&Settings
Me as Operator
Apps Data
Microsoft
Word
and despite Word being loaded on the D:\ drive there lay four large TMP Word documents that corresponded with the date and time when Crash Closures of a big document my wife was working on occured.

In doing this noticed big space occupied by 'Page File' ? Assume shouldn't be touched.

Have a look in Windows Explorer to see what files were added on the date when the drives were almost filled up. That should give a clue as to which program did it.
Graham

Thanks Graham - Tune Up enables you to do this and more.

Check this out:

Link Removed

Very useful site - showed me how to uncover hidden files and folders.

have you run disk clean recently and defraged the drive?this will release space also heres a nice freebie prog to keep comp clean:
CCleaner - Home

Tune Up automatically does this I use it everyday.

System restore will be taking up quite a lot of space dissable system restore reboot the re-enable.
Regards
ps download treesize this will show you what's on your drives

Again Tune Up will clear this and I don't run it on the ASUS for the reason you say.

Beginning to sound like an advert now - you can try it for 30 days for free http://www.tuneup-software.co.uk/products/tuneup-utilities/

Many thanks again to everyone.

From a very relieved :winky:

Keith

Last edited:

Andy 01424

Free Member
Aug 10, 2009
Hastings East Sussex
Funster No
MH
RV soon!
Exp
0 but lived in static for 2yrs
Problems solved :roflmto:

On one computer Tune Up found 1.5GB of Windows Update backups - that helped a lot. There were a lot of TMP files from Word docs.

On the little ASUS I had to use Tune Up like Windows Explorer after exposing hidden files and folders then drill down through the drive and folders to find where the biggies lay.

The Route:
C:\
Docs&Settings
Me as Operator
Apps Data
Microsoft
Word
and despite Word being loaded on the D:\ drive there lay four large TMP Word documents that corresponded with the date and time when Crash Closures of a big document my wife was working on occured.

In doing this noticed big space occupied by 'Page File' ? Assume shouldn't be touched.

Thanks Graham - Tune Up enables you to do this and more.

Very useful site - showed me how to uncover hidden files and folders.

Tune Up automatically does this I use it everyday.

Again Tune Up will clear this and I don't run it on the ASUS for the reason you say.

Beginning to sound like an advert now - you can try it for 30 days for free TuneUp United Kingdom - TuneUp Utilities 2009

Many thanks again to everyone.

From a very relieved :winky:

Keith

cheat download and use 2004 first then use each new one after every 30 days the 2010 version has been released for download as well so 7 months free use lol,i use both depends what mood i am in lol Tuneup/CC Cleaner

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back