SAGA £50 to cancel a policy - wont be getting my MH insurance business (1 Viewer)

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
We recently sold my tow car ready for the new M/H arriving in May so I cancelled the insurance. Just got a letter saying I Owe them £50 cancellation fee. What a total rip off, the agent I spoke to said although the original amount was less when I first took the policy out it is clearly stated in the renewal notice.

So when looking for my M/H insurance SAGA wont be getting a chance to quote, total shysters.

OP
OP
MichaelT

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
Almost every insurance will charge for cancelation........... choose your victim ;)
But £50 I understand there is some admin work involved but 2 minutes on the phone, ticking a box on the screen and saying is htere anything else I can help you with!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Tell them to whistle :whistle:. Phone them and tell them they are taking the pi$$. Ask for a supervisor and point out that you will post your feelings on every forum going. They may well rescind their outrageous fee. :mad:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
My guess it is normally wrapped up (hidden / lost) in any refund given, presuming the premium has been paid for the full year in advance, if the year was only part way through you would expect a refund, or at least enough to cover the cancellation fee

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I had same argument with Saga a couple of years ago.

I changed my car this year just 3 weeks before insurance renewal was due with Esure. I was happy to stay with them but they tried to charge me £26 cancellation fee. I pointed out that I'd paid for the year on the old car, just let it run its course & I'll pay new cars insurance. No, still wanted £26 to cancel as I wouldn't own old car for the next 3 weeks. Said I'd walk and the cancellation fee disappeared. Next day I received 4 envelopes with different insurance documents in each, 2 for each car. The following day 5 envelopes arrived, again various documents, different cars , different dates.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Its standard that a charge is made when you cancel and it varies from one company to another.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Re.Saga Insurance they want to charge me an extra ten quid for the priveliege of renewing my insurance with them,I think not :LOL:

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
This morning I received two envelopes from saga both offering house insurance which is due next month one quote £207 the other £238
They are also bombarding me with offers of motorhome insurance even though I have told the not to send me any more letters.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Well, when I sold my van last week and recommended Safeguard to the new owner, I rang them to cancel the insurance (less than a month remaining) and they waived the £25.00 cancellation fee as a thank you (y)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
@MichaelT The harsh truth is that when you took on the insurance you entered into a contract, and that included any cancellation fees.....

OP
OP
MichaelT

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
@MichaelT The harsh truth is that when you took on the insurance you entered into a contract, and that included any cancellation fees.....
Yes I agree but the amount of £50 is outrageous and as the agent said when I took out the policy it was much less but it is stated in each renewal which of course no one reads, something like £25 would be more palatable.

Diesel

Free Member
Oct 7, 2015
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
im a newbie
@MichaelT - Am I understanding correctly - you paid premium in full for 12 moths over and they are charging £50 to cancel early?

OP
OP
MichaelT

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
I paid quarterly installments so had paid 9 months and cancelled just before the 9 months were up so in effect was paid up to date, in fact they owed me a few pounds. I guess if I had paid in full they would have refunded 3 months less the £50.

Diesel

Free Member
Oct 7, 2015
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
im a newbie
I paid quarterly installments so had paid 9 months and cancelled just before the 9 months were up so in effect was paid up to date, in fact they owed me a few pounds. I guess if I had paid in full they would have refunded 3 months less the £50.

Ah right I understand ......pretty much standard practice and reasonable really IMO - I worked in a brokers many years ago - back in the day of handwritten cover notes ;) Regardless of what instalment agreement you set up with a broker the insurer charges the broker the full premium less any broker commission, cancellation is then on a sliding short period rates - most insurers would issue refund on a similar scales :

11 months remaining - 70pc refund

tapering to zero refund with 4 or fewer months remaining.

A pro-rata refund would usually be given if an insurer could not or chose not to cover a car you purchased.

OP
OP
MichaelT

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
Ah right I understand ......pretty much standard practice and reasonable really IMO - I worked in a brokers many years ago - back in the day of handwritten cover notes ;) Regardless of what instalment agreement you set up with a broker the insurer charges the broker the full premium less any broker commission, cancellation is then on a sliding short period rates - most insurers would issue refund on a similar scales :

11 months remaining - 70pc refund

tapering to zero refund with 4 or fewer months remaining.

A pro-rata refund would usually be given if an insurer could not or chose not to cover a car you purchased.
I was not with a broker but direct with them so I don't see your argument.

Diesel

Free Member
Oct 7, 2015
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
im a newbie
I was not with a broker but direct with them so I don't see your argument.

Im not arguing :)

Are Saga not a broker?

Even if Saga underwritten the policy (which they may) the admin cost is spread across 365 days if you are cancelling early then you still need to pay for 3 months worth of initial admin cost for that insurance and extra admin cost for the processing.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Re.Saga Insurance they want to charge me an extra ten quid for the priveliege of renewing my insurance with them,I think not :LOL:
Me too. Outrageous. I for one will never insure with them again till the day I die for this underhand sly trickery. They think that older people are easy touches. I have mentioned it before on here but am I the only one who has noticed that they make their envelopes look like the crap they are sending you has come from the NHS so that you don't instantly bin them?

Dee 123

Free Member
Jul 6, 2014
Funster No
We recently sold my tow car ready for the new M/H arriving in May so I cancelled the insurance. Just got a letter saying I Owe them £50 cancellation fee. What a total rip off, the agent I spoke to said although the original amount was less when I first took the policy out it is clearly stated in the renewal notice.

So when looking for my M/H insurance SAGA wont be getting a chance to quote, total shysters.

Saga always sends me annual letters asking me to contact them for a quote. Every time I contacted them for a quote was told that they cannot because my motorhome was imported. Very odd seeing I bought it new from a uk dealer.

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08

When I cancelled my m/h insurance they wanted paying £75
Said I won't be paying

The lady on the phone said it will cancel anyway when it changed ownership

Little while later I got a letter saying it was cancelled
Can't remember the ins company

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
off track a bit, had a saga house renewal through the post. never ever made a claim they wanted to put the price up £50.00 told the wife to get a quote from NFU they offered a insurance quote a lot less, phoned back SAGA who then wanted to drop the price, told them i would not renew and were going with NFU at a lot less price they then reduced the price to match NFU I said its to late they should not have tried it to increase the price in the first place and we would have stayed with them, NFU want to give me a quote for my MH when its due, that will be interesting

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08

As I understand it when I cancelled insurance on my previous camper
(Shield) they asked £35.00 I said leave it on risk then
The young lady said when the name in the log book changes
That will cancel the insurance,
I received a letter a few weeks later saying it was cancelled

I have the same thing to do tommorow car skoda replacement
New car insurance Hyundai wanted £845,00
NFU was £345,00 stopped NCb from Mrs t to me ( I've not insured a car for over 20 years) always been named driver or camper van without Ncb acrueing

Ps re my previous post about 3 posts up I put the wrong price in it was £35,00 not £75,00

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
They all charge something for changes, the only time we've not been charged is when our insurance was coming up to renewal so it was waived although they didn't insist we had to renew it with them but obviously hoped we would (we didn't).

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Can't remember the exact 'chapter and verse', but if you let the insurance run after you've sold the vehicle, there is a set of circumstances where you can be left holding the insurance document if the vehicle is subsequently involved in an accident/claim!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back