Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Hi
New to the site, we are newly retired and currently caravaners and enjoy the freedom..
This year we have been as far as South Dordogne and intend to spend more time in France.
The question is we have started looking at motorhomes (is this wise -or are you all somewhat biased?)
Our current favourite choice is an Autotrail 696G 2004 with 2.8jtd engine and 14,000 miles on the clock.
Is this a good choice ( we do like the idea of fixed bed and garage) and can you give an honest opinion as to the advantage of MHing instead of caravaning

Cheers Lynda and Alan

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Lynda and Alan, There are disadvantages of owning a motorhome over a caravan but these are far outweighed by the advantages. The big thing is that motorhomes tend to get used more. They might cost thrice the cost of a caravan but you will use them 5 times more:Smile:

Thanks for registering, welcome to the fun:thumb:

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
can you give an honest opinion as to the advantage of MHing instead of caravaning

Hi
Firstly welcome to fun from one newcomer to another :Smile:

As someone who doesn't own a motorhome YET perhaps my opinion will be unbiased.

I have considered both and both have their advantages. Towing a caravan means you can leave it somewhere and still have a reasonable sized vehicle to drive around in...... but that is also a disadvantage as you more or less HAVE to leave it somewhere if you want to drive around town etc.

With a motorhome you have to take it everywhere with you ( unless you tow a car ) but at least it is more manageable than a caravan in confined spaces and you dont have to go back for it afterwards.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
The big thing is that motorhomes tend to get used more.
Errrmmm.........very few Jim!

Lanesides post shows exactly that. They are looking at a vehicle which has done just 2,800 miles a year which means it hasn't been used regularly. Whats it been doing the rest of the year? Sitting on a drive? My campervan has just done double that amount in the space of just five weeks on holiday and the rest of the year averages a minimum of 250 miles a week (13000 a year).

People seem to forget the difference between motorhomes and caravans. A motorhome is a vehicle which has an engine and gearbox and all the normal running gear of any car. Leaving it standing for any length of time does it no good at all.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi Linda and Alan:welcome: To MH Fun

As you can see I have done both Caravan 12yrs Motorhome 18yrs and I would chose motorhome. It's nice to have everything with you all the time my wife who is disabled agrees. You don't have to keep going back you just keep going and only stay extra days if something takes your eye. Parking can be a problem in big towns sometimes but supermarkets and park and ride take care of this most times.

Hope you join us

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi
Sorry about that couldn't resist, we have neither at the moment but will be buying a motorhome.
The one thing that stood out for us when we hired one was;

no1 nearly all other motorhomers waved at us and you have no idea how good that felt, and we did try waving at caravaners but got no response, so be prepared for the friendly wave, fantastic.:thumb:

No2 Nice and easy to wild camp, I know this is not everyones cup of tea but for us it was what motorhoming is all about, freedom.:thumb:

No3 It really does depend on how you use it, if for instance you go to a site park up and stay for a week or two then I think a caravan is brilliant but if you like to move around a lot then I think motorhomes are the best.:thumb:

No4 The other thing that is quite often forgotten is there are no speed restrictions on your average motorhome, I know not everyone wants to hurtle around at breakneck speed but it is nice to keep up with the traffic.:thumb:

No5 I can see over hedges and so see much more of the countryside.:thumb:

I'm sure there are loads more but my fingers are sore.:ROFLMAO:

Tim

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Having owned both caravans and motorhomes here is my assessment..

Caravan....

Pros.
Ideal for long term site stays ..
Use of car while on site
Cheaper to buy
No tax or MOT

Cons

Setting up on site, takes longer.
Towing, possibly higher fuel consumption, depends on van/car combination.
Not so good for touring
Not so easily parked
Higher depreciation
Can't use French Aires
Not suitable or advisable to Wild camp
Higher tolls on Autoroutes
Higher ferry fares

Motorhome

Pros

Ideal for touring.
Arrive on site, no fuss, put kettle on
Can park virtually anywhere, but depends on size
Can overnight just about anywhere provided there is no parking restrictions or camping bans.
Can use French Aires
Lower depreciation
Easier to drive.

Cons

Increased ownership costs:
*Tax
*Mot
*Insurance
*Servicing

No day trip vehicle unless you have a toad.
More expensive to buy

Summing up .. In General:

If you plan two or three week breaks on the same location a caravan is more suitable, cheaper to buy and maintain but if you plan to tour and explore a motorhome wins hands down.

Caravans are popular with growing families, they can trade up and down as the family grows and shrinks while motorhomes are generally more popular with couples.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Motorhome

Pros

Ideal for touring.
Arrive on site, no fuss, put kettle on
Can park virtually anywhere, but depends on size
Can overnight just about anywhere provided there is no parking restrictions or camping bans.
Can use French Aires
Lower depreciation
Easier to drive.

Cons

Increased ownership costs:
*Tax
*Mot
*Insurance
*Servicing
The 'cons' you are using as comparison Jim are not necessarily correct. Are you comparing what it costs you to put your RV on the road?

My campervan costs the same to tax as what my car did, i pay the same for an MOT and my insurance is actually less than what i used to pay on my car.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
The 'cons' you are using as comparison Jim are not necessarily correct. Are you comparing what it costs you to put your RV on the road?

Hi

no, I was comparing the cost of a caravan to a motorhome..

I'm assuming most motorhome owners have a second car for everyday use.. however, if they use a small motorhome as their sole means of transport the equation changes..

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
can you give an honest opinion as to the advantage of MHing instead of caravaning
Cheers Lynda and Alan

We've never had a caravan - hated them though, just like anyone who sees them as a chicane - this may have influenced us.

We are 2 years into MHing.

It seems to me a caravan is hard to set up on site so you want to stay there a long time and you get a free car thrown in.

A MH is just park and cook. But if you want to go to the shops you have to drag your home with you. Or tow a vehicle and then you are close to caravanning.

A 2004 JTD is just run in at 14K BUT may need a cambelt on age. Really good chassis.

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi Lynda and Alan

Just a thought that maybe you should try the same question on a Caravan Forum::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Twould be very interesting:RollEyes:

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Very nice choice of van by the way, very spacious, will be looking at something very simular ourselves:thumb:

Aug 21, 2008
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
hi, and welcome to the fun, :welcome:we can only agree with what most others have said, but we made the change from a large caravan to the autotrail cheyenne 696 G. and have never regretted it for one minute. we were in a position where we were able to keep the caravan for a while, to sort out which we thought was the better.........and never went out in the caravan again. alan & julia

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
hi, and welcome to the fun, :welcome:we can only agree with what most others have said, but we made the change from a large caravan to the autotrail cheyenne 696 G. and have never regretted it for one minute. we were in a position where we were able to keep the caravan for a while, to sort out which we thought was the better.........and never went out in the caravan again. alan & julia

Hi Alan & Julia

So what do you think was the biggest difference between the two??

Tim

Aug 21, 2008
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
hi, in answer to your question, the main difference was the french aires, (it is possible to go on some with a caravan, but mostly caravans are not welcome). it is possible to find free parking on some of the best positions, ie:free parking on the sea front at Great Yarmouth, where once parked, you have all facilities with you, ie:the toilet, the freezer, the cooker, chairs for outside, etc. this means that once parked there`s no need to walk miles to look for a cafe, or toilets etc. caravans are great if you want to park somewhere and not move on, motorhomes are great for the freedom of just up & go! caravans are great if you know where you want to go....but these days you need to book in advance, with motorhomes you can just turn up, and maybe you can get on site, but it doesn't really matter, because home is where you park it! ::bigsmile:alan & julia

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back