There Are Too Many Wretched Motorhomes... (1 Viewer)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Why don't more people go to hotels or rent holiday cottages or stay at home, instead of buying motorhomes and swarming around nice places in vast numbers?

If they keep churning out these things, it will end up with nowhere left to park!

I say...

"Ban all motorhomes built after 1992 (Max is 1991?) and shut down any factories making new ones... now."

(The Hymer factory can stay open until after I have done the tour... possibly later this year.)

Please stop saying how wonderful motor homing is on sites like Motor Home Fun. It just encourages more people to buy one.

Oh... and please note... Portugal is an awful, awful place... the weather is little better than Scotland... the roads are so rough they ruin any vehicle using them... the locals are really, really horrid and unhelpful... and everything is really expensive.

Stopping your campervan anywhere off an offical government site in Portugal and you will get moved on (always at 5am) after being fined (cash only) a minimum of €150.

The police all have guns.

JJ :cool:

Last edited:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Why don't more people go to hotels or rent holiday cottages or stay at home, instead of buying motorhomes and swarming around nice places in vast numbers?

If they keep churning out these things, it will end up with nowhere left to park!

I say...

"Ban all motorhomes built after 1993 (Max is 1993) and shut down any factories making new ones... now."

(The Hymer factory can stay open until after I have done the tour... possibly later this year.)

Please stop saying how wonderful motor homing is on sites like Motor Home Fun. It just encourages more people to buy one.

Oh... and please note... Portugal is an awful, awful place... the weather is little better than Scotland... the roads are so rough they ruin any vehicle using them... the locals are really, really horrid and unhelpful... and everything is really expensive.

Stopping your campervan anywhere off an offical government site in Portugal and you will get moved on (always at 5am) after being fined (cash only) a minimum of €150.

Hi JJ

You are certainly right about the roads:LOL:

We didn't see too many vans as we stayed away from the coast.

Martin

P.S France is as cheap as chips, ASDA price.

Not

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!

I say...

"Ban all motorhomes built after 1993 (Max is 1993) and shut down any factories making new ones... now."

I agree with you about the Portuguese, really quite a miserable rude lot, and quite xenophobic considering the UK taxpayer amongst others has been propping up their shitty economy for the last 40 odd years (hopefully not much longer(y)). Still their country is nice apart from some of the roads, I guess all the EU money for those is now in some politicians pockets.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Max is 1993

I beg your pardon Sir...Max is a tad older than that.... I can't talk any louder he'll get upset if he hears anything being negative and as you know he is due to MOT early May .... crossing my fingers ! Mind you it will be one less motorhome on the Portuguese roads:whistle: Oh and by the way get ready for a Skype call from Little Princess Rosie... INTERNET BACK !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I agree with you about the Portuguese, really quite a miserable rude lot, and quite xenophobic considering the UK taxpayer amongst others has been propping up their shitty economy for the last 40 odd years (hopefully not much longer(y)). Still their country is nice apart from some of the roads, I guess all the EU money for those is now in some politicians pockets.

I suspect my humour might be misunderstood by some... :rofl:

Anyone who thinks the Portuguese are miserable rude people should definitely keep away from Portugal.

I was wondering... when these Portuguese were being miserable, rude and xenophobic were they being so in English or in Portuguese?

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I beg your pardon Sir...Max is a tad older than that.... I can't talk any louder he'll get upset if he hears anything being negative and as you know he is due to MOT early May .... crossing my fingers ! Mind you it will be one less motorhome on the Portuguese roads:whistle: Oh and by the way get ready for a Skype call from Little Princess Rosie... INTERNET BACK !

OP has been edited my Princess...

Sorry.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
I suspect my humour might be misunderstood by some... :rofl:

Anyone who thinks the Portuguese are miserable rude people should definitely keep away from Portugal.

I was wondering... when these Portuguese were being miserable, rude and xenophobic were they being so in English or in Portuguese?

Let me introduce you to Google translate, galaxy note 4 ;) and an NOS Livre card!

Reactions: JJ
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Never mind JJ, we will be adding to the hoards after Easter. Cannot wait to meet some more "really quite a miserable rude lot, and quite xenophobic" Portuguese peeps.
Don't worry there are plenty to go around (y)

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
I have an example,about just how rude the Portugues are. The "Offenders" have just left,mother and son aprox 19.05 hrs. i had just finished my evening meal,when in came these two,(The keys are always outside of the door in the lock,until Last Walkies,they had knocked,but me DEAFY,and first wife TV) it appears i had forgotten to sign an important document this morning at the ladies office,on checking through tonight,she sees my mistake,and "Calls in" on the way home,to save me going back tomorrow. This is NOT the first time we have been "Offended" One of the ladies at the Bank,is very helpfull when we get bills/letters we do not understand,one was a bill from a hospital visit, due to a misunderstanding,we had not been charged for the visit,so it was a puker bill. On enquiring where was the best place to pay it localy,the lady said. "It is best to pay it at the hospital,i go past on the way home,leave the bill with me,and i can pay it in on the way home.
Lastly,coming home early one new years day (02.00hrs hic) the garage in the centre of town,Tabua,was all lit up,open for all to see,with the attendant on duty,later that......week? i mentioned this to Marilia next door,her reply,"People have to get home when they have been out you know"
So,you could add,"Pushy,over helpfull,to rude as well" Their only saving grace is,they will never let you leave....RESULT LOL

DON'T COME Portugal is FULL!!
Tea Bag

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Hi.
I have an example,about just how rude the Portugues are. The "Offenders" have just left,mother and son aprox 19.05 hrs. i had just finished my evening meal,when in came these two,(The keys are always outside of the door in the lock,until Last Walkies,they had knocked,but me DEAFY,and first wife TV) it appears i had forgotten to sign an important document this morning at the ladies office,on checking through tonight,she sees my mistake,and "Calls in" on the way home,to save me going back tomorrow. This is NOT the first time we have been "Offended" One of the ladies at the Bank,is very helpfull when we get bills/letters we do not understand,one was a bill from a hospital visit, due to a misunderstanding,we had not been charged for the visit,so it was a puker bill. On enquiring where was the best place to pay it localy,the lady said. "It is best to pay it at the hospital,i go past on the way home,leave the bill with me,and i can pay it in on the way home.
Lastly,coming home early one new years day (02.00hrs hic) the garage in the centre of town,Tabua,was all lit up,open for all to see,with the attendant on duty,later that......week? i mentioned this to Marilia next door,her reply,"People have to get home when they have been out you know"
So,you could add,"Pushy,over helpfull,to rude as well" Their only saving grace is,they will never let you leave....RESULT LOL

DON'T COME Portugal is FULL!!
Tea Bag
Blimey, surprised any Portugese could find their way to the garage in their cars since they would be so pissed! Good job it wasn't a Sunday afternoon then, when even more drivers are pissed ;):beerchug:

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I went off today (with the Big Boss Of Benidorm and his Moll) to try to find a Meo shop here in Armacão de Pera so he could get his own internet connection for his dodgy deals.

I approached a shop keeper who was in the doorway of her craft shop, chatting to a lady...

The shop keeper cut off her conversation and asked if she could help me.

In my best Portuguese, I explained we were looking for a Meo Shop. Was there one in this town?

She looked at the lady, and they thought about it for a moment, and then the lady said she knew where there was one.

Rather than give us directions to it (because the Portuguese are so rude and unhelpful), she led us there herself. She didn't seem that miserable to me but then, what would I know!

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

I say...

"Ban all motorhomes built after 1992 (Max is 1991?) and shut down any factories making new ones... now."
Nar you got that wrong, need to ban all Motorhomes over 3 years old, then the boss couldn't object to buying a new one every 3 years.
Agree weather is terrible fed up with having to put sun tan lotion on every day during Feb & March.

Roads are so bad have to keep using the trains with there measly 50% discount for over 65's.

As for the cost of food had to pay €7 for a four course meal including glass of wine & coffee.
Sunday Lunch was outrageous €8.50 each for bread & olives, main course was 2 x sea bream with chips and huge salad, delicious desert, 1 Lt of wine and coffee, fed up with being ripped off.
Stopping your campervan anywhere off an official government site in Portugal and you will get moved on (always at 5am) after being fined (cash only) a minimum of €150.
Must have had a lucky escape, thought we were on an Aire next morning found out we were in a very smart car park next the beach with 30 other Motorhomes.
Wouldn't be so bad if they looked like they could use them.

:D:D:D

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
I went off today (with the Big Boss Of Benidorm and his Moll) to try to find a Meo shop here in Armacão de Pera so he could get his own internet connection for his dodgy deals.

I approached a shop keeper who was in the doorway of her craft shop, chatting to a lady...

The shop keeper cut off her conversation and asked if she could help me.

In my best Portuguese, I explained we were looking for a Meo Shop. Was there one in this town?

She looked at the lady, and they thought about it for a moment, and then the lady said she knew where there was one.

Rather than give us directions to it (because the Portuguese are so rude and unhelpful), she led us there herself. She didn't seem that miserable to me but then, what would I know!

Try that here https://goo.gl/maps/NnGNWrFFUwx but I will save you the trouble, there will be lots of diddy people scurrying about muttering about foreigners, shutting shutters and going into full lockdown, as if you just landed from Mars.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Blimey, surprised any Portugese could find their way to the garage in their cars since they would be so pissed! Good job it wasn't a Sunday afternoon then, when even more drivers are pissed ;):beerchug:

Hi campa cola.
As DBK is aware,i am "main lining" on Conde Noble vinho tinto,this condition was brought about,by trying to drive sober when we arrived,trying to miss the odd car every other day, driven by Social drinkers...who dared to venture out. Eureka moment,if you cannot beat them,join them.
Being as there are very few cars about to start with,some going..."Off roading ?" and those that expire along the roadside,can i send you an application form for the. "Conde Noble vinho Tinto Formation driving team ?" This means,you get a free App. with up to date choreographed sequences on all routes north of Lisbon,plus percentages of alchol needed to achieve "Highest Slalom " awards,a much coverted trophy

For anyone else,who is venturing into Portugal this year for the first time,years ago,the Post office,had little Morris ?vans,with "Rubber LOL" front mud guards. GET SOME!,also,it is an offence,to park within a marked bay,it is a Fail on their driving test,if they cannot park a Kia Picanto and fill three bays.

If you are,PC,Health and Safety,or a Jobsworth........... This is NOT the country you want to be in.
Tea Bag

Reactions: JJ
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Hi campa cola.
As DBK is aware,i am "main lining" on Conde Noble vinho tinto,this condition was brought about,by trying to drive sober when we arrived,trying to miss the odd car every other day, driven by Social drinkers...who dared to venture out. Eureka moment,if you cannot beat them,join them.
Being as there are very few cars about to start with,some going..."Off roading ?" and those that expire along the roadside,can i send you an application form for the. "Conde Noble vinho Tinto Formation driving team ?" This means,you get a free App. with up to date choreographed sequences on all routes north of Lisbon,plus percentages of alchol needed to achieve "Highest Slalom " awards,a much coverted trophy

For anyone else,who is venturing into Portugal this year for the first time,years ago,the Post office,had little Morris ?vans,with "Rubber LOL" front mud guards. GET SOME!,also,it is an offence,to park within a marked bay,it is a Fail on their driving test,if they cannot park a Kia Picanto and fill three bays.

If you are,PC,Health and Safety,or a Jobsworth........... This is NOT the country you want to be in.
Tea Bag
Well thanks for the info teabag. And there was me thinking they got their licences out of a cornflakes packet (y) Still I think it only fair to warn the poor unsuspecting Portugal virgins, they will be regularly encountering drunk drivers especially at weekends. I had an entertaining drive down to Figueria on a Saturday night when many of the cars appeared to be driving themselves home o_O Probably the most regular everyday sixpence to half a crown moment (that's old money for you youngsters) will be when a drunk (or rarely a sober) Portuguese driver finally manages to fumble into reverse gear, and shoots out onto a main road backwards irrespective of what's on it....enjoy (y)

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back