Free Member
Oct 17, 2014
No fixed abode.
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail Cheyenne 840D
Exp
Since 2009
Forgive me for swearing in this post as I remember another funster doing just that about his EC328 last year and I thought "how boring is that".

Well,,, went to switch mine off couple of hours ago and the illuminating switch wouldn't operate without making a hissing sound. Hmmm I thought, that's not good, it must be faulty, so I emailed Sargent requesting a new switch and was promptly told, take the whole unit out of the bus and send it to us and will fit you a new switch, and check the unit out at the same time and we will charge you £70 quid for the privalage. All I want is a bloody switch.!!!! :mad:

Am off to Spain on the 3rd next month so taking it out, sending it to them, and having them fit a switch is out of the question. In my next pleading email to them, I explained my predicament, but still no go. "Its company policy they said, we do not supply internal parts for others to fit".!!!!

What do you reckon is on the outside of the plastic switch casing,,, "the manufacturer and part number". "O BLISSSSSSSS". Wonderful thing, "The Internet".! And all for £3.07. Free nextday delivery. So I bought 3 just for luck and still have change for the odd Sangria. :party3:

Cheers.

Mike
SunsetsUnlimited. :coolest:

OP
OP
Sunsets Unlimited.

Sunsets Unlimited.

Free Member
Oct 17, 2014
No fixed abode.
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail Cheyenne 840D
Exp
Since 2009
Hi di hi, Guys and Gals,

Continuation of the £70 switch saga requested by "Sargent".!!!

And it came to pass in the early hours of the morning, that my 3 ordered switches were delivered to me. Fitted one of the 3 in two minuets, powered the old girl up (that's the bus,,,not the wife) and Huston,,,, "We have lift off".!!! :birthday:

Any thoughts out there, on why it is, some companies try to work it up us.? :moon2::moon2:

Have a good time people.

Mike

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
any links to the switch and how it is replaced, may come in handy for when mine breaks ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
great thanks

pseward152

Free Member
Jun 9, 2014
essex
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato dethleffs
Exp
I can top that my plastic door handle snapped on my dethleff motorhome called lowdhams at Nottingham guy told me cannot buy habitation door handle need to replace whole door called premier motorhomes at Chichester great service from guy called Chris 12 pounds delivered 2 days later will never use lowdhams again

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Saw the thread title and thought you were on a 252. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Old soldiers will understand

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Any thoughts out there, on why it is, some companies try to work it up us.? :moon2::moon2:
Mike

I have a passionate dislike for Sargent even though I've never owned one, from experiences on here they seem such poor designs. I did once have hands on, on Skye, wild camper next door moaned we have to leave, heating gone off and husband cannot take cold. I looked, saw Sargent, unplugged control panel, refitted, heating worked. I refused £50 repair fee.

But selling spares that need soldering is just too risky, they would end up with endless cases of badly damaged boards with them being blamed because they sold the spares.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I am not defending their position either but Brian (as usual) is right. Imagine if they send you a switch to replace the one that was "hissing" and it turned out that the switch was reacting to a more dangerous problem, not causing it

The headline would be Sargent unit causes fire cost lives or something equally dramatic

A lot of service has been lost due to our compensation culture removing peoples personal responsibility

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
When my step control became faulty on my previous Swift E450 I took my Sargent box back, I live locally, on collection it had been completely rebuilt with all new/latest circuit boards. I found their service excellent.
Make me wonder now what sort of hassle I may experience if a similar things happens to my Hymer.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
I am not defending their position either but Brian (as usual) is right. Imagine if they send you a switch to replace the one that was "hissing" and it turned out that the switch was reacting to a more dangerous problem, not causing it

The headline would be Sargent unit causes fire cost lives or something equally dramatic

A lot of service has been lost due to our compensation culture removing peoples personal responsibility

Eddie your answer is a bit of a cop out......if someone (out of warranty or not) interferes with any workings on any electrical apparatus, they would be on there own.

Some businesses just don't want to get involved......that is fine. They could have maybe given a link to someone that could get involved.
Do you think Arrow Electronics will be worrying about compensation culture?.....i think not..........they only sold a switch....no advice .....no info nada

In my experience Sargent are very helpful and have read posts on forums and got involved. And been pro-active in their approach.......but.

Sorry but in this case i would be peeved........it is ok for the d.i.y.er to disconect all the wires and plugsto take the unit out and again plug it all back together, but can't change a switch.

Last edited:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Eddie your answer is a bit of a cop out......if someone (out of warranty or not) interferes with any workings on any electrical apparatus, they would be on there own.

Some businesses just don't want to get involved......that is fine. They could have maybe given a link to someone that could get involved.
Do you think Arrow Electronics will be worrying about compensation culture?.....i think not..........they only sold a switch....no advice .....no info nada

In my experience Sargent are very helpful and have read posts on forums and got involved. And been pro-active in their approach.......but.

Sorry but in this case i would be peeved........it is ok for the d.i.y.er to disconect all the wires and plugsto take the unit out and again plug it all back together, but can't change a switch.

As I said I wasn't defending them, so no cop out

However, there are things that we won't do as a business, normally due to being bitten on the arse in the past

OP
OP
Sunsets Unlimited.

Sunsets Unlimited.

Free Member
Oct 17, 2014
No fixed abode.
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail Cheyenne 840D
Exp
Since 2009

Hi guys and Gals,, me thinks you are all correct in one way but surely we must all retain the right to do our own thing in the way we chose with out paying through the nose. In saying that it reminds me of something very topical at the mo. ANY Ideas.??????

OP
OP
Sunsets Unlimited.

Sunsets Unlimited.

Free Member
Oct 17, 2014
No fixed abode.
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail Cheyenne 840D
Exp
Since 2009

Hi eddy,, so are you saying you won't be selling electrical components from the point of this posting just in case it fails and you end up in court.??? Am not sure your thinking is quite correct or nobody would sell any thing in case it failed. Signed. Hissing Syd. SunsetsUnlimited.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi guys and Gals,, me thinks you are all correct in one way but surely we must all retain the right to do our own thing in the way we chose with out paying through the nose.

Not so - See Part P.

I defended them, not Eddie. Do you have anti static equipment for working on the board, do you have suitable soldering, de-soldering equipment, do you have the skills ? They don't know this.

And after reading your post my inverter failed. Thank you for that. Yes it was the switch but I had a replacement in stock.

OP
OP
Sunsets Unlimited.

Sunsets Unlimited.

Free Member
Oct 17, 2014
No fixed abode.
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail Cheyenne 840D
Exp
Since 2009
Not so - See Part P.

I defended them, not Eddie. Do you have anti static equipment for working on the board, do you have suitable soldering, de-soldering equipment, do you have the skills ? They don't know this.

And after reading your post my inverter failed. Thank you for that. Yes it was the switch but I had a replacement in stock.

Christ do lighten up hilldweller. When I initially posted I thought I was doing others a favour. Now we are into electronics and all the H&S of the matter. Bought a switch from a reputable supplier and fitted it meself. Job done.!! Time for a G&T. Cheers. Mike. SunsetsUnlimited.

OP
OP
Sunsets Unlimited.

Sunsets Unlimited.

Free Member
Oct 17, 2014
No fixed abode.
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail Cheyenne 840D
Exp
Since 2009
Restriction of Privilages or Jankers to you Mike
Now he will kill me too

I was gone then see this so just had to reply.!! That's two of us. Bet he hasn't got 2 bullets to do the job. Just in case sleep with one eye open tonight. Tar for tipping me the wink. Must now go as I got a beer going cold. Mike SunsetsUnlimited. Somewhere in Portugal. Hick.!!!

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Hi Keith,, am not an old soldier so don't know what a 525/252 is. Help me please.
Mike. SunsetsUnlimited.

A 252 is a charge sheet, jankers if your on one.

Oh that's a sort of punishment, "paint those stones White" or some other pointless exercise.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I had a similar experience with the shurflo water pump on my RV.
I was told by a very respected RV trade member here that the pressure microswitch was not replacable and a complete new switch housing was required....at stupid money....and he had them in stock.
I took off the switch housing, lifted out the bog standard microswitch (interference fit but it comes out), put an indentical one (couple of quid) and powered it up.
My view is....if it was fitted after the housing molding process it can be replaced afterwards....if its part of the molding it cant.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Oh that's a sort of punishment, "paint those stones White" or some other pointless exercise.
It seems the army has a paint fetish.
I was once told an army "saying"......if it moves,salute it...... if it doesnt, paint it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back