First trip to France in a MH what should we take? (1 Viewer)

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
We are just planning our first trip to France and maybe Spain. Planning to leave around 12th April and not sure how long we will go for. It depends how we get on. It could be around 6 weeks. I'm doing a list of what we need before we go.
We've already got things like ,hi viz jackets, and a triangle,spare fuses and bulbs, spare driving glasses
first aid kit.
We've got chairs, table bikes, silverscreen, bbq wind brake various gas filling attachments, same for water
Insurance and brake down cover. Health insurance.
We've decided to leave the carpets at home.
What we haven't got is aircon. We can't afford it. Would it be worth buying a fan? Any other suggestion?
What do you find really necessary? Any help really appreciated.

Deleted User
A 2 pin adapter for your lecky lead added to your list and you're good to go.

It's not as complicated as some would have you believe (y)

If you realise you need anything else when you are over the channel, there are plenty of shops.

Go and enjoy :)

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
One thing we didn't realise until our first visit was that Calor Gas is not sold in France. We had to buy French bottles and connectors. We install these in the van when in France (replacements are easy to get over there at supermarket/petrol stations) and change back to Calor when over here. Not difficult but something to be aware of.

Wyn

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
As above, plenty of gas :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Travel insurance incase you get sick and need to get home in an emergency

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I don't think a fan is essential in April, May but the best fan you can get in my view is one of these: http://www.fantasticvent.co.uk/product/FV1100WH/ENDLESS+BREEZE

They are not cheap and are about half the price in the US where they come from but being 12 volt you can use them on the move and are ideal for cooling a dog while driving!

You could of course use a 240 volt one if on EHU but the endless one is very compact and quiet.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
LOL - your plastic bank card.

Anything you forget - almost - you can buy in France.

Definitely get a 3-pin to 2-pin adaptor though as if you use campsites and want to eg dry your hair in front of a nice big mirror in the shower block - you won't be able to plug it in without.

Very often even if you don't have electricity on your pitch, sites will have sockets in the sanitary blocks. They don't seem to have the same horror sur the continong of electricity and water that we do - washing machines are often sited in bathrooms, abroad!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
A brush and dustpan!
Breathalyser test for France
Sun tan cream
A good sat nav and a back up good road map!

Sense of humour!
French /English vocab book

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
In France you are supposed to have 2 triangles, but don't know anyone who's ever been questioned on this. You must have original car documents, drivers licence and passport with you. ( visitor to my house in France got knocked down by a car -- her own fault, not drivers--- Gendarmes arrived and asked her for her passport, she told them it was in her case at my house and gendarme said he wouldn't arrest her on this occasion as she needed to go to hospital but she had broken the law....)

OP
OP
Hils and Glenns

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks we have got most of those things, but not the ASCI book. I'll put that on the list. Mr Hils has every aire book and map book that exists.
I was wondering about this fan as we could put it in the rooflight. http://www.fiamma.com/EN/products/comfort/vent/turbo-kit/ It's a toss up between that and the endless breeze. We have cab aircon (doesn't work very well) but not habitation

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Has anyone got a price for the Endless Breeze? It did t come up on the above link

May 30, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
PVC Vantage Neo
Exp
25 years
EHIC card. Just in case! You can probably live without a fan. Anything you have forgotten you can buy in France. Just go and enjoy.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
be very careful about bank charges. You will need to make purchases and get cash out of machines. Some banks charge a transaction fee and all give a poor exchange rate. If you cantata a card that makes no charges for foreign use. N&P building society is one and I know there are others. Do a little research and save quite a lot of money in charges.

OP
OP
Hils and Glenns

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks I really appreciate all your help. We are not newbys where driving abroad is concerned its just that we've never been in a motor home before. We are ok with plastic we have a Halifax Clarity and a Saga and a Nationwide.
Although the exchange rate isn't looking so good. I never travel anywhere without 1000's of tea bags. Nothing compares with Yorkshire tea bags. I'm just starting to think we are running out of time if we need to order anything on line. We are getting a couple of new tyres and our aircon re gassed as it is really not that good. I realise it won't be that hot in April and May but if we are really enjoying ourselves we wont come back until we've had enough so could be away in the hotter months. We must be back by August though for an important family wedding :D
The latest problem we have is a broken table mechanism which I've posted on the technical board. Hope we can get it fixed.

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
Tea bags
Corkscrew
Paracetamol's (expensive in france)

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Breathalyser test for France

Anthea... you're gonna make me cross LOL (cause I keep saying it!!) ! No breathalyser is needed in France, not even one or half one, none at all;):)

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Hi Hils, I have a spare ACSI 2016 pack complete with the card if you want it.

ordered one and forgot I already had one on set up on DD.

Pay the postage and its yours. PM me an address if you do, will post it tomorrow.

Hymie.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
What do you find really necessary? Any help really appreciated

My mobile phone number? If you're worried about how to cope with French (people or language...or both!) send me a PM and I'll give you my details .

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Anthea... you're gonna make me cross LOL (cause I keep saying it!!) ! No breathalyser is needed in France, not even one or half one, none at all;):)

I read that the other day Frankie, then my daughter turned up with a twin pack she had bought us. :swear2:

OP
OP
Hils and Glenns

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
Pay the postage and its yours. PM me an address if you do, will post it tomorrow.
Thank you that would be good. I don't know how to PM and how do we pay postage?

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Thank you that would be good. I don't know how to PM and how do we pay postage?
Go to the top right and hover over inbox, start a conversation with @Hymie

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back