cherok

Free Member
Jun 28, 2009
Wales
Funster No
Exp
Months
Hello to you all:Smile:

We've just returned from our first major trip (3 weeks) to the Continent in our new motorhome and had a wonderful time!

I can recommend a couple of good sites as a result..

1st is Chateau Ganspette about 30kms from Calais towards Saint Omer. Nice 3 star Kawan Village site. Pleasant atmosphere and well run with 2 swimming pools and a bar/restaurant with take away. Not haute cuisine but reasonably priced. The only downside is no shop but the boulangerie van calls to the site in the morning. However, there are a couple of supermarkets about 5kms or so away I've been told. Payable wifi is available.They do have singing cleaners in the sanitary blocks though so be prepared for 'sing along with Celine' from about 8am::bigsmile:

2nd is Chateau de Grenouilliere near Blois whic is a nice Castels 4 star with excellent pool complex and nice bar/terrace with free wifi. Small shop on site and fishing in the Chateau moat. Excellent information on the surrounding area with cheese and wine and Chateau trips organised. Wednesday night is French Country and Western band (I kid you not) and their version of 'Cotton Eye Joe' has to be heard to be believed:ROFLMAO:

3rdly is Camping Airotel Les Rivages in Millau which we really want to go back and visit for longer in low season. It has a beautiful riverside position and an excellent cycle path and walkway into Millau town. We didn't have long to look around the town but it looked very cosmopolitan with lots of lovely bars and restaurants. Wifi is available at the site but is a bit dodgy. Has a swimming pool but the river was lovely with a man made beach. Be prepared to take your insect repellent because having not been bothered at all by the pests on any other sites, it was quite a shock as they really are quite vicious!!

Also, the Auvergne is quite stunning with its ancient volcanoes and magma domes, really quite beautiful. Take the A75 south of Clermont and head up into the Regional Park to Champeix and Saint Nectaire (which is well worth spending a bit of time in.) Many motorhomes park up in a large off road layby/parking area just down from the small commercial centre with a lovely boulangerie, small supermarket and a reasonably priced bar/restaurant with terrace. The village is dominated by a 12th Century Romanesque church on a 'mont' overlooking the valley. Hundreds of walks and it even has a cheese museum and caves and Petrified Fountains!! There are plenty of natural lakes nerby with beaches and the ski towns are only 15 and 25 mins away.

Can't wait for our next trip now:Smile:

Baggins

Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
Torbay
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Thanks for the post Chirok.

Hopefully I'm off to France via Roscoff in September and, after looking at your route via GoogleWorld, will make more effort to be by the great rivers rather than sticking to the coast too much.

BW

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dundreamin

Free Member
Sep 24, 2007
South Yorks
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
18 months
freanch leave

Sounds like you had a great time. France is beautiful and has so many different landscapes to see and experience.
We are off to france next week and I can't wait. Might have to persuade hubby to stop off occaionally onhis way to the south. Last year we went west and it rained every day so south is a must for at least afew days of sun - we hope.

Lynne

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back