The ideal motorhome layout (1 Viewer)

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
After renting one for a few days we think we know the basic motorhome layout we like.

We have been searching the internet and trawling shows and dealers trying to find OUR ideal motorhome layout, which is a fixed low level double bed with bathroom alongside it at the back, kitchen and wardrobe in the middle and two lounges either side at the front,
a lot like the kon-tiki 665p, bolero 680fb, bessacarr e560 or bessacarr e765p all made by swift and all without exception lowlines, trouble is we like the traditional big lump over the cab (if only to give us somewhere to store lightweight bedding and stuff)

Can anyone think of any other motorhomes with this layout? what are the advantages and disadvantages of this layout? and what are the advantages and disadvantages of the lowline vs highline?

Tim

SpongeBobsDad

Free Member
Sep 23, 2008
north east uk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
25 + yrs
ideal layout

check out the swift voyager685fb it`s got everything you have described that you want. I have one and i think that it is a fantastic van the only drawback for me personaly is that i miss the garage space that i had on my last burstner 647 levanto .

crazylazy

Free Member
Apr 24, 2009
South East
Funster No
MH
Low-Profile
Exp
4 weeks.. twice out in it
Sad you are so far away my Bolero 680FB is for sale...although I have only had it a short while (see Advert) I think it is superb and when I get more time I will buy another one... hopefully the end of next year! storage under the bed is excellent and storage under the seating either saide is excellent as is the upper storage units the fridge is superb and large...I do not travel light!.....it drives like a dream has everything you will need and trust me it gives you that feel good factor. I hope you find what you are looking for.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
a site of motorhome layouts Link Removed
Might be of some use to you.

Lincolnshire Rover

Free Member
Feb 12, 2009
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
Exp
We have an Ace Airstream 680FB which is from the same mould as a Bessacar 560 and Swift Bolero 680FB the layout is superb loads of storage space a well designed layout our dream machine with a chipped up engine giving an average 33mpg not bad for a 3.5 tonner we upgraded from a Compass Suntor 115 which we thought was ideal , but the Ace is fantastic off again on thursday this time to France / Luxenbourg / Germany , can't wait.. :thumb:

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
check out the swift voyager685fb it`s got everything you have described that you want. I have one and i think that it is a fantastic van the only drawback for me personaly is that i miss the garage space that i had on my last burstner 647 levanto .

Hi Ronny thanks for replying

Yes the 685fb would seem to be the nearest to our ideal but as there is only the two of us, we don't need the two transverse dinette seats and would prefer there to be another side lounger if you get my drift it also seems more spacious that way.

Yes I would prefer a high level rear bed with a garage but SWMBO sleep walks accasionely and is worried about falling off!!!!! do you think there is enough storage in the 685fb for extended trips of two or three months or more?? and do you know are swifts winterised or not??? we have a son living in the french alps!

Tim

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Sad you are so far away my Bolero 680FB is for sale...although I have only had it a short while (see Advert) I think it is superb and when I get more time I will buy another one... hopefully the end of next year! storage under the bed is excellent and storage under the seating either saide is excellent as is the upper storage units the fridge is superb and large...I do not travel light!.....it drives like a dream has everything you will need and trust me it gives you that feel good factor. I hope you find what you are looking for.

Hi Crazylazy thanks for replying

We are not quite ready to buy yet, otherwise for the right van we will travel where ever it takes, after all we can then take as long as we like to get back::bigsmile:

Yes we think the van you have is just about the ideal the only thing it needs for us is the overcab bed.
Can you tell me one thing, in your photos it shows a small table, is that the only one or is there a bigger one as well?

Tim

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi dylan thanks for that is there a english button on there somewhere??

Hope to try your campsite one day:thumb:

Tim

Hi Tim,

Theres a fair selection of Kontikis and Boleros on my website plus variations on a theme on other makes.

Have a look, might give you some ideas.

Peter

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
trouble is we like the traditional big lump over the cab (if only to give us somewhere to store lightweight bedding and stuff)
Tim

That's very expensive storage. Ever mile you drive costs much more than a lowline design.

You were doing so well up to that line !

SpongeBobsDad

Free Member
Sep 23, 2008
north east uk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
25 + yrs

Yes the 685fb would seem to be the nearest to our ideal but as there is only the two of us, we don't need the two transverse dinette seats and would prefer there to be another side lounger if you get my drift it also seems more spacious that way.

Yes I would prefer a high level rear bed with a garage but SWMBO sleep walks accasionely and is worried about falling off!!!!! do you think there is enough storage in the 685fb for extended trips of two or three months or more?? and do you know are swifts winterised or not??? we have a son living in the french alps!

Tim
Hi Wizzer

SpongeBobsDad

Free Member
Sep 23, 2008
north east uk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
25 + yrs

Tim
Hi
My answer would be it depends on how much you want to take away with you there`s plenty of storage under the bed, also all of the undeseat lockers are available for storage ,unlike most of the motorhomes i have owned before the fresh water tank is usualy sited in one of them. Also the over cab area would make ideal storage for more bulkier item`s (don`t forget to check the payload) It`s very easy to exeed.

As far as i know most motorhomes are equiped to withstand winter conditions but saying that i think a lot of the newer swift range with the water tanks fitted externaly underslung on the chassis may have to be winterised for extreme conditions ,i think Swift do a kit for this .Living in the van should prove no problems as they are well insulated and have blown air heating operating from either gas or mains electric.

Have you thought that the dinette layout does provide two extra belted passenger seats where as the double side lounger seats as fitted to the bollero and others like it don`t. You can all ways take the main dinette table off and leave it in its dedicated storage place to give you more floor space. I have just returned from a months holiday in France with 3 of us on board and found the living area big enough for us.

Anyway I could rant on for ever! all i can say is good luck on finding the perfect layout to suit your needs ,hope my advice has been usefull to you .

Ronny

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
That's very expensive storage. Ever mile you drive costs much more than a lowline design.

You were doing so well up to that line !

Hi Brian
Yes I did wonder about that and it was going to be one of my questions at a later date, do you have experience between the two then??

bob and jules

Free Member
May 27, 2009
Goosnargh Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Feb 2009
Hi, We have a bolero680fb and we love it! We travel as a couple (leaving the teenagers at home!) and we have found that there is plenty of space for the two of us- in fact, we can't fill the storage space!

We have recently had a look at other van layouts with an overhead cab but we decided that we would only store clutter up there plus we like the light that the big window over the cab in our bolero gives us.

There have been a couple of gripes with ours. Make sure that the habitation door fits correctly (we are waiting for a replacement) and we have had problems with the control panel display reversing itself. Swift have been great with us but they do seem to be having a problem rectifying the control panel fault. Everything works despite the problem so we don't really worry about it!!!!!

Good luck with your search - it's all very confusing isn't it!!!!

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
After renting one for a few days we think we know the basic motorhome layout we like.

We have been searching the internet and trawling shows and dealers trying to find OUR ideal motorhome layout, which is a fixed low level double bed with bathroom alongside it at the back, kitchen and wardrobe in the middle and two lounges either side at the front,
a lot like the kon-tiki 665p, bolero 680fb, bessacarr e560 or bessacarr e765p all made by swift and all without exception lowlines, trouble is we like the traditional big lump over the cab (if only to give us somewhere to store lightweight bedding and stuff)

Can anyone think of any other motorhomes with this layout? what are the advantages and disadvantages of this layout? and what are the advantages and disadvantages of the lowline vs highline?

Tim

How about an A class like ours, exactly that layout. Itineo LB690. :thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi Brian
Yes I did wonder about that and it was going to be one of my questions at a later date, do you have experience between the two then??

I know we have The Bump on a 2l JTD 2003 Ducato and struggle to get 25mpg whereas the lowline brigade talk in the 30s. Some quote figures so high I think they must be on drugs.

Also FWD seems a poor choice to me, nothing but wheelspin when we want Traction.

So I would certainly be thinking in terms of RWD and lowline next time around.

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
How about an A class like ours, exactly that layout. Itineo LB690. :thumb:

Hi
Thanks for that, I am going to ask everyone but what do you think is the advantages between A class and lowline coach built??:thumb:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Hi
Thanks for that, I am going to ask everyone but what do you think is the advantages between A class and lowline coach built??:thumb:

Hi, space and comfort in a nutshell. No draughts as the whole body is built as a unit. The Itineo is made by Rapido as a budget A class so well respected convertor and we have found the build quality better than the two Burstners we owned.

Here is a link if you want to see the layout

Link Removed

Regards Ken

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
I know we have The Bump on a 2l JTD 2003 Ducato and struggle to get 25mpg whereas the lowline brigade talk in the 30s. Some quote figures so high I think they must be on drugs.

Also FWD seems a poor choice to me, nothing but wheelspin when we want Traction.

So I would certainly be thinking in terms of RWD and lowline next time around.

Hi Brian

Thanks for that, I must admit the compass 180 we hired struggled to get those figures as well and my foots pretty light but I figured that being an old fashioned square design didn't help. So I may have a rethink there!!

Ive been driving Vans for work for the last 20 years or so and most of them have been fwd and its not something Im too concerned about as Id probably carry some mats to go in front of the wheels anyway, but don't get me wrong I'd rather have rwd on my cars, motorhomes the lot but as we will probably be buying second hand I don't want to restrict ourselfs even more. Mind you I do like the look of the new Transit.:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi Brian
Ive been driving Vans for work for the last 20 years or so and most of them have been fwd and its not something Im too concerned about

I'll bet you've not been driving vans ALWAYS loaded to max weight. That is the MH problem, always at more or less max weight and a huge weight to the rear. So the front wheels are always on the light side, well that's how I see it.

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
Just my opinion but seperate bedroom is just a dead space for the 16 hrs that you are not asleep in it; no? Does it not reduce your 'living space' and make the van cramped and gloomy?? :Sad:

We have a U-Shape so have max, airy, light living space and sleep above the cab in the 'quiff' (well he is called Elvis!) but could sleep on the 2 benches if we chose.

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
Just my opinion but seperate bedroom is just a dead space for the 16 hrs that you are not asleep in it; no? Does it not reduce your 'living space' and make the van cramped and gloomy?? :Sad:

We have a U-Shape so have max, airy, light living space and sleep above the cab in the 'quiff' (well he is called Elvis!) but could sleep on the 2 benches if we chose.
we had also been thinking of a rear fixed bedroom as we like the idea of being able to just collapse into bed if we were feeling rough but that is a very valid point.

crazylazy

Free Member
Apr 24, 2009
South East
Funster No
MH
Low-Profile
Exp
4 weeks.. twice out in it
Motorhome layout

Hi Crazylazy thanks for replying

We are not quite ready to buy yet, otherwise for the right van we will travel where ever it takes, after all we can then take as long as we like to get back::bigsmile:

Yes we think the van you have is just about the ideal the only thing it needs for us is the overcab bed.
Can you tell me one thing, in your photos it shows a small table, is that the only one or is there a bigger one as well?

Tim
Hello there yes the Bolero 680FB has a large separate table that stows away in it,s own housing at the side of the fridge at the end of the bed it, and sits between the two sofa's that make up the second double bed.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

No option is there ! Bed BIG. MH limited space so something has to give.

It is an appealing idea though and can be considered additional lounge or reading space during the day.

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!

Hi Elvis
Yes I know what you are saying and we thought the rear lounge was our ideal until we hired one and found we left it made up most of the time.

The overcab is a no no for us as SWMBO sleep walks!!!!

And as for being cramped and gloomy we personally find quite the opposite if you have a look at the vans I mention at the start of this post you will see what i mean, although they are not the most compact of vans at around 23 to 25ft.

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
As far as the fixed bed controversy goes I think you can have the best of both worlds. Two decent sized single beds double as seating during the day but only need a sleeping bag /quilt thrown over them to use as beds. Should work fine so long as you can manage without a double bed.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I agree with Brian, we have a low line, the overhang must cost a couple or more m.p.g.
The E560 is very comfortable and has plenty of storage, plus, it's great to drive.

Rgds
Bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back