Suction Fitting Things (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I bought this for our house, but have realised they could be really useful in the MH, we have just had some tiling done at home and being completely useless at DIY really did not fancy drilling the tiles to refit the toilet roll holder

Had a chat with myself and said wouldn't it be brilliant if you could get suction fittings.......

Well google and ebay soon confirmed you already can

The range I have bought from is called Gecko (clever) it has a suction that I wish my Tom Tom had, it sticks like its life depends on it.

They even stick to a painted wall, but in MH with all the shiny surfaces they could be really useful

I bought mine from ebay, probably way over priced, but I am really pleased and will be looking at the whole range

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271678258...49&var=570515478350&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

IMG_0628.JPG
IMG_0629.JPG

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I think one of the people doing a conversion at the moment has used this range. I know I've seen them in a thread somewhere Useful kit, especially as you say on tiles where you could easily spend more than that on the right drill bits and then burn them out. (y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I think one of the people doing a conversion at the moment has used this range. I know I've seen them in a thread somewhere Useful kit, especially as you say on tiles where you could easily spend more than that on the right drill bits and then burn them out. (y)
Yup it's on ralph and bevs home conversion thread.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Yep that's us .
Do what it says on the tin. We thought less holes in the wet room less chance of leaks.
First 2 links. Below are the ones we got out of the range.
Well.....Its been a month since my last update. I have been trying to finish this conversion in the 120 day insurance deadline.

I have failed miserably :mad:

I have been busy and made some good progress. The wet room is now complete . The sparkle board walls are fully sealed and everything is plumbed in.
We also have a working SOG and Led lighting.
To save me having to drill holes in the walls we have decided to try suction mount holders from Gecko.

View attachment 62820
View attachment 62821

I have just finished this weekend the 12v and 240v electrics (y) This has been a another very time consuming job and working in confined spaces a bit challenging. We now have power and lighting throughout. The system i have gone for is almost identical to this....
View attachment 62822

Most of the equipment i have chosen to use is by Victron. If there are any boaters reading this you will recognize the Victron equipment.
This gear is mainly used in boats and designed to be run daily. Here are a few pics of what i am using....

View attachment 62836
View attachment 62837
View attachment 62839
To be continued ............

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough

Yup it's on ralph and bevs home conversion thread.

I really must pay more attention, I have even read most of that thread :D:D

Still, if I missed it somebody else might still gain from my post :)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Yep that's us .
Does what it says on the tin. We thought less holes in the wet room less chance of leaks.

Don't they just, never had a suction fitting anywhere near as 'permanent' I actually thought it was going to take the paint off the door I tried it on :)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We have a suction fixed shower basket, in the shower believe it to not but it falls off after a few months so only mount it low down so it doesn't go through the tray.

At home this is.

Martin

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We have a suction fixed shower basket, in the shower believe it to not but it falls off after a few months so only mount it low down so it doesn't go through the tray.

At home this is.

Martin

I would seriously suggest you try this range, I stuck it on my office door (no idea why really) and didn't think it would come off without a layer of paint :)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
spend more than that on the right drill bits and then burn them out. (y)
What 'right drill bits' ?

I always use a regular 5.5mm masonary bit designed for non hammer drills and havent cracked a tile yet.

I drill a lot of tiles in my job using a dewalt battery drill, the trick is very slow with just enough pressure to cut, until you break through the glaze then speed up a bit to cut through the tile itself.

Once through the tile drill at normal speed......

To me those diamond tipped conical (or is it 'comical') tile drill bits are for people with more money than sense.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
What 'right drill bits' ?

I always use a regular 5.5mm masonary bit designed for non hammer drills and havent cracked a tile yet.

I drill a lot of tiles in my job using a dewalt battery drill, the trick is very slow with just enough pressure to cut, until you break through the glaze then speed up a bit to cut through the tile itself.

Once through the tile drill at normal speed......

To me those diamond tipped conical (or is it 'comical') tile drill bits are for people with more money than sense.

It depends on the tile. Yes, a lot of the time a masonry bit will do it. Usually I found as the tiles got dearer they got harder. I've burnt out more than one masonry bit without even marking the tile.
We used to do work for a high end kitchen and bathroom firm. A lot of the tiles they used were a nightmare, not ceramic ones which aren't much more than glazed sand. Solid porcelain or Quartzite are a completely different story. A lot of these things are 12mm thick. They used to supply the tile drill bits for our guys to use. It wasn't unusual for it to be one bit per hole. A normal masonry bit would have been a complete waste of time. There was always someone wanting to prove that last bit wrong, nobody ever did.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011

At home this is.

Martin

We have a soap dish on the bathroom mirror in Busty, falls off every few weeks but lands in the sink.

nobby &noo

Free Member
Jun 12, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
burstner t star 695
Exp
since 2010
must be just me bought the ones from Johns Cross and they fell off so after reading this thread bought the gecko one pictured above and guess what yep that falls off too

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Old thread which I must have missed first time round :)

We tried Broken Link Removed from Croydex. It kept falling off. Probably in the "must chuck out some time" box in the garage now.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
It depends on the tile. Yes, a lot of the time a masonry bit will do it. Usually I found as the tiles got dearer they got harder. I've burnt out more than one masonry bit without even marking the tile.
We used to do work for a high end kitchen and bathroom firm. A lot of the tiles they used were a nightmare, not ceramic ones which aren't much more than glazed sand. Solid porcelain or Quartzite are a completely different story. A lot of these things are 12mm thick. They used to supply the tile drill bits for our guys to use. It wasn't unusual for it to be one bit per hole. A normal masonry bit would have been a complete waste of time. There was always someone wanting to prove that last bit wrong, nobody ever did.
some of the tiles around now would defy any normal tungsten bit ive burnt out diamond coated cutters with water feeds and theres no glaze the are solid ,so its a slow process hanging a towel rail with four fixings

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
must be just me bought the ones from Johns Cross and they fell off so after reading this thread bought the gecko one pictured above and guess what yep that falls off too

sounds unlucky if they are the Gecko ones, one of ours has dropped off twice in the 10 months since fitted, but that was on a painted wall not tiles, all those on tiles are still where placed, although we have changed the toilet roll holders for a different style, we found the one I quoted 'drooped', we now have a more utility white plastic version

you do know that you need to turn the fixing till it clicks? and that when refitting wash and dry the rubber to make it tacky again (y)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
The ability of a device of this type to remain in place relies on a multiple of parameters. the difference in pressure between the inner "void" and Atmosphere, which itself varies as the barometer rises and falls, The pressure exerted is governed by the area inside the pad. The force attempting to dislodge the device is governed by the distance of the fulcrum of the mass from the median point of the void, multiplied by the mass, the most critical is the seal, and whether or not it allows leakage, when it leaks eventually the force implied is greater than the resistance the external pressure exerts on the pad, at which point It "Bloody well falls OFF":D:D:D:D:D:D:D.(y)

Pete

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
We tried Broken Link Removed from Croydex. It kept falling off. Probably in the "must chuck out some time" box in the garage now.
I also have a "must chuck out" box in the garage, so I have to ask. Have you ever chucked any of it out?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I also have a "must chuck out" box in the garage, so I have to ask. Have you ever chucked any of it out?
Two years ago I had a big clear out of both loft and garage with many trips to the local dump. It was a good job because a few months later circumstances meant we had to store a stack of other stuff :)

nobby &noo

Free Member
Jun 12, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
burstner t star 695
Exp
since 2010
The ability of a device of this type to remain in place relies on a multiple of parameters. the difference in pressure between the inner "void" and Atmosphere, which itself varies as the barometer rises and falls, The pressure exerted is governed by the area inside the pad. The force attempting to dislodge the device is governed by the distance of the fulcrum of the mass from the median point of the void, multiplied by the mass, the most critical is the seal, and whether or not it allows leakage, when it leaks eventually the force implied is greater than the resistance the external pressure exerts on the pad, at which point It "Bloody well falls OFF":D:D:D:D:D:D:D.(y)

Pete
i did wonder if it was just to cold,i brought the one from johns cross into the house last night and stuck it in the downstairs loo and it was still there this morning

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
i did wonder if it was just to cold,i brought the one from johns cross into the house last night and stuck it in the downstairs loo and it was still there this morning

Likely. If you think about it, the Material (a plastic) when cold will likely harden and be less accommodating to movement of the barometric pressure. Therefore more likely to fail earlier rather than later?.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back