LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I guess you are talking about towing a caravan, nothing wrong with towing I quite enjoyed it. Caravans are a different way of doing essentially the same thing as we do in a motorhome. You have more option of where to stop with a MH but you have a car on hand to get you places if you have a caravan.

Caravans are a bit more work setting up and then getting packed away and hitched up.

Personal choice, we changed from a caravan and won't be going back anytime soon.

Martin

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
Would never go back to it.
Watching folk set up now from the MH, which is ready in 2 mins
makes me cringe.

Park up, maybe plug in, open fridge, which leads to opening a can or bottle. JOB DONE, now watch the tubers for an hour or so.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
ive been caravaning on and off for about 20 years, it was the setting up in downpours that made me change to a MH,sure there are advantages with both set ups but i thought id give motorhomes ago

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
If you like to go to one place for a week at a time caravan if you like to move evey day or two motorhome

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Horses for coursers ,Tugging makes more sense to me than towing a car. You don't have to plan your journey much with a camper/motorhome. Tugged for years but enjoy motorhome much more. BUSBY.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
No problem with towing a caravan if that suits you, quite a lot of people with motor homes end up towing cars anyway so not much difference. As far as setting up is concerned I have seen people with motor homes take far longer that someone with a caravan. We have done both over the last 40 years so just do what suits you at the time.

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
After tugging and getting a MH I have tried towing a small car, carrying a scooter, gave up both and bought an electric bike, best thing I have bought after the motorhome.
Just could not see myself going back to a caravan.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We chose a motorhome rather than a caravan because neither of us has either towed and neither of us fancied doing so. We wouldn't change voluntarily but if it were a case of needing a car whilst away we would definitely consider a caravan rather than give up or towing a car behind the MH.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
We chose a motorhome rather than a caravan because neither of us has either towed and neither of us fancied doing so. We wouldn't change voluntarily but if it were a case of needing a car whilst away we would definitely consider a caravan rather than give up or towing a car behind the MH.
And if you are in need of a car ,just hire one as long as wanted . .. Simples . !!

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Both let you enjoy the great outdoors,as said above in previous posts,we have C/v-m/h-c/v-M/home again now. I have been on sites with a C/v and enjoyed the company of M/h's and we have been in the m/h and had a great time with C/vanners.
We are lucky in one respect,we have enough room here to have both,if we had a c/v again,but i need a bit more cash........ ARE YOU LISTENING CAMELOT? LOTTO ? HINT!! LOL
Tea Bag

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Yes, that is another alternative that has become more readily available in recent years (y)
Its what I did in North Wales last year ..had motorhome at a site at lake Bala and hired a car to tour the mountains ,castles etc ..cant remember how much it cost but wasn't much as only had a little punto.....

Reactions: GJH

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
being serious for a minute, I have got both a motorhome and a caravan currently. we have camped in both types of accommodation and others for many years. also buy and sell motorhomes and caravans occasionally too.

anyone want to buy a 2008 compass rallye 650 twin axle?

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I was talking to a local caravan workshop whilst getting parts and we were talking about caravans and motorhome he pointed out the top of the range twin axle tugger that was for sale at £25000 and said that is everything that most MH have but it has its own chassis to which I said yes an alco one just bolt the cab only unit from Fiat on and you have a three axle motorhome. but a lot cheaper a few bit to join them and that was that?? The current motorhome buying spree is pushing the sales through the roof an hardening the prices somewhat.Caravan do seem to drop in price a bit, like off a cliff, after a short time.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Caravans just seem like an almighty faff to me. When we arrive on a site, I get out the level thingy and check it, and then after sorting ramps (if needed) plug into mains - we are pitched.
If we are stopping off site, even easier, check level sort ramps (if needed), turn inverter on have coffee - we are pitched! :D
Watching all the procedures one has to go through on a caravan is mind boggling, I would be bound to forget something. In fact, whilst having some repair work done to the van recently, a caravan was in to have major bodywork done on the back. Turns out the owner hadn't done something or other to the tow hitch, he'd gone to leave his pitch and the caravan went into reverse rapidly without the car! If I owned a caravan, that would be me!

Lynne Steele

Free Member
Feb 13, 2015
Lleyn peninsula
Funster No
MH
Majestic accordo 125
Exp
4 years
I am not organised enough to go back to a caravan, We set off at a moments notice without a clue where we will end up, and that is what I love most, the freedom and also having nothing to do when we do arrive.
When we had small children we did have a caravan and had good times, but it's Motorhome all the way for us now.

K9Brian

Free Member
Aug 2, 2010
South Manchester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since April 2010
We've had caravans since the 70s and then seven years ago we got a motorhome. We still use both. They each have advantages and disadvantages but the holidays we use them for are very different and both are very enjoyable.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I was talking to a local caravan workshop whilst getting parts and we were talking about caravans and motorhome he pointed out the top of the range twin axle tugger that was for sale at £25000 and said that is everything that most MH have but it has its own chassis to which I said yes an alco one just bolt the cab only unit from Fiat on and you have a three axle motorhome. but a lot cheaper a few bit to join them and that was that?? The current motorhome buying spree is pushing the sales through the roof an hardening the prices somewhat.Caravan do seem to drop in price a bit, like off a cliff, after a short time.
More like £60k for top notch caravan, £25k might have been top of the range he stocked, I agree though that motorhomes are expensive in comparison.

Martin

Sep 9, 2011
Worcester
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Just going down that route bought a caravan in Spain but leaving it there in storage change of circumstances in the last few moths have changed so Motorhome will be up for sale next week john

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
We to changed from Caravaning to Motorhoming, it was some time an advantage to have transport while away, i.e the car but much prefer the Motorhome way of life, the Aires, the ability just to get up and go, being able to pull up and quickly have a break and a cuppa without getting wet in the rain, I could go on but you pay your money and take your chance, it's horses for courses. :)

JohnH

Free Member
Jan 5, 2009
Southport
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
+14
My passion are motorhomes but I now have a caravan. We stopped travelling around and tend to holiday in a single place so that was the reason for the change.
There are, howeve, a couple of negatives. We cannot use Aires which we used a lot in France. I have to tax and insure a car big enough to tow (my original car, a Fiesta 1.0 would struggle pulling a skateboard). The tax on the Hyundai is the same as the PVC we had and the insurance is about the same. I have to also insure the caravan and then buy lots of bits to stop someone taking it. The cost of a ferry crossing is higher as my "vehicle" is now 20m+ instead of 6m.
In return I pay the same campsite fees and have the use of a pleasant vehicle to trip around Spain or wherever I end up.
Swings and roundabouts. You pays your money and takes your choice.

JohnH

Free Member
Jan 5, 2009
Southport
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
+14
I forgot one other very important thing about Motorhomes over Caravans. I know it is not strictly legal but toilet breaks for the passenger can be accomplished without stopping. Try finding an empty layby in this country so that the passenger can get out, go to said caravan, take step out and get in, switch on electrics, perform ones duties, flush (toilet of course), switch off electrics, get out of caravan, lock up and go back to car.
If it's raining it is my fault of course.
In a motorhome. Get in inside lane and take care. Passenger goes into loo. Powders her nose and gets back in seat. Meanwhile I have covered several miles and she can get me a drink (non alcoholic of course) en route. Big sigh now.

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
I'm an ex tugger, changed to motorhome 3years ago and still not sure. Currently in Spain, drove through France using Aires so score 1 for MH. First site in Spain, stayed 9 nights. Second one 4, third one 11, now on fourth for how long I don't know yet.
Not convinced that MH is easier to pitch than a caravan. Both you have to level and hook up. OK, caravan you have to detach the car as well. There are various mechanical aids now to help with !moving, levelling and steadying a caravan. One thing I nearly always forget with MH is to fill up with water before pitching, and that can be a right nuisance, less so with a caravan.
Plenty of Brits here who have towed, and I do miss having a car to explore a bit further afield. Hiring is an option, but I think you either hire for extended periods and accept the car may be unused, or say "let's get a car for Tuesday next week", which spoils the spontaneity of a camping holiday.
So, the jury is still out, although reading this back before posting, I seem to be talking myself into a return to tugging.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back