Jul 29, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Plus s 670SLT
Exp
Since 2014
Hi Funsters

I’m struggling for ideas of where to head for next week, we don’t plan other than a general direction and possible areas to visit. We are using the Euro tunnel next Thursday and have three weeks. Although we have only had the motorhome for 18 months we have been to France 4 times, visiting the Loire Valley, Dordogne area, just into the Champaign area, bits of Britany, Normandy WWII sites, the Ile-de-Re and a little of the West coast. We love France and have been pleased with all our trips. Not that bothered about seeking the sun but would like warmer weather than here, we like places of interest, rivers/waterways and nice views. I’m not into driving long hours, would rather take in the sights as we go.

With that in mind could I please ask for your help and suggestions.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We loved Alsace but at this time of year chilly!!. Last year went to the Southern Rhone would be warmer but a long way but we did it there and back in a week!

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We left UK on Monday on a 3 week trip to the Algarve
France is still a bit cold now, so you might like to consider traveling a bit further south

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi Coolpit, what about, Carcassonne, canal du midi &
Languedoc area Narbonne Toulouse & Perpignan
also Andorra ( albeit not France )
Terry

PS I think you ought to update your status it says you don't own a Moho yet & still a newbie

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Hi Coolpit, what about, Carcassonne, canal du midi &
Languedoc area Narbonne Toulouse & Perpignan
also Andorra ( albeit not France )
Terry

PS I think you ought to update your status it says you don't own a Moho yet & still a newbie
Went there this year for the grape harvest festival in Banyuls cracking area

OP
OP
C
Jul 29, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks for the replies, I'm now thinking going to the south is best; although a long way.

Alsace looks a good option when we came back later in the year.
Will look at the Southern Rhone and on to Carcassonne area.

As we don't like to be on the road too much 3/4 hours is about it, it will take 4 to 5 days. When we stop we like to be close to places of interest. Could I ask for any suggestions of place to stop along what will be an unplanned route for both going and coming back.

I find this the worst part of the pre-holiday preparation, we don't plan other than the first night and where we may be heading for; but like to have some options. Hope that makes sense.

Many thanks.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
We've used Catillon sur Sambre nice aire 5euros by a canal,
about 4/5 places ,if full theres another free aire across the road & down short lane to a rough parking area free ( no services this side)

on the way back if travelling east of Paris
Geraudot aire nice lakeside aire,
Giffaumont Champbert 3 nice lakeside aire's we prefer the free one.
if you need gps just ask

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer, Aigues Mortes, Avignon, Nimes, Arles, Uzes, Pont du Gard, Carcassonne, Biarritz all well south.

We had lovely weather around Easter a couple of years ago in the Ardeche (Vallon Pont d'Arc), Auvergne (Puy de Dome), and Dordogne (Les Eyzies) regions too, and hardly any crowds.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Spain. Best chance of good weather. Loads of nice campsites from French border down to Barcelona. Just far enough for 3 weeks.

Enough time for Italy ( similar distance ) but maybe too cool this early.

I've just looked up Barcelona, not exactly inspiring weather there.

OP
OP
C
Jul 29, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2014
Have now looked at a route that makes Troyes a good over night stop, looked at another thread that gave suggested stopovers. Most were campsite that are not open till April. Geraudot aire looks a good location but in lasts years All The Aires it's state service point only, I was hoping that Fidget or someone could clarify for me. We will be in France at about 11.40 there time, so driving time including a stop will get us near Troyes at 17.00.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I would think you would need to use toll roads to get near Troyes in 4 hours

we found a great little first night aire thanks to MHF for our last trip Mailleraye sur Seine, just to the west of Rouen, that is more realistic for a three hour drive (y)

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Geraudot is a large car park for moho's take about 20
no gates or anything
upload_2016-3-16_17-30-32.jpeg

just across the road from the lake & a car park in second photo
upload_2016-3-16_17-33-13.jpeg

about 280 miles avoiding paege,
about 6& half hours at least

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
We stopped at Catillon sur Sambre when we went nice canalside aire
upload_2016-3-16_17-35-33.jpeg

thats us third in & Heyupluv the first moho.
125miles about 3 hours

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
We are also doing the tunnel tomorrow and heading for the Bordaux area. Looking on Meteor France site looks as good weather there as the south. What time crossing are you on and where is your overnight stop?

Edit. Just seen your timings. We don't cross til 16.20 and plan to stop at Boulogne.

OP
OP
C
Jul 29, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2014
What excellent response, thanks.

Geraudot with tolls on Mappy gives the travelling time as 4hr 31min and 257miles. Don't use tolls nominally but trying to get some distance on the first day. We stopped at Catillon Sur Sambre on our first trip last year, a very nice aire; which we may used on way back. Geraudot looks big enough not to be busy at this time of year, very misleading in the book.

Thanks again.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We did a three week trip last summer. A week down through France. Into Italy via Chamonix and the Mont Blanc tunnel. Then a week on a site at Lake Garda. Then finally a week back to Calais through Austria and Germany.

We don't do long drives either because the dogs get too bored.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back