scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Abington Services ..

Parking Charges:

Parking is free to all customers for the first 2 hours, thereafter charges apply: Cars £8.00, including a £2 meal voucher; HGV, Caravans & Coaches £17.50, including a £6 meal voucher.

Oddly, no mention of motor homes .. I'm assuming they charge caravan rate unless you have a car sized van.

Can you imagine the French ever paying £17.50 for an aire .. What good a is a £6 meal voucher when you have a kitchen on wheels.

Link Removed

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Can you imagine the French ever paying £17.50 for an aire .
No.....and the simple answer is you just don't go to this Service area and either take your business elsewhere, or pull off and find a layby on a main road to have a brew.

I've long waged 'war' against excessive parking fees around my local town by simply never going there to shop.....for anything. And i can't be the only one doing this either as the result has been a gradual decline of the town with shops closing down and being boarded up.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
You think that's dear Jim? Extra told me "Parking at our sites is free for the first two hours and £20 thereafter for maximum 24 hours in the car park area and £15 in the HGV area."

A user of my web site told me that Moto service areas are managed by a company called RingGo and at Medway West on the M2 it cost him £8 for the night.

I'm still waiting for Welcome Break to get back to me - perhaps their charges embarass them ::bigsmile:

Problem with having a kitchen on wheels is that most (all?) MSAs ban use of gas appliances.

Bottom line is that they are private companies charging what they can get away with. As Bulletguy says there are plenty of alternatives not too far from motorway junctions. See Link Removed.

Graham

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Your task, should you accept it Mr Jim, is name a cheap service area in the UK.

This message will self destruct in 15 seconds..........

Guess I just made it .. :roflmto:

but it was a tough one.. as one signature reads .. cheap no good.. good no cheap

but here is a free one, and I've used it several times.. heading back to Sunny Scotland ::bigsmile: Tebay M6

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Bulletguy; I've long waged 'war' against excessive parking fees around my local town by simply never going there to shop.....[B said:
for anything.[/B] And i can't be the only one doing this either as the result has been a gradual decline of the town with shops closing down and being boarded up.

Think you are being a bit short sighted there "Bulletguy" by not shopping and spending your hard earned cash in your local town it is hurting the poor shop owner/tenent, As with my town Weymouth the same thing is happening shops closing and being boarded up the ressesion and the parking charges,, But it is not the shop keeper that sets the parking charges, most times it is the council,,, :Angry:

And most councils and councillers are so far up their own ar5es they dont realise they are losing out on rates from the shops that are closing and less people paying extortionate car park fee`s.

And what happens cos they are running out of money they will wack up the general house hold rates for next year,, you mark my words,, watch what your rates go up next April.. :cry:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
You can park for free overnight in the car park opposite the school 200 yards from us off the A21 going to Hastings

School complained about our customers using it but the Highways Agency said it was a Public Car Park for everybodies use!:thumb:

Peter

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Think you are being a bit short sighted there "Bulletguy" by not shopping and spending your hard earned cash in your local town it is hurting the poor shop owner/tenent, As with my town Weymouth the same thing is happening shops closing and being boarded up the ressesion and the parking charges,, But it is not the shop keeper that sets the parking charges, most times it is the council,,, :Angry:
We tend to avoid Middlesbrough, normally going in only for medical appointments. The reason is that the shops aren't what we want rather than the parking charges. When we do go in we usually use the car park where the medical centre is, now privately owned by The Mall shopping centre chain. Cost is £1.50 up to 2 hours. Council and the odd couple of privately owned CPs are £1.60 for up to 2 hours.
We prefer to use Stockton on Tees for shopping (better butchers, greengrocers etc) and can park free up to 3 hours in a private shopping centre car park. Dunno what the council charges.

And most councils and councillers are so far up their own ar5es they dont realise they are losing out on rates from the shops that are closing and less people paying extortionate car park fee`s
That isn't actually the case because business rates are collected by councils but paid straight to central government. What is paid out in central support to any given council bears no relationship to the amount collected from business rates in its area.

Personally I reckon the decline in town centres isn't just down to parking charges but won't explore that here as it will go too far off Jim's topic :Smile:

Graham

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
can park for free after 3 pm in rotherham /council doing there bit they say for the recession:ROFLMAO:
as for weymouth you cannot park your motorhome on front .they don't want us there.:Eeek:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No

And most councils and councillers are so far up their own ar5es they dont realise they are losing out on rates from the shops that are closing and less people paying extortionate car park fee`s.

And what happens cos they are running out of money they will wack up the general house hold rates for next year,, you mark my words,, watch what your rates go up next April.. :cry:
My heart bleeds for them mo.

I used to do my Banking the 'old fashioned way' by going to town (all Banks seem to be in town), i'd often have a wander around the town also, pass a few shops, see some tat that i probably didn't really need, but i'd buy it because it was there and the price was right.

Not only did parking charges start going up at a ludicrous rate, so did prices of goods in shops. But by this time the internet had come along and shopkeepers have been pathetically slow to recognise this. Their answer to a dying trade is to go on banging up prices. The end result can be seen in many towns throughout the UK.

As for household rates going up, like everyone else mine increase annually and the 'services' become less. In fifteen years of living in this avenue, the road has been resurfaced just once. A truck drove down spewing a coat of tar and stone chips out at the same time followed very quickly by a road roller. It took them less than thirty minutes. Come winter and the potholes and weeds will be back again.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Point taken, I apologies.,, :Blush:

I still give my business to the local trader if possible, but probably only cos I can walk into town. :Smile:

I did not realise that council`s did not get anything from business rates. :Blush:

And I agree with the post by "Dshauge" Weymouth is the pits for enticing visitors,, unless you are in a wheel chair or use a zimmer frame..(No Disrespect meant) I dont think the council want`s any one with a bit of get up and go here.

Rant Over,, going to have another glass of wine.. :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back