Carthago windscreen (1 Viewer)

Apr 26, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We have recently purchased a new Carthago a class first time we slept in the Motorhome we found the windscreen condensates so bad that the blowers can't move it . We contacted the dealer they said use a long sqwegey with a towel on the dash board sorry after paying £103 grand I don't think that's acceptable any ideas

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Silverscreens for exterior on cold nights and a karcher window vac to use inside in the morning, sorted.
The problem is the windscreen is the the coldest thing in the moho so breath will condensate there. The silverscreen will help no end and the vac will pick up any that does condensate

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I'm with you Mr Grump, we have the same problem, you are not alone with the problem or the annoyance, at the kind of money we are talking about I really don't why the screens are not double glazed, the side ones are

It cant really be a weight thing, or cost, and as they are insured even replacement is not an issue

Equivalent top end cars have double glazed windscreens, why not MH's?

Jul 21, 2011
Up’t North West
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
For £103 grand you'd expect a double glazed, heated windscreen. Lol.
On a more serious note check your windscreen insurance cover incase you need to claim. Most insurers have a maximum of £3000. A Carthago A class can cost £6000+ to replace. That's what I was told by a very good and reliable dealer which had one in with a cracked screen. Luckily the customer had separate windscreen Insurance cover.
Colin

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
We also have a so called quality Carthago but the Q part is sadly missing. We have had ice on the inside of our van this winter. After 13 motor homes this is the first to have ice.
Our previous AClass vans in winter were all okay but this one is terrible. One thing for sure NEVER purchase from a Carthago dealer as they are the best for ripping you off. I have one daytime running light off out of 10 and to replace it I have to buy a pair at £400. I sourced a winter screen from Italy and it's helps but is heavy to hump around. The Carthago screen was twice the price and kept falling of. They eventually agreed it was rubbish and gave me a refund. I'm convinced the dealers must just think of any price and quadruple it and see if the customers bites. For a habitation check you need a lottery win.
Sorry but I would NEVER purchase a Carthago again. One bitten and all that.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
i find it quite shocking that a MH with a price tag of 103k cant find a way to demist its windscreens without having to go through using a cloth etc,so what happens about damp ingress?

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Disappointing yes but no matter how much we spend on a motor home can we change physics ? Warm air meets cold screen = condensation....
quite right charlie,but there should be some kind of a drainage system other than relying on a towel to soak it up , i deal with condensation as a problem with my job,i can just see the customers face if i told them to stick a towel under it :rolleyes::)

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Our Transit based van has a heated windscreen, easy peasy to clear in the morning, start engine and turn on. Although we use external screens anyway and never have an issue. On a £100k van I would have thought heated screen would be included.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You need to buy yourself a Karcher window vac - just a couple of minutes in a morning and it will be clear. Beats using a cloth any day!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Our A class has a huge windscreen and like every other the same suffers terrible condensation.
Cure is easy a set of Silverscreens they work perfectly and when fitted absolutely no condensation.
Dont see towels or karcher as sensible solutions as both are only a means of cleaning up the mess. Also the condensation causes all sorts of damage prevention is the best method eg Silverscreens.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Our A class has a huge windscreen and like every other the same suffers terrible condensation.
Cure is easy a set of Silverscreens they work perfectly and when fitted absolutely no condensation.
Dont see towels or karcher as sensible solutions as both are only a means of cleaning up the mess. Also the condensation causes all sorts of damage prevention is the best method eg Silverscreens.
If you have external screens then yes but if you're on an aire etc then most people won't use them and internal ones will help reduce it but not prevent it totally, so the use of a window vac would still be a good 'addition'.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp

The Karcher is a perfectly sensible solution for us, we don't have, and don't want screens, either internal or external. I don't want to put them on or take them off then find somewhere to keep them when travelling. I find the Karcher takes two minutes, if that and the condensation of gone. It also has the effect of keeping the inside of the screen beautifully clean.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Another option would be to make curtains to give some insulation to the cab - it wouldn't be difficult.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
The Karcher is a perfectly sensible solution for us, we don't have, and don't want screens, either internal or external. I don't want to put them on or take them off then find somewhere to keep them when travelling. I find the Karcher takes two minutes, if that and the condensation of gone. It also has the effect of keeping the inside of the screen beautifully clean.
Have you made a 'nappy' for yours to stop it 'piddling' when you accidentally turn it sideways?

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Air flow. You have spent a lot of money and you have got an A class,thats air tight,so that's one point in its favour. So you need to circulate air around. Happens sometimes in houses.
Tea Bag

Reactions: f6c

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Our Knaus A has suffered only once with a "steamy window"... after being out in all types of weather conditions...

That was the one night i left the stick-on tv arial lead poked out of the drivers sliding window.. It rained all night.. Consequently the window slider trough filled with water... causing some condensation on the front screen...

After reading many threads on the subject in my early days as a newbie; I was determined to buy external covers... But so far I cannot justify... (Unless we go skiing and the like)..

What are we doing wrong!?.. o_O:( :LOL:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Silverscreens for exterior on cold nights and a karcher window vac to use inside in the morning, sorted.
The problem is the windscreen is the the coldest thing in the moho so breath will condensate there. The silverscreen will help no end and the vac will pick up any that does condensate

Yes it's normal if you don't want it ventilate properly. Ex Mercedes driver by any chance?:D

such a big expanse of glass you need silver screens to be honest...

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2010
Wakefield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Vline
Exp
Since 1999
Silver screens if they make them for your MH otherwise Karcher window vac.

Broken Link Removed

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
If you have external screens then yes but if you're on an aire etc then most people won't use them and internal ones will help reduce it but not prevent it totally, so the use of a window vac would still be a good 'addition'.

Don't understand that part, we always use our Silver Screens and put them on as soon as we notice the screen misting over. In the summer, we will use the internal screens, unless it's very hot and the sun is shining on the screen, then the external screens go on again.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Our Transit based van has a heated windscreen, easy peasy to clear in the morning, start engine and turn on. Although we use external screens anyway and never have an issue. On a £100k van I would have thought heated screen would be included.
Ford and Jaguar have the patent rights to heated front screens. Jaguar only have it because they were once owned by Ford.
The heated screen is an awesome invention and so many manufacturers would be copying and using it but they can't ....

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011

Don't understand that part, we always use our Silver Screens and put them on as soon as we notice the screen misting over. In the summer, we will use the internal screens, unless it's very hot and the sun is shining on the screen, then the external screens go on again.

Maybe because of the same thinking when on an aire as when wild camping - you want to be able to drive off without going outside if you feel unhappy about a situation.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Ford and Jaguar have the patent rights to heated front screens. Jaguar only have it because they were once owned by Ford.
The heated screen is an awesome invention and so many manufacturers would be copying and using it but they can't ....
Are you sure the patent rights are still active? We have a Kia and a Citroen both with heated windscreens, although the Kia has just the bottom half heated to stop the wipers sticking to the screen. Both windscreens clear very quickly.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Maybe because of the same thinking when on an aire as when wild camping - you want to be able to drive off without going outside if you feel unhappy about a situation.
Ah, ok, never been in that situation myself, must be fussy where we park.

Reactions: f6c

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back