Moving around whilst travelling (1 Viewer)

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Often when we start moving, I hear odd rattles and bangs that annoy the pants off me, so send Jane rearwards to check it out. So my question is, can a passenger LEGALLY be permitted to get up and move around in the back whist the MH is moving.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Do what you like, just don't get up yourself while driving, or crash when someone else is moving about.
Mrs A often gets up to check things that are rattling/ fallen over/ moving about/ get her cardy, etc.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
No more about number of seat belts then, they seem a bit of a waste of time lol

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
Interesting. At first glance it would seem to be illegal as you are immediately a passenger without a seatbelt regardless of any other issues. But what if you're on a moving bus walking to the door to get off? What if there's only standing room available on the bus? How are the two related - is a MH a car on steroids (one set of laws) or a bus on a diet (another set)?

OP
OP
Zigisla

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
So what we are saying is that, as long as I put the Cruise Control on and Crook lock the Steering wheel straight, on a good bit of motorway, I can get to all the higher up rattles; as Jane is a bit vertically challenged, so long as I don’t crash. :cautious: The only snag I can see with this is that there aren’t any good bits of motorway in the UK and I cannot wait til I get abroad to stop the rattles.:ROFLMAO:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
But what if you're on a moving bus walking to the door to get off?

I believe there are signs on most buses specifically requesting that you don't do that.

I may be wrong, it's been a while since I've been on one.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I think you'll find that no seatbelt only applies to the seat you're in. If you're walking around the offence may be having an insecure or dangerous load.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Swmbo is always up and down investugating rattles etc. Has also been known to use the loo or make sandwiches.
I have told her its illegal but she still does it.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Interesting. At first glance it would seem to be illegal as you are immediately a passenger without a seatbelt regardless of any other issues. But what if you're on a moving bus walking to the door to get off? What if there's only standing room available on the bus? How are the two related - is a MH a car on steroids (one set of laws) or a bus on a diet (another set)?

It's all down to the number of seats in the vehicle wot you is in.
A Bus has more than 8seats. Your'van doesn't.

Strict rules of golf, (my saying) is that it is illegal for a passenger in a 'van to get out of seat that is fitted with seat belt and walk around.
Bad news, it's against the Law. Good news? driver not at fault if passenger is 14yrs old or older. Passenger at fault.
Think I've got that right.

Reactions: DBK

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I think you'll find that no seatbelt only applies to the seat you're in. If you're walking around the offence may be having an insecure or dangerous load.

I don't know about insecure (although she has self doubt occasionally) As for Dangerous, SWMBO ? Too damn right she's dangerous.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
So what we are saying is that, as long as I put the Cruise Control on and Crook lock the Steering wheel straight, on a good bit of motorway, I can get to all the higher up rattles; as Jane is a bit vertically challenged, so long as I don’t crash. :cautious: The only snag I can see with this is that there aren’t any good bits of motorway in the UK and I cannot wait til I get abroad to stop the rattles.:ROFLMAO:
Don't worry you will still be driving better than the poles ,Italians or Portuguese could ever manage (y);)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I

Strict rules of golf, (my saying) is that it is illegal for a passenger in a 'van to get out of seat that is fitted with seat belt and walk around.
Bad news, it's against the Law. Good news? driver not at fault if passenger is 14yrs old or older. Passenger at fault.
Think I've got that right.

But if passenger wasn't originally in a seat with a seat belt , they can move around but what if after they then sit in one with a belt? Or do they have to go back to the one they vacated ?

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Last coach I went on had a hostess bringing drinks & snacks around !?

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
We were travelling in Spain 2 years ago sharing a bag of crisps when my wife said shall we have some cheese and walked to the fridge , on her return a police car pulled alongside and indicated us to pull over . Two policemen checked our documents and our motorhome tyres and tax disc(now not needed) and then announced it was 200 euros for not wearing a seatbelt and also 200 euros for the dog not being harnessed but today we were lucky as he was only giving us a warning . Yes she still get out of her seat on occasions but we are very careful of our surroundings as it can be expensive cheese.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
It may not be too easy to see if anyone is out of their seat unless the viewer is directly in front of us. There is no rear window and the side ones are very high for anyone in a car to see in.
The dogs have harnesses, and they aren't much good at making sandwiches either.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
But if passenger wasn't originally in a seat with a seat belt , they can move around but what if after they then sit in one with a belt? Or do they have to go back to the one they vacated ?

If there is a seat in your 'van that has a seat belt and someone is in the 'van and is not occupying that seat (the one with a seat belt) they commit the offence of not being belted. Please note. THEY commit the offence (ages excepted)
If all the seats in the 'van that have seat belts are occupied, then another passenger may occupy a seat that doesn't have a belt. However I believe there are new? laws relating to the age of the van which would make that an offence also. These laws came out after I gained my freedom from wearing big boots and helmet and I'm sorry I don't have the knowledge relating to dates but sometime in 2014 rings a bell.
Also, a driver would have to make sure that the occupant in the beltless seat was able to be carried in the beltless seat without the 'van being overoccupied for Insurance purposes. ie 4 berth van with five occupants.
In addition to that, if my former colleagues were in a crabby mood, they could have a go at the driver, as previously stated, for insecure or dangerous load but in reality, for one occupant, I think any driver would have the "reasonable man" defence because buses do it all the time ie carry unbelted passengers.
It's one of those, "We do it all the time" but unless something happens or the unbelted passenger waves at a passing Patrol Car, you'll get away with it..

As in all things, just my opinion. Don't call me out at 2am if you fall foul.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I believe there are signs on most buses specifically requesting that you don't do that.

I may be wrong, it's been a while since I've been on one.
Yes, all buses have those signs now. On coaches fitted with belts they have signs saying you must use the belt - but it's virtually impossible given the seat design.

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Do you have these conversations?.......

"Sharp bend to the right coming"