Where do people do for tyres? (2 Viewers)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Did my usual check on road worthiness today, and noticed that the front tyres are getting pretty close to the limit. So time to change them. I've been searching, and it seems that lots of places have the correct size, but as soon as you search for camper tyres, the results go to zero.
There is a tyre place nearby that has camper tyres, but their workshop door isn't big enough to accommodate our van!

How do people on here find a tyre place?

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Did my usual check on road worthiness today, and noticed that the front tyres are getting pretty close to the limit. So time to change them. I've been searching, and it seems that lots of places have the correct size, but as soon as you search for camper tyres, the results go to zero.
There is a tyre place nearby that has camper tyres, but their workshop door isn't big enough to accommodate our van!

How do people on here find a tyre place?
They will probably change them outside the workshop if they are anything like the ones around here.
http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=110&typ=D-112443&partner=1&ID=froogle

You should be able to find fitters locally with the link on the search for a fitter function........good price too if this is your size.

Last edited:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Don`t bother searching for the best deal.... :shake:

I just go to Brian & Jo, members on here, ( @Brian and Jo )who own their own tyre company in or near Oswestry...

Used to search around then after a lot of waisted time, always ended up getting mine from him.. so go straight to him now, and he ships them to any garage I name.. (y)

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
One thing you may want to consider is getting four seasons (the mud and snow tyres)
Lots of threads on here for them
Some even use winter tyres all year too.

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Ring "Tyres On Your Drive" for a quote. This company come to your home with a fully converted tyre fitting van and do literally everything. The prices for Camper Tyres are very competitive. I have used them and can recommend them. Phone number 0147 741 0308 or 0800 433 4829. Their stock levels are very high.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Ring "Tyres On Your Drive" for a quote. This company come to your home with a fully converted tyre fitting van and do literally everything. The prices for Camper Tyres are very competitive. I have used them and can recommend them. Phone number 0147 741 0308 or 0800 433 4829. Their stock levels are very high.
I called them, very good price, but couldn't do my van as it is over 3,500kg :-(

OP
OP
D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Thanks everyone, got a set being delivered by mytyres to a fitter not far from here, price fitted wasn't bad at all.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have an account with a well known tyre manufacturer so

Get full trade price

HAVE to get them fitted at a third party place

I have used all the big well known places in the past ( and paid through the nose for the privilege)
Now I use a small independent who charges me a £50 to change and balance 6 tyres.
Mind you, I am expected to get my hands dirty for that price ! ( chap knows full well I can use a tyre machine as well as the next man so a bit of divided labour works well (y))

Dognewf

Free Member
Nov 4, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
lunar newstar
Exp
1 whole year now
looking currently and best price i can find is Michelin campers 215/70/15/109 at £100.07 from Kwik-Fit if ordered on line.

OP
OP
D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Well they did mine 4250kgs no problem
To be honest, they really annoyed me, I asked at the start of the call whether they could change the tyres on my van which weighs 4 tonnes. But these call centre people can't deviate from their script, went through 10 minutes of questions, eventually he gave me a price and said they could do it if the van was less than 3,500 kg. I told him the weight at the beginning of the conversation lets not forget! So I thanked him for wasting my time, and went on to other suppliers.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Have a look at Asdatyres. They don't supply them but you can choose the fitter to your area.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I used eTyres. They come and fit, however I had a problem in that they fitted rubber valves which split after a short time. Local man replaced with metal ones and no problem since.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I have 8 x ply commercial van tyres fitted, supplied by a local independent used by most of the car/van dealers in P/boro. http://www.apextyres.org.uk/ I have been using them for almost 30 years now.

They are a small family firm, have been in the trade for years, and are very well known in this area.
Our MH is far too tall to fit in their workshop, so it is all done outside, including the tracking, which is done by laser equipment. They can get me any tyre brand I want at a very competitive price. I use winter tyres on the front driving wheels all year round, (they do make a difference re grip) and the current two are coming up to five years old, and due for renewal due to wear. They will be replaced with two Barum Vanis tyres for now, and in October, they'll go on the rear tandem axle (to replace ageing tyres), and two new winter tyres (Bridgestone Blizzaks or Toyo HO9s) will go on the front again.

@DanielFord, too far away for you I know, but others close by may benefit from the info. :) Good luck with your search. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
As @old-mo says at post no. 4. The only place to go to for tyres. So much so that I even drive to his depot in Wales so his merry men can fit them. :)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
As @old-mo says at post no. 4. The only place to go to for tyres. So much so that I even drive to his depot in Wales so his merry men can fit them. :)
Cambridgeshire to Owsestry, is a long way to travel for replacement tyres, as is St Albans, Dorset, or Surrey (OP), but hey, each to their own, eh? ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back