12mm Infill Strip. Tips on fitting please. (1 Viewer)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Hi All,

I've posted here because I couldn't find anywhere else.

When we bought the 'Van one of the things we noticed was that the infill 'rubbing' type strip found at the bottom of the outside walls (before it joins the bottom sill) had shrunk so that there was a gap at either end of each run.

I've bit the bullet and bought the strip to replace them but would appreciate any tips on how to replace them. There are no End Caps so it can't be slid in.

Over to you.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
If it's the Herzim strip type there is a tool availiable

Broken Link Removed

But it can be done without.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
a bucket of hot water to warm and soften the strip before installing will really help

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
There is a special spreader tool which opens the sides and inserts the trim as you draw it along the bead.
Commonly used for old style rubber surrounded windscreen trim.

image.jpg

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Don't see that one working Papa. We're talking aluminium sides, not flexible rubber.
My apologies.

But im sure there is a similar tool that 'folds' the trim insert and presses it in to insert it then it springs back naturally.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
So what is the strip made of? Is it a PVC, rubber or Alli? I'm confused.

Keith

Watch the Vid. Keith.
The flexible strip in my case isn't around the door. It is, if you like, similar to that found in the awning skirt on a caravan. It's cosmetic in my case, (I think) but on a acaravan it hides the screws that hold the awning strips to the side of the caravan.

Regards

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Once you have it in force as much length in as possible then cut it an inch too long. Leave it for as long as possible (at least a week) before finally trimming to correct length. It tends to shrink a little once fitted - probably because it gets stretched when fitting. I just use a blunt screwdriver or a knife from the cutlery tray to fit it.

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
I replaced all mine last year. That was 4 lockers and door trims as the stuff that was in had shrunk and also gone very sticky for some reason. I waited for a hot day and pushed it in with thumbnail. It takes time and your thumbs will be sore afterwards but using a metal object may damage the aluminium channel. I eventually finished mine off in Spain and it was much easier being in the 30's. As previously stated, leave as long as possible and try to push too much in as it will shrink.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back