I'm really trying to give Windows a chance...... (1 Viewer)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
....but Microsoft are making it so hard!
I managed to upgrade a laptop I have, to Windows 10. I gave up trying to ignore the messages asking if I wanted to upgrade.
I only use the laptop to control a telescope and programme some radios I have, I wouldn't trust Windows with anything important.
But, after using it sporadically since I upgraded, it now throws up a critical error every time I startup.
" Windows Start Menu and Cortana are not working, please restart while we try to fix the problem" or something similar.
So, I have to keep restarting and Microsoft doesn't seem to have fixed it.
I have searched online for an answer, lots of people recommending complicated fixes that don't seem to work, so, is there a solution?
I'm afraid my internet connection is very slow at the moment ( using iboost in France on what appears to be a slow connection anyway) so don't have a lot of luck searching for solutions online.
Good job I have my iPad with me to use!
Anybody know of a solution? ( Ken?)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hindsight is a wonderful thing but if you only used the laptop as described why bother to connect it to the Internet at all? Left alone it would have been entirely ignorant of W10.

There is a way to roll back the installation if you are quick.

Then cut its dongles off. :)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
so, is there a solution?

Find Mac software for your telescope and radios?

I have one Windows machine hidden in the corner at work where nobody will ever see it. All it does is act as a print server. Among the 500 things a day it hassles me with are constant pleas to upgrade to Windows 10. Never gonna happen. I'll take it offline first and figure out a cable connection to keep it talking to the real computers.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Find Mac software for your telescope and radios?

I have one Windows machine hidden in the corner at work where nobody will ever see it. All it does is act as a print server. Among the 500 things a day it hassles me with are constant pleas to upgrade to Windows 10. Never gonna happen. I'll take it offline first and figure out a cable connection to keep it talking to the real computers.

I have most things working on my Mac, but there are two programmes I have to use with Windows , one to control a ccd imaging camera and one to programme my handheld radios. Luckily, the radios don't need doing often, but I do need the imaging software so have to use the laptop, plus, it's a Toughbook, so I can use it outside at night in the damp without it getting ruined.
It needs to be connected to the Internet at times too, hence my submission to doing the upgrade........

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Have you updated 10 since you installed it? There have been quite a few big updates.

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Have you updated 10 since you installed it? There have been quite a few big updates.
It's supposed to handle updates automatically, it has done some, but I can't find a Windows Update option like when it was on Win 7.
Mind you, I haven't looked too hard.....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back