Fitting an Extra Leisure Battery (1 Viewer)

Jul 13, 2011
Stoney Stanton
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2010
I currently have a 105 ah lead acid leisure battery fitted to my Pilote motorhome (together with 120 watt solar panel). I am looking to add a second battery, i know i have to fit the same "type" of battery but do i have to fit one with the same output? Is the fitting just a case of linking the new battery to the previous one in "parallel" or is it more complicated than that?

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi short answer is NOPE(y) NOT COMPLICATED :LOL:your van charger a solar control panel will only "see" one larger battery
terry

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
What can make a difference is battery age.
As a battery gets older it loses some efficiency thus lowering the charge state and how long it can remain charged.

When this happens it can pull down the efficiency of the new battery by trying to charge itself from the new one, making both slightly underpowered.

Make and size dont matter....chemistry (lead acid...gell etc) and age do.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
and please rember to connect to the other battery with suitable cabling

Melvin

Free Member
Jan 22, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
On & off since 1974
I'm also considering fitting a second batt as well , my MH has a space next to the existing one for a second . Does anyone know of any fitting kits. ie cables cut to size and clamps and if so where I can get them .

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I'm also considering fitting a second batt as well , my MH has a space next to the existing one for a second . Does anyone know of any fitting kits. ie cables cut to size and clamps and if so where I can get them .
I got mine from ebay. 25mm cable is the minimum you want. Do it in red or black. Comes in standard lengths with connectors or clamps, or you can buy it by the metre and make your own up with clamps and connectors that you can also buy on ebay.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Big cable is a better job but not essential if you fit fuses to protect it. Probably about the same cost in parts.

Here a typical battery connector with tap offs. As said above everything is easily found on ebay

I prefer this type of battery as it has dual terminals giving more options

SAFETY WARNING with large cable and no fuses it is absolutely essential that you don't allow a +ve & -ve contact each other

CA_11081517510469-L.jpg

Last edited:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Neither respondent has said they plan to use an inverter? Most motorhomes would never exceed 40 amps in normal use.
Yes if using an inverter you need to use cable big enough for the maximum possible current. My inverter draws from four batteries so yes impractical to put fuses everywhere hence the need for extreme caution when playing about as there will be a BIG bang if you create a short. I use 35mm welding cable that the manufacturer claims 290 amps for (Elland Flex)

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Autotrail use a separate harness to each battery all the way from the Sargent panel probably 4mm at best. A most stupid design

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few timesšŸ˜‰
I'd like to add a 2nd 110amp leisure battery the present one is 12months old.

I already have a 1000w inverter & 140w solar fitted.
Would there be any issues with the on board Sargent charger or can I just connect the new battery with a 25mm fused cable?

robdav

Free Member
Aug 30, 2018
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2000
I currently have a 105 ah lead acid leisure battery fitted to my Pilote motorhome (together with 120 watt solar panel). I am looking to add a second battery, i know i have to fit the same "type" of battery but do i have to fit one with the same output? Is the fitting just a case of linking the new battery to the previous one in "parallel" or is it more complicated than that?

Hi Petros, sounds like I have a similar setup on our Pilote motorhome. I'm looking to fit a second leisure battery as well. Can I ask what you went for in the end? Thanks.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back