Carthago continuously on EHU or not? (1 Viewer)

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
The van is fitted with a CBE 516 charger, two 85 amp AGM leisure batteries and of course the vehicle battery. With previous vans I have always left it plugged in and charging when it is "resting" on our drive. They all had Sargent power supplies and no harm came to the batteries but with this CBE I can't decide whether to do the same as the instructions are not clear to me.

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
Hi Dorset Driver
We have the CBE panel on our van and leave it plugged in all the time - if you are on a site you would have it plugged in all the time aswell?

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
@SteveandSue. Thanks for your reply. I agree with your logic and have been leaving it plugged up I just don't want to damage the batteries.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
The CBE charger will maintain your batteries perfectly.
However, it might be worth disconnecting the EHU lead and taking off the front cover of the charger.
Inside is a Gel/PB switch. It needs to be switched to gel to best suit your batteries.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I've got a Carthago Chic and would be happy to leave on EHU permanently. We don't need to as we have solar panels

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
We also have a 140w SP but I like to leave the heating set to 5C to prevent freezing which means leaving the EHU connected.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We also have a 140w SP but I like to leave the heating set to 5C to prevent freezing which means leaving the EHU connected.
I drain ours down between trips in the winter - and refill just before we go away, with the heating on 20, so everything is toasty before we head off.
Different strokes for different folks I guess

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I drain ours down between trips in the winter - and refill just before we go away, with the heating on 20, so everything is toasty before we head off.
Different strokes for different folks I guess
Really? Have never left heating on in a van in 25 years......

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The CBE charger will maintain your batteries perfectly.
However, it might be worth disconnecting the EHU lead and taking off the front cover of the charger.
Inside is a Gel/PB switch. It needs to be switched to gel to best suit your batteries.
(y) page 2 English page 5
Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
In Somerset it is quite unusual for the temperature to drop very low so the frost setting rare kicks in. As for heating the van prior to arrival at site we have an engine heat exchanger that works well.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Slightly OT you have AGM batteries but you charger is not suitable for AGM, if you rely on your batteries you would be wise to change them for either wet cell batteries or gel's. I speak from experience having recently had a pair of AGM's fail after 18 months.
Might be worth contacting CBE to see if there is a mod available for the charger.

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Slightly OT you have AGM batteries but you charger is not suitable for AGM, if you rely on your batteries you would be wise to change them for either wet cell batteries or gel's. I speak from experience having recently had a pair of AGM's fail after 18 months.
Might be worth contacting CBE to see if there is a mod available for the charger.
Lenny, was it established without doubt that it was your charger that caused your AGM's to fail? I ask as it seems strange that Carthago would put them in as original equipment if the charger was not suitable.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
All the information on the WWW says to treat AGM's as sealed lead acid or maintenance free as the required charging voltages are pretty much alike.
https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/articles/charging-articles/how-do-i-pick-a-battery-charger.html

Flooded:

This is the traditional engine start, tractor and deep cycle style battery. The liquid electrolyte is free to move in the cell compartment. The user has access to the individual cells and can add distilled water as the battery dries out. Popular uses are engine starting and deep cycle designs.

Typical absorption voltage range 14.4 to 14.9 volts, typical float voltage range 13.1 to 13.4 volts.

- See more at: https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/art...k-a-battery-charger.html#sthash.alJcch3R.dpuf

AGM:

The Absorbed Glass Matt construction allows the electrolyte to be suspended in close proximity with the plates active material. In theory, this enhances both the discharge and recharge efficiency. Actually, the AGM batteries are a variant of Sealed VRLA batteries, just a more advanced design. Popular usage includes high performance engine starting, power sports, deep cycle, solar and storage battery.

Typical absorption voltage range 14.4 to 15.0 volts, typical float voltage range 13.2 to 13.8 volts.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Lenny, was it established without doubt that it was your charger that caused your AGM's to fail? I ask as it seems strange that Carthago would put them in as original equipment if the charger was not suitable.
Most German manufacturers have been doing it for a few years, if you look on the German forums loads of posts of Banner & Varta AGM's failing due to incorrect charging. Hymer have been fitting AGM's since around 2012 and have only just started to fit a suitable charger.
IMO AGM's are a waste of time in a Motorhome, when I got my new van the AGM's didn't appear to perform very well. I have now replaced them with Gel's the difference in performance was very noticeable.

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
I park our Carthago I149 at a local farm with all water drained and power switched off at the panel. I bring it home very 6 weeks for an overnight on EHU before taking it back to the farm. Stopped using it in early December and planning to start again next weekend so I only brought it home twice over the winter.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back