Groundsheet, Carpet, or What? (1 Viewer)

Mr Mike

Free Member
Mar 5, 2016
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Coach built Hymer
Exp
Absolute beginner
Hi All, we have not taken delivery of our first motorhome yet (1st April !!), we are at the serious shopping stage. What do you recommend for putting on the grass / hardstanding to step on and off when entering your MH?

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
We have a doormat its plastic and has a stiff bristles works well but best solution is to take shoes off before entering van keep crocs by hab door leave shoes under van in box everybody happy :)

Upvote 0
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
image.jpg
We have an AstroTurf step cover which has been very effective

And also an AstroTurf mat
image.jpg

We also have a strict policy of removing outdoor shoes when entering the van - we have crocs for inside, even when driving

Keeps the van much cleaner for longer

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
@Robert Clark and @mike mcglynn I follow the croc philosophy approach too (and love them!) but my 2 daughters loathe them ! And always make derisory comments when I wear them!! Useful bit of kit for the van! And flip-flops for campsites showers!!
Use a small rubber backed door mat that can be washed ,on the ground . Have seen many left at sites and aires ! Although not supposed to be used on aires some are so muddy /dusty we have used ours!:sneaky:

Upvote 0
Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Hi All, we have not taken delivery of our first motorhome yet (1st April !!), we are at the serious shopping stage. What do you recommend for putting on the grass / hardstanding to step on and off when entering your MH?
Buying all the stuff you'll never use - we've all been there (y)
Only a third of what we took out of our last MH went into the new one. I took the executive decision that we didn't really need 16 dinner plates, 14 cups and 14 side plates - the wife disagreed, so a lot of the damn stuff is still in the garage. o_O
So top tip - wait till you've been out in your MH a few times before committing to filling it full of "essentials" ;)

We have dogs, so our floors / carpets are covered in "vet bed". Looks like rug, but is very hardy and can just be chucked in the washing machine - and it's cheap

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
We have AstroTurf steps too (attached to the electric steps) but after only a few trips in the moho (bought a month ago) there are already chunks missing. Wondering if we are being too hard on them? We are only wiping our shoes as you would on a doormat.

Upvote 0
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We have left them out overnight many times! And surprisingly never been stolen!:LOL:;)

Have you ever considered that your choice of shoes may not be the same as other people's ?

image.jpeg

Upvote 0

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Have you ever considered that your choice of shoes may not be the same as other people's ?

View attachment 96090
You ve stolen them from me!!

I forgot we have a breathable ground sheet we put down on grass or sand on campsites which is useful if staying more than 2 nights it can be swept and keeps some sand out of the van!!

Upvote 0

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
My wife has a plastic doormat she puts down as we're hardly ever more than one night in any spot. However, in caravan parks where you might be there a few days and the ground is soil or grass, it is common practice to use a strong groundsheet outside. As always, what you need to carry is dictated by the camping practices you intend to embrace, and the storage capabilities of your motorhome.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mr Mike

Mr Mike

Free Member
Mar 5, 2016
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Coach built Hymer
Exp
Absolute beginner
Thanks for some good tips guys, We had thought about a breathable groundsheet - I think at some point we will get a drive away awning so it would be dual purpose. The astro turf is worth looking at too and crocks are a definite. Thanks Gizmouk, we will not go too mad, we are conscious that we have to stay within the payload - both a bit overweight, I remarked today that the less lard we carry ourselves the more we can put in the fridge (or wine for that matter) :LOL:

Upvote 0

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We have a 5 foot by 4 foot piece of Astro turf which is quite useful for leaving shoes on and an old towel on the step dries you feet to go inside, but you have to remember that whatever you put on the ground will get wet when it rains so you need a plan for that, we roll up the Astro turf and stand in in a small bucket in the garage and tie it back to the wall so if it is wet the bucket catches it all and the worms!

Martin

Upvote 0

ronidog1

Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
View attachment 96075 We have an AstroTurf step cover which has been very effective

And also an AstroTurf mat
View attachment 96076

We also have a strict policy of removing outdoor shoes when entering the van - we have crocs for inside, even when driving

Keeps the van much cleaner for longer

How do you attach the mat to the step? plus where did you get the mat?

Thanks

Dave

Upvote 0

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
We use a Moroccan mat and a doormat ,works for us .we are mostly on hard standing.(y)
Brian & Jo

Upvote 0

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I cut a piece of astro turf just enough to wrap around the step then I made holes with small screwdriver blade and fitted zip ties along the length underneath the step. I fitted about 5-6 zip ties slack and when all were fitted I pulled them tight and cut excess zip ties off, it's been fitted 2 years now and never moved.

John.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have a rubber backed doormat which we use inside the habitation (ie sliding) door that way we wipe our feet as we go in and if it rains it doesn't matter as the mat's inside! Don't get an astroturf mat if you have dogs ... ours hate them!

Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Like others, we have astro turf stuff on the steps held on with cable zip ties, and a Moroccan mat outside the van which is very good, light to carry, rain goes right through, under foot stays clean, though I would say it pays to get a good quality mat.

Upvote 0
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
We have a rubber backed doormat which we use inside the habitation (ie sliding) door that way we wipe our feet as we go in and if it rains it doesn't matter as the mat's inside!
Snap.

We also (both) have wooden floors, which just need a brush to keep clean, so have no need to be paranoid about keeping carpets clean. The idea of shoes on & off every time I go through the door would drive me nuts - especially when carrying things. I am frequently parked in places where leaving shoes outside is not an option.

If it's very very wet outside, I will take my boots of once I am inside, standing on the mat, out of the rain.

Upvote 0

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
We have a rubber backed doormat which we use inside the habitation (ie sliding) door that way we wipe our feet as we go in and if it rains it doesn't matter as the mat's inside! Don't get an astroturf mat if you have dogs ... ours hate them!

My wife says that I'm a doormat.

John.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Having the mat inside also means that if the shoes are wet and we decide to take them off they can stay on it whilst they dry. Last thing I want to do if it's raining and we're leaving it so mess about trying to put a wet (and probably mucky) mat somewhere!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back