Free Member
Feb 25, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
low profile coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
I'm thinking about getting the paint protection and internal stain guard for our new motorhome. Wondered what you all thoughtand if it's worthwhile.

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Hello @Skyron and welcome.

Great to have another Essex motorhomer. We're quite thin on the ground!

Out of the two, I would probably just choose the internal stain guard, although I never had either with my new van. It depends upon the occupants and usage really. If you've got kids or a dog, then it's probably not a bad idea. If there's only the two of you and you're not normally clumsy, it should be ok.

A lot of dealerships offer paint protection - not only with motorhomes, but with new cars too. There's a big kick-back to the dealership from the product supplier and 'paint protection' ain't cheap!

Would be interesting to know what you decided.
Regards
James

Upvote 0

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
Not sure if it makes any difference (yet) but I had the upholstery Scotchgarded on my new motorhome last July.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
The paint protection that the dealers offer is a two pack product such as diamond brite amongst others , to physically protect your MH against stone chips then you need something like Paintshield , Paintshield is not cheap but it does work.

Upvote 0

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
The paint protection that the dealers offer is a two pack product such as diamond brite amongst others , to physically protect your MH against stone chips then you need something like Paintshield , Paintshield is not cheap but it does work.
Had paintshield on my khizzie from new .paintwork still bright and just the odd chip on bonnet .not bad for ten years old. Would recommend it..but as said it isnt cheap .as for internal with scotchguard its ok ,but do it yourselves.its only takes half an hour and the stuff costs less than a tenner a,spray can ....Roy

Upvote 0

Steve devon

Free Member
Sep 7, 2014
North devon
Funster No
MH
Adria sonic supreme
Exp
Since 2015
I was talking to a body shop man, and I expressed the thought that you may as well p##s on it as use these products,I'm saying nothing was his reply

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Totally different from what I found.but hey I have only had it on test for the last ten years ,probably not long enough for me to recommend it..
But you are writing from your experience not what somebody down the pub told you, I believe ours was also done with something similar but as we got it used I don't know what, but what I do know is that it cleans up lovely and the front fibreglass is the same colour as the rest of the body which I have noticed is not the case with a few other Flairs that I have seen of a similar age (10 years).

So possibly it does work.

Martin

Upvote 0

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
My car was treated with Diamond Brite, not impressed, think it was a waste of money.
Allow plenty of time for ventilation if you have the upholstery/ carpets treated. The chemical smell is initially very strong. Took a few days to dissipate.
I did have house sofas Scotchguard treated years ago and I do think it helped to keep the covers looking good.

Upvote 0

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Don't know anything about diamondbrite in fact never heard of it .my van was done by Paintshield and in my opinion money well spent..if anyone wishes to have a look for the selves you are more than welcome to stop over and look or see it at any meet I am at.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Our cars were done with one of these preparations (different ones) and SWMBO impression is that it was good on her car (does 2000 miles a year, mainly to Tesco) but a bit of a waste on my LandRover which does a lot more mileage and gets muddy.
In neither case did we pay for it as such, it was just included in the bargaining.

Upvote 0

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
The stuff that comes out of a tin and the film used by paintshield is quite different ,Paintshield is the name of the company, the product that is used is a ultra thin film that stops your vehicles paint getting chiped by stones etc thrown up by another cars tyres. I at this point declare an interest in painshield, i came up with the name in a Chinese restaurant in Lincolnshire and invested money in the business.
The film that is used to stop your vehicle getting chipped has its origins in the aerospace industry,the original concept was used to stop the carbon fiber rotor blades of the Apachie helicopter being shredded by sand etc
The latest film is quite amazing,i have it on my merc ,the merc has done 160,000 miles since new and there are no chips on it , if you have light scratches on the film,simply pour hand hot water onto it and they dissapear.
I intend to have it put on my MH.

The stuff that dealers sell you as paint protection is a two part product , i can source it at around £30.00 , dealers sell it at a huge mark up usually something like £350.00 for a car that takes a man half a day to do

Upvote 0

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Interesting post LOD, can you tell me if it's flexible enough to apply on motor homes and caravans?.

Upvote 0

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Think I made,a boo boo the name of the product on khizzie is "Paintseal" not "Paintshield" ..however its a great coating that has lasted ..after @FJmike gave khizzie a good clean she came up like new.

Upvote 0

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Interesting post LOD, can you tell me if it's flexible enough to apply on motor homes and caravans?.
yes its flexible enough to apply to complex shapes ,im going to have the front of my MH done not sure about having the whole 8 meters done as the cost will be prohibitive. The main market for the product is high value cars such as McLarens,ferraris, etc etc ,the film is cut using a graphtech plotter,instead of a pen it has a diamond tipped cutting tool that cuts the shape out of a roll of the film, it is applied using a solution that allows it to be slid and stretched into place and the edges are then sealed.

My plan is to have the front of my A class done and to use a good quality wax on the rest of it

if you look up paintshield dot co dot uk you can find the web site

Upvote 0

Steve devon

Free Member
Sep 7, 2014
North devon
Funster No
MH
Adria sonic supreme
Exp
Since 2015
Totally different from what I found.but hey I have only had it on test for the last ten years ,probably not long enough for me to recommend it..
But if you hadn't had it done what would it be like, would you ever know? The guy I spoke to was not a man down the pub, he was the foreman of a motor home body shop. I had ours done with glam shield, inside was good , outside was never worth it £350 !!, never again

Upvote 0

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
But if you hadn't had it done what would it be like, would you ever know? The guy I spoke to was not a man down the pub, he was the foreman of a motor home body shop. I had ours done with glam shield, inside was good , outside was never worth it £350 !!, never again
Steve (1) I didn't say anything about you talking to a man in the pub . Please read my post . (2) had my van done 10 yrs ago ,and its like new. ,so don't need to even think what it would be like if it hadn't.(3) mine didn't cost me £350 it cost £600 .ten years ago ..think about it .if you want the best you pay for it...Roy

Reactions: f6c
Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Skyron

Free Member
Feb 25, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
low profile coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
A lot of mixed opinions there. I'll probably get the inside scotch guarded and the outside I'll wax with Collinite 476s.

Upvote 0
Oct 20, 2014
Wicklow Town, Ireland
Funster No
MH
2020 Avantgarde 175
Exp
A good few years
We all have a right to our opinions so here's mine..... I do bodywork and paint for a living, If I had a Euro for every customer who presents their vehicle to me for stonechip repairs to front bumpers I'd be very rich:rolleyes:......They all famously quote..." I cant understand how the paintwork got chipped like that....I paid dearly for paint protection system when buying it new?? ".....

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
yes its flexible enough to apply to complex shapes ,im going to have the front of my MH done not sure about having the whole 8 meters done as the cost will be prohibitive. The main market for the product is high value cars such as McLarens,ferraris, etc etc ,the film is cut using a graphtech plotter,instead of a pen it has a diamond tipped cutting tool that cuts the shape out of a roll of the film, it is applied using a solution that allows it to be slid and stretched into place and the edges are then sealed.

My plan is to have the front of my A class done and to use a good quality wax on the rest of it

if you look up paintshield dot co dot uk you can find the web site
That's very interesting, it is an actual film applied to the vehicle - a sort of high tech Fablon. :)

Upvote 0

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
We all have a right to our opinions so here's mine..... I do bodywork and paint for a living, If I had a Euro for every customer who presents their vehicle to me for stonechip repairs to front bumpers I'd be very rich:rolleyes:......They all famously quote..." I cant understand how the paintwork got chipped like that....I paid dearly for paint protection system when buying it new?? ".....
Paint protection as you well know is not the same as stone chip protection and that was not the theme of the thread ..i agree there is very little on the market to protect from stone chips. .so I stand by my original statement as regards paintseal on my van. Roy.

Upvote 0

Steve devon

Free Member
Sep 7, 2014
North devon
Funster No
MH
Adria sonic supreme
Exp
Since 2015
Steve (1) I didn't say anything about you talking to a man in the pub . Please read my post . (2) had my van done 10 yrs ago ,and its like new. ,so don't need to even think what it would be like if it hadn't.(3) mine didn't cost me £350 it cost £600 .ten years ago ..think about it .if you want the best you pay for it...Roy
Roy l bought what was offered , glam shield and I stand by my statement of it being rubbish on the exterior, I'm no expert , maybe I should of researched it better , but there is more to life, of all the statements here I thinkSkyron has the best idea, colinite 476 and scotch guard , cheaper too but as you say , you get what you pay for

Upvote 0

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
That's very interesting, it is an actual film applied to the vehicle - a sort of high tech Fablon. :)
Its a three layer film,it has UV stabilisers in it and is stretched into place , im not sure of the chemical composition, it is used on a great many cars in areas that are prone to stone chipping , i.e. wheel arches

Upvote 0

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Best to do the sums £xxxxxx for an exterior protection that may or may not work or last OR annual coat of Colly wax which will work and if it doesn't last you put another coat of wax on. Not too sure about scotch guard either

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
@Charlie will be able to comment on protection as he's a valeter ... er ... detailer!!! :rolleyes:

Personally I wouldn't bother with either - the interior treatment is just the workshop staff getting an aerosol of the stuff, taking the furnishings (cushions etc) out and spraying them all, then any other 'fixed' fabric bits inside (if they bother at all!) ... my SIL use to own a furniture shop with her hubby and it was a nice little earner for them - charge the customer at least 20 times the cost of the actual product, about 30 mins work max and that's it.

If you want to protect your interior just buy the product and do it yourself (test on an out of the way patch first).

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back