LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
ABSOLUTELY FURIOUS !!!!! Someone has actually drilled into our driver side door lock, drilled out our ignition and attempted to hotwire ourvan !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Unbelievable !!! Luckily cldn't move the van at all to steal it and didn't damage anything inside. What a potch now to get all repaired !! Can't even touch til police have been. Anyone got the growler or similar they can recommend ? Or door clamps etc to prevent in future ? Even a cam of sorts ?

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Growler with a non starter option is probably the best anti theft solution on the market
It has flashing external led's
Internal and external sirens if doors are opened
Non starter imobises the ignition
Plus it will report vehicle position if moved
@eddievanbitz is the Motorhome security 'daddy'

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
ive just had the confirmation from Otto Von Bitz that we are booked in for a growler alarm ,we have gone for the growler with the text message immobiliser and a cat 6 tracker on top of that all of the lockers will have Thule locks as an additional feature ,nothing is 100 % theft proof ,but we decided on the best system available

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Oh ratsssss. What a PITA and also in the neck.

At home, or out somewhere?

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Growler with a non starter option is probably the best anti theft solution on the market
It has flashing external led's
Internal and external sirens if doors are opened
Non starter imobises the ignition
Plus it will report vehicle position if moved
@eddievanbitz is the Motorhome security 'daddy'
Thank you very much. Been trying to ring vanbitz but no answer. Assuming probably closed this time on a weekend :(

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
if it were me, i would sleep in the van until its repaired and a decent alarm and immobiliser fitted. a quick and dirty trick to stop the engine being started is to remove the diesel pump relay. could also cut the feed to it and fit a hidden switch
standard van locks are too easy to get open. look to the commercial van security suppliers to find reinforced locks

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Sorry you have had such an awful thing happen, where did it happen? so glad they didn't succeed.

Lynne
Thank you. I know, we're trying to be positive, they didn't smash anything inside and the van is still here so that's a big relief. Just emailed re Growler advice and fitting. !!!

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
if it were me, i would sleep in the van until its repaired and a decent alarm and immobiliser fitted. a quick and dirty trick to stop the engine being started is to remove the diesel pump relay. could also cut the feed to it and fit a hidden switch
standard van locks are too easy to get open. look to the commercial van security suppliers to find reinforced locks
This was a commercial van originally. Will look into this and try and find some in the SE Wales area. Thank you.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Sorry to hear that thank goodness they didn't succeed .i hope you can get your security done ASAP .

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
In the short term why not remove the steering wheel

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Most of the motorhoming community are nice people.... MOST of them.

When my habitation door window was stolen in a bid to enter my last van, the young bikers from Bath Chew Valley campsite put me a secure cover on which lasted years. (The attempted theft was from Michael Woods Service station.)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Why on earth did the potential thief try to hot-wire a modern vehicle? Without a connection to the diagnostic port (and the equipment and knowledge to use it) or the van key, hot-wiring wouldn't do a great deal.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
There is another thing you can do, disconnect the exciter wire from the starter solenoid (it's the small one on a spade joint). Even with the key, the ignition will go on, but the engine will not start.

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
We've been and bought a half decent clamp for peace of mind. Contacted Vanbitz so hopefully get something sorted soon. Police taking prints tomorrow morning, then it's getting it towed off to have ignition replaced. Such a pain. For tonight, Jumbo is sandwiched between our two cars. Neighbour said was a right old amateur job, said no way could they hotwire from under the interior dashboard and looks like immobiliser kicked in anyway. It's made us think tho and certainly helped our decision to get a good alarm system in.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I second the recommendation for deadlocks.

I have independent deadlocks fitted and can say without a shadow of a doubt that they enhance security a lot. A thief will see them and realise they will have to climb in and out through windows as these things are bloody solid. They won't be able to remove them easily if at all, so selling the vehicle on will be a pain and require a lot of work. Breaking in to steal stuff is hard as well. They would have to climb in through a broken window and back out the same way. They run the risk of getting trapped inside. They are a cowardly bunch and will move onto another vehicle in my opinion.

(y) for deadlocks.

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Grommet, what sort of deadlocks? From where?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid

Grommet, what sort of deadlocks? From where?
in the link I posted, type depends on the base van but a basic deadbolt with decent lock is about £100 a door
fiat/peugeot van locks also need protector plates to stop a thief breaking in using a sharpened screwdriver punched through the paper thin steel of the door

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back