LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Sorry for the new post my phone wouldn't let me do a search.

Can I tether abroad using the 3 network on £20 pay as you go.

I want to use the sim in my unlocked phone and tether a mac and maybe an ipad to the phone.

The customer advisor suggested unofficially it can be done but couldn't sell the sim saying yes.

Help please
Regards confused from Cheltenham

Deleted User
We have a contract phone that you cannot tether with.

And a PAYG mifi that you can obviously tether to.

Dunno if that helps you or not!!

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Theoretically if it's a data only sim then tethering is not a problem but if it's a phone sim with data allowance then tethering is not allowed.

There are various reports from people who do manage to tether to their phone sim with no problems, those who manage to do so for a short while before 3 cuts them off and those who are just not able to.

If you definitely want to tether with 3 then the best solution is a data only sim with a mifi.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009

I want to use the sim in my unlocked phone and tether a mac and maybe an ipad to the phone.

The customer advisor suggested unofficially it can be done but couldn't sell the sim saying yes.

Help please

I have a monthly contract with 3 for my I phone and all free and unlimited except max 12gb for tethering in the UK for £32 per month but I cannot tether anywhere outside the UK so I think the phone sim card is only for tethering in UK but I get all free in France Spain Italy Scandinavia so perfect for me suggest you get a mifi to be able to connect with in Europe
Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Theoretically if it's a data only sim then tethering is not a problem but if it's a phone sim with data allowance then tethering is not allowed.

There are various reports from people who do manage to tether to their phone sim with no problems, those who manage to do so for a short while before 3 cuts them off and those who are just not able to.

If you definitely want to tether with 3 then the best solution is a data only sim with a mifi.

ETA - for clarity this is for abroad, for the UK a certain amount of tethering is permitted on some contracts (mine is unlimited data on the phone and 4GB tethering to other devices)

Hmm, thought I was editing not quoting - never mind

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Tethering a phone sim outside UK will not work
A data sim in a MIFI will work fine, even on pay as you go as your data allowance is usable abroad

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Thanks for the replies.

I wanted to tether pay as you go to the phone outside the uk.

Looks like the only option is a data only sim then and ill have to buy a MIFI and the payg 3 sim as I can use in HK NZ and Aus.

Think I might get a couple of payg sims for the phones for when I get lost and the wife needs to find me :D

We can then use FaceTime or whatsapp to call the uk.

Unless someone has any better ideas.

Thanks from less confused of Cheltenham :)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008

Help please
Not sure - I have a mobile sim only contract with "all you can eat" data which allows tethering up to 12gb a month. I cannot see anything in my contract that using it in the "feel at home" countries will not continue to let me tether. If I can't, will just have to upload and download stuff on the phone when abroad

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Not sure - I have a mobile sim only contract with "all you can eat" data which allows tethering up to 12gb a month. I cannot see anything in my contract that using it in the "feel at home" countries will not continue to let me tether. If I can't, will just have to upload and download stuff on the phone when abroad
Says you cannot here: http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Phones/Feel_At_Home

Aug 19, 2010
trawden lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I have a contract 3 sim tethering worked in the USA u til Thursday but only to 4G not the unlimited amount data that I have got.
Hope this helps
Joyce

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Do I have to get a 3 mifi I don't seem to be able to find one that is unlocked.

Struggling with 3 payg data sim as well.

Ta Rich

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Hi Minxy

Thanks for that

Daft question your link shows what looks to be ee do you know if you can wander with these

Had a quick look on the web site but couldn't see anything.

Is this only an online offer.

Sorry to be a pain I never seem to decipher these things.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi Minxy

Thanks for that

Daft question your link shows what looks to be ee do you know if you can wander with these
I've not looked into the cost of using the EE sim abroad but I expect it would be expensive. Best to buy a '3' data sim and use that.

Had a quick look on the web site but couldn't see anything.

Is this only an online offer.
No - apparently it is available in stores but some don't have stock, as it's free delivery you might as well order it on line.

Sorry to be a pain I never seem to decipher these things.
Its the MIFI that's the important thing - it will cost you just £20 and then you can buy a data sim from whoever you want to use in it - just use the EE sim in the UK for a month (if you need to) and then bin it (don't forget to cancel it immediately though!)

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Your a star

I take it it can't be locked to a network then

Thanks Rich

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Your a star

I take it it can't be locked to a network then

Thanks Rich
Definitely unlocked ... I've bought a few and they have all been unlocked already ... Carphone Warehouse must have a job-lot of MIFIs and are just selling them as a package with the sims from various providers.

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Thanks

Im just trying to find out if I can just get one from a local store instead of online.

Will post up when I find out.

OP
OP
Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Thanks again you little Minx :)

Tried to get through to my local store what a waste of time grrr.

Ordered online as I contacted Carphone with online chat and delivery would be the same for store collection or to the house apparently.

Minxy

Did you phone them to cancel and was it within an hour or so.
Was it a free phone number if so can you point me in the correct direction.

Sorry to be a pain think I will owe you a drink after this :D

Thanks Rich

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Full details on this thread - look at my post #31 for the phone number etc.

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum...arphone-warehouse-for-£20-quick.126123/page-2

You don't have to wait until the MIFI arrives to cancel the sim contract as they'll have the info you supplied when you ordered on line (bank account etc) so you can ring them tomorrow if you want, if not then ring them as soon as you get the MIFI and the sim.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back