Carglass (autoglass) (1 Viewer)

May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
Yesterday we pulled up for lunch at a service station off the A66 Salamanca to Caceres road and when we finished I sat at the wheel and in front of me was a crack in the windscreen about 20cm in length which was not there when we stopped.
We made our way to Plasencia camp site from where I contacted Carglass Spain via internet and booked an appointment at Caceres. Within the hour I had a telephone call from Carglass and they asked a few questions about the vehicle, VIN, make etc and could I send them a picture of the front of the vehicle to make sure that it was the vehicle I was talking about (they thought it was an 'A' class). They also asked me for my insurance details and said they woud contact my insurer in France for permission to go ahead with the job and they would get back to me. I got a call about 15 minutes later from Carglass France who wanted to know if there was any excess on my policy, No.. After another 1/2 hour I got a call back from Autoglass Spain who confirmed that the job was approved and could I get to their Caceres branch at 10.00am this morning, no problem.

Here I am now sat at Caceres ACSI site with a new windscreen and no hassle after a three hour replacement and my thanks go to Carglass for their help and professionalism throughout the process.

Pictures of crack in screen (not very clear) &
20160303_154612.jpg
20160304_110631.jpg
20160304_110654.jpg
windscreen removed.

Steve

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Great to hear good reports for services rendered. Well done to you for posting details.

Bryan

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Well your insurers must have more clout with Carglass in Spain than Comfort do. We got a crack in our windscreen in Spain (repairable I think) and after several phone calls to Comfort asking for someone to repair it before it cracked any further and a couple of days wait we were called back by Autoglass and told that Carglass don't cover this in Spain. Maybe it's because we have an A class and therefore a very big windscreen but they were adamant that nothing could be done. Fortunately the crack has not spread so we will have it done when we get back to the UK.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 27, 2013
Portglenone, Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum185GT
Exp
Since July 2012
Looks like yours is an X250 Ducato. My screen cracked last year & it travelled for about 12-15" diagonally down from near the mirror. Autoglass were very prompt in coming out to replace BUT they had to take off the plastic scuttle trim which is stuck to the screen with (basically) double-sided tape. I noticed after they had gone that the tape hadn't re-stuck & rain water was coming past it all over the engine bay & fuse box. Temp fix was to use electrical tape to hold it to the screen & then get a new fixing tape from Fiat. Check yours is OK.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
They often break the scuttle fixing clips but should replace and reseal as you said.
My screen fitted by autoglass here is so badly fitted it makes a lot of noise in a head wind.

OP
OP
elamessa
May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
Looks like yours is an X250 Ducato. My screen cracked last year & it travelled for about 12-15" diagonally down from near the mirror. Autoglass were very prompt in coming out to replace BUT they had to take off the plastic scuttle trim which is stuck to the screen with (basically) double-sided tape. I noticed after they had gone that the tape hadn't re-stuck & rain water was coming past it all over the engine bay & fuse box. Temp fix was to use electrical tape to hold it to the screen & then get a new fixing tape from Fiat. Check yours is OK.
They put new clips on when they returned the scuttle. The only place that I will get water ingress is at join in the middle of scuttle as I can now see the gap which I had sealed. Luckily enough I use an external screen and the water usually runs down the outside of that and onto the bonnet and away. I will reseal the scuttle when I return home. Hopefully we wont get too much rain in southern spain.

One thing I have noticed is that I cant close the internal screen because the rear view mirror mount is about an inch lower than the original so the cut out in the front blinds dont match up... Could always remove the mirror as its a bit pointless!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
elamessa
May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
Well your insurers must have more clout with Carglass in Spain than Comfort do. We got a crack in our windscreen in Spain (repairable I think) and after several phone calls to Comfort asking for someone to repair it before it cracked any further and a couple of days wait we were called back by Autoglass and told that Carglass don't cover this in Spain. Maybe it's because we have an A class and therefore a very big windscreen but they were adamant that nothing could be done. Fortunately the crack has not spread so we will have it done when we get back to the UK.
I think you were informed wrongly as when we were in the depot at Caceres they were repairing chips on both cars and a 7.5 ton truck..and an excellent job they did as well.
You must have been unlucky.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back