Possible Gaslow Fault? (1 Viewer)

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Pulled into our usually station to top off our Gaslows and had a problem. The van is new to us and the new R67 twin Gaslow cylinders were fitted by the seller. This was the first time I had filled them. Connected the pump as normal and added about 20 litres. Dropped the lever and went to disconnect but instead of the usual quick pressure release gas kept pouring out. At a guess a non-return valve had stuck open. Eventually something changed and the flow stopped, got the filler disconnected checked the gauges and both cylinders were showing full. Will not be able to try again for a while but wondered if this is a common problem.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
:( Crumbs. I am gonna watch with interest... I havn't filled mine up yet and am really nervous. Can I ask how quickly your monitor go down? I have had heating on day and night for two days but the lever hasn't moved from full.. Is this normal? I would have thought I would have used enough gas to show some movement.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Pulled into our usually station to top off our Gaslows and had a problem. The van is new to us and the new R67 twin Gaslow cylinders were fitted by the seller. This was the first time I had filled them. Connected the pump as normal and added about 20 litres. Dropped the lever and went to disconnect but instead of the usual quick pressure release gas kept pouring out. At a guess a non-return valve had stuck open. Eventually something changed and the flow stopped, got the filler disconnected checked the gauges and both cylinders were showing full. Will not be able to try again for a while but wondered if this is a common problem.
I would phone gaslow directly

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
:( Crumbs. I am gonna watch with interest... I havn't filled mine up yet and am really nervous. Can I ask how quickly your monitor go down? I have had heating on day and night for two days but the lever hasn't moved from full.. Is this normal? I would have thought I would have used enough gas to show some movement.
Which bottles have you got Joy are they the older style or the new R67?

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I expect gaslow are similar to my alugas. The monitor reads full until it gets below half, then goes down as gas is used. It's because of the positioning of the float

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Which bottles have you got Joy are they the older style or the new R67?
Hi Andy, sorry I don't know. When I go to my mh at the farm I will photo them. They are orangey red and about the size of the 11kg ones .. and I have two. Will come back tomorrow with a photo. :)

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Gasit then?
Broken Link Removed

do your gauges look like this? if they do then they don't begin to move until the bottle is half empty. They only indicate the last 50% of the contents
gaslow%20gauge.jpg

Last edited:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Thank you @Techno Appreciate that.... It was Autogas2000 who fitted them and I have no complaints. :)

Sorry @Dorset Diver ... I hope this information of help to you too and someone along soon to help with your full query.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
If it's a worry for you about refilling? I'll happily go with you for support to top it up at Chester

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
A quick update. Been in touch with Gaslow and it would appear that Southdown's have fitted a non-Gaslow filler. The suspicion is that its built-in non-return valve did not work correctly. I will update when I have more info.

Attachments

• PC062629.JPG
    PC062629.JPG
    160.8 KB · Views: 81
Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
A quick update. Been in touch with Gaslow and it would appear that Southdown's have fitted a non-Gaslow filler. The suspicion is that its built-in non-return valve did not work correctly. I will update when I have more info.

I don't think that the non-Gaslow fill point will have anything to do with it.

The non return valve will be on the Gaslow cylinder. (That may be what you meant when you said 'its built in non return valve', but not sure whether 'it' referred to the cylinder or the fill point).

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
How do you connect to that, our internal one sticks out and the filler nozzle goes over it , yours appears to go inside.

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
I meant the fill point. There is a non-return valve on each cylinder and the filler. What appears to have happened is that when I tried to disconnect the pump nozzle the NRV did not seal and the pipework emptied rather than retaining the gas as it should have done.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I don't think that the non-Gaslow fill point will have anything to do with it.

The non return valve will be on the Gaslow cylinder. (That may be what you meant when you said 'its built in non return valve', but not sure whether 'it' referred to the cylinder or the fill point).
Both the gaslow bottle and filler hose connection have non return valves. If the fill connection he has doesn't have a non return valve then the liquid contents of the hose will spill out upon disconnection.

EDIT beat me to it (y)

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Andy the filler should have an NRV but it appears to be faulty. Now a work in progress to fix.

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Well you learn something everyday - I just thought it was on the cylinder and that the 'poof' of gas on release was from the hose.

I suppose thinking about it, if it's a really long filler hose then that could be quite a bit of gas, so it makes sense that the fill point would also have a non return valve.

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Just tested the NRV in the filler pipe. It is still under pressure and I'm wondering if it should still be :unsure:. The good news is that having momentarily caused it to open it resealed perfectly.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
We have an under-slung bulk tank but with the same filler as yours.

On one occasion when filling I had the same problem as you with liquid lpg spilling out ... pretty scary at the time!

I stopped the flow by reattaching the nozzle, giving time to think, and then freed the nrv with a plastic pen on removing the nozzle again.

The most important lesson for me was to ensure absolutely that anything likely to cause a spark is isolated before filling and to have a small dowel or non metallic pen to hand.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Just tested the NRV in the filler pipe. It is still under pressure and I'm wondering if it should still be :unsure:. The good news is that having momentarily caused it to open it resealed perfectly.
Yes it will be under pressure as its full of liquid gas, not vapour.
As you released the pressure to test, the liquid gas turned to vapour at a vastly higher volume than the liquid so instantly resealed when you released the valve.
The vapour pressure will remain constant until there is no liquid gas left to vapourise.

From memory, the gas will expand to around 270 times its volume as it coverts from liquid to vapour.

Just found this....Nowt wrong with my memory then. :D

LPG Gaseous Expansion

LPG expands to 270 times the volume when it goes from liquid to gas.
So, 1L of liquid LPG (propane) equals 270L of gaseous LPG.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Yes it will be under pressure as its full of liquid gas, not vapour.
As you released the pressure to test, the liquid gas turned to vapour at a vastly higher volume than the liquid so instantly resealed when you released the valve.
The vapour pressure will remain constant until there is no liquid gas left to vapourise.

From memory, the gas will expand to around 270 times its volume as it coverts from liquid to vapour.

Just found this....Nowt wrong with my memory then. :D

@pappajohn thanks for the theory. I'm pleased your brain is still working well, not so sure about mine. Now a question. If there is an NRV in each cylinder and one in the filler connector is there a time when the filler hose pressure will drop off other than as the result of a leak?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
How do you connect to that, our internal one sticks out and the filler nozzle goes over it , yours appears to go inside.

Its one of these with a removable bayonet:

Broken Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back