Thinking of putting Air Suspension on AlKo low level chassis (1 Viewer)

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
The Augusta is very low down at the rear, using AlKo torsion bar suspension. I've heard good things about air assisted suspension.

I know many of you guys and gals have gone down this route and all I've ever heard is good, are there down sides?

What should I look for in a offering? Are there recommended implementers? Any horrors to avoid?

I did vaguely hear that some unscrupulous dealer was taking deposits but failing to deliver?

Thanks

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Have a look on Marcle liesures website for Alko . Not all Alko chassis can have it fitted. Mine tapers upwards after the axle and this cannot accommodate air assistance. However because mine is a 2400kg axle it doesn't need any help.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I have the AS-Airsuspension fitted on my Autocruise Augusta ... It's a brilliant system with on board compressor controlled from the cab. They are really great people to deal with and give a great service.
My only disappointment is that it only lifts my m/h rear by about 50-60mm but I'm sure this could be improved.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I think your link refers to leaf Spring suspension, and the OP is wanting it for torsion bar. It's got to be Alko's own :(
When I clicked on the details for no 2 (Alko single chassis) it says torsion bar ... it was only an example as I don't know exactly what the OP has.

upload_2016-3-3_14-34-14.png

OP
OP
Augusta08

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
Thanks all, Joyce & Brian are right it's a single axle rated at 2400Kgs I have asked as-airsuspension to quote it for me.

I've been using it for towing from day one (April 08) but recent upgrade to trailer/car means I've got 2000kgs hanging out the back, and I've always wanted a bit more stability.

I recently had a little windfall, and did go to the NEC 2 weeks ago to look for a new van, but nothing suited better than the old Augusta.

So I'm looking at the upgrade, I think it's about £1700 fitted?

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Thanks all, Joyce & Brian are right it's a single axle rated at 2400Kgs I have asked as-airsuspension to quote it for me.

I've been using it for towing from day one (April 08) but recent upgrade to trailer/car means I've got 2000kgs hanging out the back, and I've always wanted a bit more stability.

I recently had a little windfall, and did go to the NEC 2 weeks ago to look for a new van, but nothing suited better than the old Augusta.

So I'm looking at the upgrade, I think it's about £1700 fitted?

As I said you probably won't get a lot of extra lift but the AS system would certainly stabilize the rear end for towing.

I know what you mean about finding a better m/h than the Augusta, we keep looking but found nothing that would give us any advantages,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back