Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I'm about to head off to the Continent on my first extended trip and I am looking for some (very basic) guidance about filling the Lpg tank. When I bought the van last October it had about a half tank so I've never had to fill it.

1. What adapters will I need?
2 Is all adapter quality the same or is there a recommended brand(s)?
3. Is filling more complicated than petrol? (does it shut off when the tank is full or just explode ;-))
4. Which country is cheapest? I'm not in a hurry so I will probably have the choice of France Spain and Portugal.

Any advice, suggestions or links would be appreciated!

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
It's all cheap abroad. You don't say exactly where you are going but there are 3 different adaptors available as a set from Autogas which should be sufficient for most places.

I have always found it easier filling up in Europe than in UK. And it stops when it's full! It does not explode!

You may find this useful, as provision is patchy in some countries. Do your research before you go!

Upvote 0

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Price today in Belgium
Cheapest €0:26 per lt
In Brugge this morning €0:29 per lt
I think the maximum prici is €0:374

Broken Link Removed

Mel

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
If you've never filled an LPG tank before just be prepared for the release of residual gas when you disconnect the hose.

Had I not been aware of this (saw a vid on youtube) I may well have poo'd my pants!

Can't find the vid I saw but this one will show you what I mean - scroll forward to about the 4 min mark to see what I mean.

Upvote 0
Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
It is an area that had concerned me as well.

At the recent NEC show Eddie VanBitz spent a lot of time with me explaining all aspects of this.

If he's close enough, take a drive over and fill there with help and assistance.

Upvote 0

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
If you download these 2 apps you can check prices to get the best one near you.

FillLPG Beta - we use this in the uk
My LPG.eu mobile - for most of Europe

When you're looking for stations just make sure that they are pumped LPG as this also lists some of the bottled gas venues.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Triple7

Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Triple7

Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Price today in Belgium
Cheapest €0:26 per lt
In Brugge this morning €0:29 per lt
I think the maximum prici is €0:374

Broken Link Removed

Mel
I'm heading south from St Malo so unfortunately won't benefit from Belgian prices...... In Bruges? Let's see how many film titles we can slip into this thread lol

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Triple7

Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
If you've never filled an LPG tank before just be prepared for the release of residual gas when you disconnect the hose.

Had I not been aware of this (saw a vid on youtube) I may well have poo'd my pants!

Can't find the vid I saw but this one will show you what I mean - scroll forward to about the 4 min mark to see what I mean.

That's a very useful link; reassuring :) Thanks

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Triple7

Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
If you download these 2 apps you can check prices to get the best one near you.

FillLPG Beta - we use this in the uk
My LPG.eu mobile - for most of Europe

When you're looking for stations just make sure that they are pumped LPG as this also lists some of the bottled gas venues.
I never thought there might be an app. Thanks.

By the way on a totally different topic. I was on the roof of the van this morning and discovered the plastic moulding which routes the sat dish cable is coming unstuck. Can anybody recommend a sealant? Thanks

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Triple7

Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
It is an area that had concerned me as well.

At the recent NEC show Eddie VanBitz spent a lot of time with me explaining all aspects of this.

If he's close enough, take a drive over and fill there with help and assistance.

I'm glad it's not just me then. It's probably a bit far to travel and I won't need gas for a while but thanks for the suggestion.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back